How do you play Baldur's Gate?

berelinde

I've always found it fascinating that the Baldur's Gate series can be played so many different ways. Everyone has their own playing style.

Understanding the different playing styles might be enjoyable, but it might also help me improve my game. It might help me get out of a rut, but it might also be helpful in getting more out of NPCs.

In each of the following questions, please go into as much detail as you need to explain the preference. "I solo because I like to develop a single character" is more helpful than "I solo."

1 How many NPCs do you usually include (for solo, 0)?

2 Do you prefer a themed party (all good, all evil, all mages, all wizard slayers, etc.) or do you prefer a balanced party in terms of class and alignment?

3 Does NPC personality influence your party composition?

4 Does an NPC quest influence you party composition?

5 Does NPC power influence your party composition?

6 Regarding your PC (player 1), do you single-class, dual-, or multi-?

7 How powerful do you want your PC to be in terms of the challenges posed by the game?

8 How powerful do you want your PC to be compared to the NPCs?

9 How do you utilize multi-classed characters?

10 How do you use 'specialty-class' characters (bards, monks, specialty kits)?

Five, unless I'm saving a seat for someone. I'm playing for storyline, so I want as much NPC interaction as possible.

2 Do you prefer a themed party (all good, all evil, all mages, all wizard slayers, etc.) or do you prefer a balanced party in terms of class and alignment?

Loosely themed. I don't usually have a lot of evil NPCs, but I do include them sometimes to watch the interactions. I tend to use my party as kind of a giant multi-class entity, so I prefer 6 single-class participants as opposed to a few multi-purpose ones.

Absolutely. Some NPCs are just so annoying, I keep them around only when necessary to complete a quest, or not at all. Others get included even if I don't have an immediate use for them because I like them.

Yes. I'll keep an otherwise offensive NPC around for a while if he's got a good quest.

Only to a certain degree. I'm not worried if an NPC can't be used as a tank because of poor combat skills, or if a mage has to take frequent breaks because of a low constitution, but I am not overly fond of NPCs that don't have decent abilities for their class, nor of NPCs of a class I don't know how to use.

As I tend to view the party as a giant multi-class entity rather than a collection of multi-class individuals, I prefer that everyone, including the pc, be good at their job. When I'm deciding on long-term party composition, I take the races/classes/alignment of planned NPCs into consideration when writing up my PC. If I know I haven't got a cleric, pc will be a cleric.

7 How powerful do you want your PC to be in terms of the challenges posed by the game?

Adequate. I don't want it to be so easy that I don't have to think about it, but I don't want to have to reload 10 times until I come up with a strategy that works.

On par. I know that the popular belief is that NPCs should be the PCs supporting cast and that they should be less powerful than the PC, but I disagree. OK, PC is the one calling the shots, so it would be appropriate if he had a few more XP perhaps, or maybe an extra point or two of charisma to justify why everyone follows his lead, but I don't necessarily think PC should be superhuman.

(Edited, because my initial response was downright offensive--sorry.)

I don't. I prefer each NPC to fulfil a single function. They should be good at what they do. Sometimes, I'll include a multi-class either because they have a cool story or because they fill gaps left because I included similarly classed NPCs because I liked thier stories. But usually, I like the party to advance in level and power at a similar rate, so I don't use multi-classes much.

I don't. I started playing RPG in 1976, and there were no bards/monks/specialty kits, so I learned to play without them. After bards were introduced, they were originally a variation on dual-classing. IIRC, they went through a certain number of classes as a fighter, magic-user, and thief before becoming a bard. I never saw much point in dualing a character that many times, so I never bothered. And I was too lazy to try it out once the official bard class was introduced. As for monks, etc., same story: I could do what I needed with existing classes, so I never bothered with some of the more highly evolved ones.

I'm usually wandering around with a core of 2-3, and then pick-ups for their quests

I like to keep a good party, of mixed skills. Need at least Thief/Cleric/Mage to work. Single Tank/everyone else Ranged is my usual flavor.

Oh, yeah, I can't abide an obnoxious NPC. Get 'em out fast. But I like Jan and dislike Nalia.

I take every NPC I can to get their quest done.

More whether they can do the job of their role. I don't like the limited choice in theives in BGII. I'd have loved to have had Alora come over instead of Minsc.

Dual or multi, as the whim strikes me. Typically Thief to mage. Swashbuckler to 10 then Mage is nice.

I want the only difficulty to be the final Hell battle by the end. Generally, I have no trouble except for Boss fights.

Overwhelming.

Utility man - Jan, for example, is a theif who can use spells in combat. Anomen is a cleric with somewhat better early combat. Nalia is a mage with no usable theif skills, same with Imoen. Jaheira is a Druid with better THAC0 at a huge cost in leveling.

Bards are mages with better combat; most kits are essentially the same as main class, but tuned for a style of play. Monks and Wild Mages are freaks. monk has such a long time he has to stay in the back, it's frustrating - but once he can get below about AC -8 he's going to be up their tanking.

Nice Topic :hm:

I allways use the five slots for NPCs

I tend to stick with a balanced party with the exception of evil chars :blush:

Indeed, there are a few NPC whom I find annoying.

Nay I would say, but it's nice with NPC quests.

No. I never bring Sarewok with me, but often Nalia.

In 95% of all games it's a multi.

A bit over level - only a bit. I want to be godly...

As in that last question

I misuse every bit of ability :D

Beside never using monks then yes

To me, the answers you give are useful, because it lets me see the role you'd like the NPCs to fill and the attitude you'd like them to take toward the PC.

The insight into playing styles is invaluable, but I'm getting something else out of it, a hidden agenda, if you will forgive the cliche. I'm also hoping to learn the most satisfactory balance between NPC power and personality, and the relative importance of NPCs in making the game enjoyable for the player.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I hope more people do, since I'd like to base my findings on as broad a cross-section of the playing population as possible, but it *is* a rather long questionaire.

This is a very interesting topic to read, so here are my own answers:

I like to have a full party of five plus my PC, and only drop an NPC if I want to replace them with another one straightaway. One of my favorite parts of playing is NPC interaction, and more NPCs also make fights more interesting, so what is there to lose, really?

I generally play good-aligned characters, so it seems appropriate for them to have a mostly good-aligned party, with perhaps one or two evil-aligned NPCs in there to make things more interesting. I almost always end up with a varied party - the usual thief, mage, cleric and a fighter or two, though I have thought of trying an all-mage or all-cleric party.

It does, although I can't say that any of the original NPCs' personalities strike me so negatively that I'd never include them in a party. I even like Aerie! :blush: I do have a hard time letting go of NPCs like Imoen whom the game practically begs you to take along - the game sets them up as your friends, and I fall for it every time. :hm:

Sometimes; for example, I usually take Valygar and Nalia along when I do their respective quests. However if my party is already full up and I don't feel like making the NPC a long-term addition, I'll usually skip the quest altogether instead of going to the trouble of rearranging everything.

Not individual power so much as how they fit with the group. I take a somewhat flexible approach to difficulty, as outlined below, so power level isn't the most important thing for me. If I consider anything apart from personality I think "I need a mage, so I'll pick whichever one would be the most interesting addition to my party".

My favorite choice is a multi-classed fighter/mage, but aside from that I usually play single-class.

This varies quite a bit as I play - sometimes I want my party to go through enemies like a knife through butter, sometimes I want to play through challenging battles and barely come out alive. I apply difficulty modifications and shameless cheating as appropriate.

Slightly more powerful, but not by much. The PC is the star of the show, but I think it would be too improbable for him/her to be better than all the rest of the party put together. When rolling up a character I aim to get a number of points comparable to the stronger NPCs of the game (apart from the occasional charisma boost from ShadowKeeper). More important to me when I'm creating a PC is that he/she has a personality that makes them as interesting to me as the NPCs are - the PC is not a representation of me so much as another character I'm kicking around from my position as the Great Controller of All behind the computer screen. This is all in my head, but it's an important part of the experience for me.

I think of and use them as single-classed characters with a little twist, so that the abilities of one class serve mostly to complement the other. For example, I use my favorite fighter/mage multi-class PC as a fighter who relies on spells rather than armor for boosting AC and skills - the trade-off is that while her spells do this better than armor, they can be dispelled or wear off whereas armor doesn't.

Kits are interesting to try, but with my feeble grasp of strategy they don't make too much difference to my playing style. I think they are a good way to make your PC "special" without having overinflated stats, though. A PC with some nifty special abilities is more plausible and fun to play than one who is simply overpowered.

Well, I am almost strictly Tutu for a year now, but look forward (someday) to a full run. My answers are heavily weighted towards playing between Candlekeep and the Drow challenges in Underdark; I have replayed up to that point several times using Tutu and importing to BG2. I have never met the Elves or completed BG2, so I have not even seen the TOB portion. That being said,

I usually try for a 6 player party as fast as possible, even picking up "evil" companions at the beginning in order to maximize interactions. That holds true for both games. I think the story is much more enjoyable when there are multi-NPC conversations of which Player1 is a part, rather than the 1 on 1 conversations between NPC and Player1.

I am woefully single-minded; I play good characters, and generally my party picks up an evil or neutral player only long enough to have some interaction and a quest, if it can be done from a "good" perspective. I would be the kind of player who would jump at a "Third Way" mod where there are less distasteful ways of getting to Spellhold; and I automatically change Jaheira to Neutral Good in any game where she is going to be a full-time companion.

I cannot seem to break very far from the "canon" Bioware NPCs in BG2; I am going to try Saerileth on the next BG2 run, because she is a Paladin, and I would kind of like to have Keldorn, PC, Saerileth, perhaps Mazzy if she is modded to a Paladin, Minsc, and Aeirie (I do wish there was a better good Cleric/Wizard; in an alternate fantasy reality, NMinsc would be a Cleric and Dynaheir would be the Mage. Perhaps Aeirie will be easier to handle wihout the romance being active?). I like the idea of a balanced group of tough people dedicated to wiping Bhaal from the face of the Great Wheel completely. (Plus, I want to play with Sethra Lavode along to make sure that if things get too tough, there is a handy God-Killer along!).

Yes. I will play revolving door with slot 6 all the way through Tutu. No. I don't revolve anyone I can help in BG2 - it is bad enough I have to switch out Imoen however plot-driven it may be.

Nope. Not at all. Edwin is arguably the best Mage; I only have brought him along on test runs to see the fireworks. A game I am going to invest real time in would see him captured, or failing that killed. Unfortunately, I tend to play Crusader types - help everyone possible, but if detect evil says "fbad guy", well, there is always conversion by the sword (thank goodness this is a fantasy - I am NOT like that in RL!)

Male Cavalier. Sometimes Paladin. Very occasionally an Inquisitor ("No one expects the Spanish Inquisition"). Once, I tried a LG female half-elven fighter/magic user with a cute little Pseudo-Dragon through Tutu, and made it most of the way through the Ajantis romance, but that was for testing. I kept thinking I qwas in a DragonRiders of Pern novel, and decided that I would go back to reading the dialogues as a story rather than continue. I hope that I will return to that character; she did a great job, and I think if I had taken her more seriously, she could have been one of the most interseting stories i had ever played; I just got bogged down in testing and could not make a good enough suspension of disbelief.

I play on core rules, but tend to have Tweaks make it possible to have all of the magic items stack... so generally, I want CHARNAME to be strong enough to win the battles in spite of my occasional tactical silliness. Gronard-wise, I'm ok and can even handle myself fine with some of the big Avalon Hill /SSI games; put magic in the mix, and I am decidedly NOT the best tactician around :blush:.

CHARNAME is a super-powered vehicle for the return of a major God. I have troubles seeing him as much less than overpowering; I try for heavy stats, and if I am impatient I save and SK the lowest stats up above 14. I very seldom use ctr-8, but have done so a few games.

Badly. I tend to forget the second class in a firefight, and rely on the "primary" class. I am still learning the BG equivalent of force multipliers and Combined Arms attacks; magic as a defensive and offensive artillery/mortar combo, archery as sniper/air superiority (through spellcaster interrupt), Clerical healing as replacement/reinforcement, sword/shield attack as infantry suppression and assault. Since I tend to compartmentalize these, I often forget that while Aerie is my Artillery, she also is my reinforcement pool...

I have not. I want to expand my gameplay; working on BG1 NPC has taught me that my fundamental approach to the game (one character, starting in Candlekeep, clearing every map and doing most quests that can be accomplishe in a "good path" all in one game) is flawed. I have been playing the series as a movie or trilogy about one character, his interactions with the fantasy world, and trying to shoehorn all of the interactions possible into one game. I think that is why I have never finished the whole trilogy. A more open, variable approach only tackling a few quests and keeping the story moving forwards would stop that "trudging through Underdark again... who do I have to kill this time?" feeling, and would let me actually experience a huge amount more. It also explains why Domi's (and Kulyoks's, Jastey's, Andyr's, etc., etc.) work was so powerful to me. Without BG1 NPC, in my playstyle Tutu is a very lonely preparation for BG2!

I haven't actually player BG series that many times, if you don't count testing as 'playing'.

Four, because we play multiplayer game with two PCs.

Mix and match. Usually our party is leaning towards good neutral character, but there's always room for one bad boy (or girl). We have played once with heavily themed party of anti arcane magic users party (in BG2 also anti thief because neither of the PCs was a thief and all thieves, save Yoshimo, in BG2 are arcane magic users).

Yes.

Yes.

No. BG series are easy enough to 'beat' (I hate that expression with great passion; it's a true enemy of a RPG) without maxing out you characters.

Single class characters have been more common, but it's not something I hold on to.

Fairly powerful, though with all the enthralments provided in the game PC starting 'power' matters a little.

Usually my PC ends up more powerful than the other NPCs, but in the last game we player my PC was actually the one that was easiest to run over. It didn't bother me really, though.

I'm not sure I do. Certainly I usually try to keep one thief, one cleric(or druid) and mage in the parry, but if those classes come with multi or single class package, it matter's little.

As a novelty. In addition they're good way to bring little more detailed background to the character and to connect him/her more to the story. A wild mage for example makes a great bhaalspawn, I think.

As many as it's possible. I usually play Ironman, so I like to have additional firepower.

It depends on personality of my PC.

Yes. Some of my PC can't get along with certain NPCs.

No. I try to awoid metagaming.

Sometimes. It depends on the PC.

It depends on the PC.

I want my PC as powerful as ey wants/can.

As powerful as it is realistic. I.E. I don't want any NPCs that are more powerful than it their background allows.

Usually I use a point & click interface. Sometimes I use hot-keys.

As above.

I've usually got a full party. Some I intend keeping with me as long as possible while with others I bring them in for their quest and then drop them (Valygar and Nalia most often fall into that category)

Themed is more common now, after playing through as many times as I have. I usually have an idea of what sort of personality my PC has before I think about anything else, and that influences which NPCs I have in the party.

Yes. As I answered in Q2, I know what sort of personality I want my PC to show, so I have to take that into consideration to feel I'm being honest with the game. Though if I'm honest there's one NPC who I almost always drop from my party not because of personality or theme or anything else but because I hate the voice-set.

Some NPCs get into the party specifically so I can do the quest, so yes.

I don't think it matters very much, as just about any NPC is useful if used sensibly.

I've done all of those. Most often single-, then multi-, only rarely dual-classed.

I don't care, because I'm not often playing for the tactical challenge, so all I want is to be able to get past critical encounters.

The game ones are good backup characters for the main ones of each type. So Jaheira might not be my main fighter, but is still tough enough to take over if the tank is out of action or weakening. Jan isn't the top mage, but has useful spells which Edwin might not be able to cast and can fill the thief role well enough. It's only with my own PCs that I really get the best out of a multi-class character.

They vary a lot. A bard like Haer-Dalis with the blade kit can serve as an auxiliary fighter, as a lesser spellcaster, and even has some thief skills. Garrick in BG1/tutu is most useful at enhancing others abilities with spells, though with the Jester kit he's devestating to enemy mobs. Most of the speciality kits don't make enough difference to the basic class to be tactically different, though a kensai what is the most basic function of a fighter by leaving armour off and being impossible to tank with. As for monks, I use them as backups to the main fighter character, attacking enemies who the tank is being targeted by.

This is great. I really appreciate the feedback. And I thank each and every one of those who already responded, because the survey does take some time to complete. And, from the responses I've seen so far, you guys are really giving me some valuable information.

This message is not the end of the survey, though. I value each and every contribution. Heck, I'd even appreciate something like "berelinde, you need to get a life" or "You know, this is a complete waste of time."

If anyone is curious about alternate viewpoints, my boyfriend falls in the so far silent population that doesn't really do NPCs. He generates 6 characters and plays multi-player, and is an unrepentant powergamer. He really hates the banter and interjections of BioWare and modded NPCs. But there is room for that, too, in BG.

If anyone is curious about alternate viewpoints, my boyfriend falls in the so far silent population that doesn't really do NPCs. He generates 6 characters and plays multi-player, and is an unrepentant powergamer. He really hates the banter and interjections of BioWare and modded NPCs. But there is room for that, too, in BG.

That's one reason I separated the banter (and romance) from the core for my NPC. I think it can be awfully heavy, too :-)

All five. Never want to miss on a chance for more interactions.

Balanced party, both in terms of classes and alignments. But I always try to make as Elf-heavy party as possible. In BG2 it is tricky because there is no good front-line elven fighter.

Yes, I would not play with an NPC I dislike.

No.

No. I think all NPCs can be brought up to a level where they are perfectly good.

Anything, though I prefer fighter-druids, cleric-rangers and bards.

Powerful enough to go through the game

About the same, ie maybe one 18.

Fighter-Mage or Fighter-Cleric. Basically, a front-liner who casts spells before the battle or when s/he has to fall back.

I don't really consider them any different than "pure" classes. I make them do what the situation demands.

Archived