First time BG user set up instructions

geethreeuser

KelseyTOBV22.exe

Saerileth (ver=?)

Yasraena (ver=?)

Auren-v4.exe

Xan_v2.exe

Because of the many comparatively large audio files they typically introduce, installing lots of mod NPCs at once can slow even the more powerful systems down to a crawl. With Valen and Solaufein this is less of an issue because there's no voicing, but it would likely be best to limit the more comprehensive NPC mods to two or three (I'd classify all of the above as comprehensive NPC mods). I look forward to trying Auren myself, but given that the ToB part isn't out yet it probably isn't the best choice for a "first run" of SoA-ToB.

Please consider *not* Baldurdashing your BG2 game and use the BG2 FixPack instead -- if a mod *requires* Baldurdash instead of the BG2 Fixpack, then I would consider not installing that mod. There is no reason to strap yourself into a well-built but ancient Corsair turboprop fighter (no matter how much tinkering has been done) when you have an F-111 warmed up, on the flight deck, and ready to go... especially when the Corsair has no flight support team, and the F-111 has the resources of an entire carrier battle-group :)
Heartily seconded. There are only a few mods that obstinately refuse to cooperate with the Fixpack instead of Baldurdash, and anyway it doesn't look like you're planning on including any of those.

[Advice taken, and collated. Here is the revised modlist results so far--further comments very welcome---BTW, I figure most of the NPC mods listed, but not likely to be used all at the same time (if at all), I will just install them and let the player choose to taste with no spoilers from me (that's the whole point--he has no foreknowledge of any of this). I HOPE I am leaning toward prudent/conservative package, yet still inlcusive of the coolest "bells and whistles" as it were...]

IN ORDER OF INSTALL as of 2006.10.12.2:

-BG1TOTSC stock

-BG2+TOB stock

-TOB bioware patch26498

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FOR TOTSC (two options):

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

(option 1: "old school")

-FotDv105.rar ('fields of the dead')

-BG1UB-v3.exe ('BG1 unfinished business')

--OR--

(option 1: "fast and furious" option...for a stable easytutu conversion)

-EasyTutu_ToB.exe v.?'current'?

-EasyTutu Degreenifier.v.4

-tutufix.v.17

-BG1NPC-v12Beta2.exe Sword Coast Stratagems.v.3 (except for "skip candlekeep" cheat

component),

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

as for the SOA portion:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

-BG2_Fixpack-Beta3.exe

-Ascension-WeiDU-v1.4.21.exe

-TurnaboutV1.exe

-Weimer-Valen-v45.exe

-Weimer-SolaufeinMod-v102.exe

-LongerRoad_v1.5.1.exe (include this one??? if yes, include it elsewere???)

----

-NPC_Tweak-v3.0.exe (omit totemic cernd--dunno if current version???)

-Totemic_Cernd-v1.6.exe (current version for sure)

-KelseyTOBV22.exe

-saerilethv13.rar

-yasraenav8german.rar

-Xan_v2.exe

(other NPC mods here)

-D0QuestPack.v23

-BanterPackv6.exe

-NPCFlirtV101.exe

(other quest mods go here)

-UnfinishedBusiness-v15.exe

-Weimer-Underrep-v5.exe

-Weimer-ItemUpgrade-v34.exe (less the ugrades that may involve 'symbol of amuanator')

(other item mods go here)

-Oversight-v9.exe

-PnPCelestials-v4.exe

-Improved_Horns-v1.2.exe

-BG2_Tweaks-v3.exe (EXcluding multi-stronghold and multi-romance components, AND all convenience cheats save perhaps INcluding 'Shut Up "You Must Gather Your Party ..." (Weimer)', 'Low Reputation Store Discount'; 'Use BG2 stats' option for NPC "consistent stats" components)

(other tweak mods go here)

I would definitely recommend going with NPC Tweak (v3) over Totemic Cernd - the latter gives Cernd 94 stat points, (up from 80!) and IMHO that level of stats should basically be reserved for Bhaalspawn.

As for tweak mods, The D0Tweak pack has a few components worth considering for both Tutu and BG2 portions - especially Enhanced Goodberries and Sensible Lore Table. (the latter is admittedly a subjective recommendation)

Re: Tutu: there are a few more (optional but excellent) EasyTutu addons, notably EasyTutuNPCKits and EasyTutuSpawnRandomizer. There's also a hotfix archive that you may want to include - all three of these are at http://www.usoutpost31.com/easytutu

I would definitely recommend going with NPC Tweak (v3) over Totemic Cernd - the latter gives Cernd 94 stat points, (up from 80!) and IMHO that level of stats should basically be reserved for Bhaalspawn.

As for tweak mods, The D0Tweak pack has a few components worth considering for both Tutu and BG2 portions - especially Enhanced Goodberries and Sensible Lore Table. (the latter is admittedly a subjective recommendation)

Re: Tutu: there are a few more (optional but excellent) EasyTutu addons, notably EasyTutuNPCKits and EasyTutuSpawnRandomizer. There's also a hotfix archive that you may want to include - all three of these are at http://www.usoutpost31.com/easytutu

1. Cernd noted.

2. I am reading how to integrate DOtweak pack (exe from tutu or BG2???).

3. Cannot find the hotfix archive---what is that anyhow?

Thanks

1. Cernd noted.

2. I am reading how to integrate DOtweak pack (exe from tutu or BG2???).

3. Cannot find the hotfix archive---what is that anyhow?

2. If you mean whether it's for Tutu or BG2, it's actually compatible with both. (some of its components are BG2-only, meaning that if it detects a Tutu install it won't let you install those)

3. EasyTutu hotfixes are here. It's like a "mini-fixpack" - read more about it here.

I agree with Lemernis insofar as everyone should play unmodded BG2 all the way through *once*. Please note that I did *not* say that no fixpacks should be applied.
I agree with them two. For a first-timer, or an old-timer who's pratically a first-time: no mods, vanilla BG1/BG2. {BG2 Fixpack as a, well, fixpack, or no Fixpack at all for the purist.}

I admire the adventurous n00bies who wants to play a miniMegaInstall, but I hope they are ready and willing to deal with problems as they inevitably arise.

[update--I implemented the following modlist as a "test run". It went well, but for Sword Coast Stratagems.v.3 install, where the weidu installer executed, but could not locate the first files it checked to beign the install, defaulting to the "quit" option. Dunno what happened, so I reverted back to a clean install, and tried again, arbitrarily leaving out tutu degreeifier (mainly to save time) and also left out Sword Coast Stratagems altogether, for now at least--I will have another go at it if you guys spot something I did obviously wrong. Other than that the functionality seems to be fine--at least Tutu made it down past beregost to the mines, and the only thing that sticks out is the "gather your party" voiceover is still there...]

IN ORDER OF INSTALL as of 2006.10.12.2:

-BG1TOTSC stock

-BG2+TOB stock

-TOB bioware patch26498

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FOR TOTSC (two options):

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

(option 1: "old school")

-FotDv105.rar ('fields of the dead')

-BG1UB-v3.exe ('BG1 unfinished business')

--OR--

(option 1: "fast and furious" option...for a stable easytutu conversion)

-EasyTutu_ToB.exe (v.???current)

-EasyTutu Degreenifier.v.4 (exe from tutu dir)

-EasyTutuNPCKits-v2.exe (exe from tutu dir; 1st thing right after degreenifier!)

-tutufix.v.17 (exe from tutu dir; must run setup-tutufix.exe right after install)

-hotfixpack

-EasyTutuSpawnRandomizer-v3.exe

-BG1NPC-v12Beta2.exe (exe from BG2SOA dir, option 2 on locations)

-Sword Coast Stratagems.v.3 (except for "skip candlekeep" cheat component) (exe from tutu dir)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

as for the SOA portion:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

-BG2_Fixpack-Beta3.exe

-TurnaboutV1.exe

-Weimer-Valen-v45.exe

----

-NPC_Tweak-v3.0.exe (anomen, nalia, cernd)

-Totemic_Cernd-v1.6.exe (powergame only)

-KelseyTOBV22.exe

-saerilethv13.rar

-yasraenav8german.rar

-Xan_v2.exe

(other NPC mods here)

-D0QuestPack.v23

-BanterPackv6.exe

-NPCFlirtV101.exe

-Weimer-Underrep-v5.exe

-Weimer-ItemUpgrade-v34.exe (less the ugrades that may involve 'symbol of amuanator')

-Oversight-v9.exe

-PnPCelestials-v4.exe

-Improved_Horns-v1.2.exe

---

-BG2_Tweaks-v3.exe (EXcluding multi-stronghold and multi-romance components, AND all convenience cheats save perhaps INcluding 'Shut Up "You Must Gather Your Party ..." (Weimer)', 'Low Reputation Store Discount'; 'Use BG2 stats' option for NPC "consistent stats" components)

-D0Tweak_v18.exe

(EXcluding these components--

4: Reintroduce Dimension Door

5: Tweaked Weapon Enchantments

10: Kill Cespenar

16: Remove Quayle Portrait

17: Dream Flag

19: The_Bigg's Improved Backstabbing

21: CamDawg's Reduced Walking Speeds

22: Ghreyfain's BG1-Style Summoning Spells (covered in tutufix)

otherwise DOTweaks LOOKS appealing...)

Please forgive me if I'm asking something that is obvious, but are you absolutely certain that you installed SCS in your Tutu directory? Because you use Easy Tutu, by far the most sensible choice for an English-speaking player, it might be necessary to change your default prior to installation. I know that some mods give the default directory as BG2 SoA, because Tutu v 4 (regular Tutu, which is older and used to be the only way to install Tutu) is a total conversion of BG2.

I cannot tell you how many times I have installed mods in the wrong directory, or attempted to do so and wondered why it didn't work.

One other thing you might want to do is make a backup directory containing copies of the Override folder, chitin.key, BGmain.exe, dialog.tlk, and baldur.ini (should run about thirty megabytes of space for Baldur's Gate 2 + Throne of Bhaal - Tutu I don't know about). This saves you from having to reinstall in case something goes catastrophically wrong with a mod. Chances are it will never ever be used...but better safe than sorry :)

[Other than that the functionality seems to be fine--at least Tutu made it down past beregost to the mines, and the only thing that sticks out is the "gather your party" voiceover is still there...]
The BG2 Tweak pack is fully compatible with Tutu - you can install the "shut up you must gather your party etc..." component on the Tutu install as well.

There is no longer any compatibility issue with ItemUpgrade and the BG2 Fixpack - fixed with ItemUpgrade v33 IIRC.

Update:

Just wanted to forward a verbal "thank you so much!" to all concerned--I installed the topic modlist for this bud of mine on his new (to him) PC, and the final package is greatly appreaciated by the receiving party.

Something along the lines of "...it is all I imagined it would be and more..."

So, a "job well done" to you guys.

I also intend to set him up with a warcraft3 install and diablo2. That should keep him out of trouble for a good while.

This BG mod install appears mostly stable, smooth, and functional, with only a very few "tweak" componenets turned out to be nonfunctional (they errored out in the DOS batch installer--in particular, I can't get the "two-handed use" of bastardswords/katana tweak to show up, and the "kaigan" bug (involving crashing while entering/exiting the "Beregost" area with kaigin joined) is definately present and accounted for (no biggie; maybe I got the "wrong" order of install of a few specific components). Also, the SCS readme has a typo-- SCS has to be extracted/executed/setup FROM the tutu dir TO the tutu dir (NOT from the BG2SOA dir, as stated in SCS readme)....

Also, on an related note, I have noted a semi-consisitent failure of my 3-disk "BG the original saga" install process to copy "cd5" data and movie files to hardrive-- I had to copy/paste this manually (easy tutu would not execute, due to not finding said files (the 'tip-off'), but easytutu worked fine after the files were in the proper place). Not sure why, may be WinXP compatability issues...but this was a clean istall on a formatted C: drive....who knows?

I will no doubt hear of the progress this install acheives, and can pass along updates regarding that if it might be of use.

Just FYI the modlist pathway followed is noted below (to default "c:\programs\Black Isle\***" location) as per readme's of the various mods.....

IN ORDER OF INSTALL as of 2006.10.13:

[disregarding "(other item mods go here)" notes]

-BG1TOTSC stock

-BG2+TOB stock

-TOB bioware patch26498

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

-EasyTutu_ToB.exe (v.???current)

-EasyTutuNPCKits-v2.exe (exe from tutu dir; 1st thing right after degreenifier!)

-tutufix.v.17 (exe from tutu dir; must run setup-tutufix.exe right after install)

-hotfixpack

-EasyTutuSpawnRandomizer-v3.exe

-BG1NPC-v12Beta2.exe (exe from BG2SOA dir, option 2 on locations)

-Sword Coast Stratagems.v.3 (except for "skip candlekeep" cheat component; exe from tutu dir)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

-BG2_Fixpack-Beta3.exe

-TurnaboutV1.exe

-Weimer-Valen-v45.exe

----

-NPC_Tweak-v3.0.exe (anomen, nalia, cernd)

-KelseyTOBV22.exe

-Xan_v2.exe

(other NPC mods here)

-D0QuestPack.v23

-BanterPackv6.exe

-NPCFlirtV101.exe

-Weimer-Underrep-v5.exe

-Oversight-v9.exe

-PnPCelestials-v4.exe

-Improved_Horns-v1.2.exe

-D0Tweak_v18.exe

(EXcluding these components--

4: Reintroduce Dimension Door

5: Tweaked Weapon Enchantments

10: Kill Cespenar

16: Remove Quayle Portrait

17: Dream Flag

19: The_Bigg's Improved Backstabbing

21: CamDawg's Reduced Walking Speeds

22: Ghreyfain's BG1-Style Summoning Spells (covered in tutufix))

Sword Coast Stratagems is currently my favorite mod, but I'm not sure it's wise to install that for a first time player... Most veteran players are probably going to end up reloading a lot of battles due to the increased difficulty. Anyway, it'll be tough for a newbie.

Sword Coast Stratagems is currently my favorite mod, but I'm not sure it's wise to install that for a first time player... Most veteran players are probably going to end up reloading a lot of battles due to the increased difficulty. Anyway, it'll be tough for a newbie.

Well, a veteran player will be used to / expecting the battles in BG1 to be a certain way - which means that you'll be surprised a lot by SCS. As a new player with a clean slate, you don't have that kind of "pre-knowledge" standing in your way. Furthermore, you can be a newbie to the BG games and yet have considerable tactical aptitude from for instance p&p or other CRPGs.

That said, IMHO whether or not SCS is right for a first run through BG would depend on the player doing said run.

Point well taken.

Thing is that this particular 1st time player in question did specifically request a tough challenge, and he knows his PnP much better than me, so I think it should be just the ticket.

BG1NPC-v12Beta2.exe (exe from BG2SOA dir, option 2 on locations)

If you are all installed and ready to go, cool -- this was into your Tutu directory, right? PM me if you did want the latest version with bugfixes, as we may be delayed slightly on the BGT side but the Tutu side is bugfixed and tested!

Archived