BG1 Fixpack ?

Guest plainab

Hello everyone,

i am new on this forum, but i am already using many mods hosted here at Gibberlings Three website on my BG1 + ToTSC game install.

Unfortunately, one of these mods is bugged: BG1 Fixpack and its component ISSUES-BetterRatQuestCount.tph

What the component does according to the mod's readme: 

1)    Addresses a random issue where the rats for Reevor's quest aren't properly counted even tho all five have been killed. 
        Files modified are: 
rat2.cre, ar2606.bcs

For some unknown reason, it did the opposite - even when i killed all 5 rats Reevor still ordered me to deal with them. After i uninstalled BG1 Fixpack and loaded a savegame everything returned to its previous working state. During all those years of playing BG1 + ToTSC (i have original CD version) i never had any problems with that particular quest. I just wanted to point that out and ask if anyone else had the same problem?

My mod list in order of install at the time of using BG1 Fixpack:

1) Sell-scrolls

2) BG1 Fixpack

3) BG1varFix

4) Vault v_5

5) Baldur's Gate Mini Quest and Encounters v8.1

6) The Grey Clan Episode I In Candlelight

7) The Stone of Askavar v2.2

8) ThalantyrItemUpgrade_v3.7

9) Baldur's Gate Unfinished Business v13

10) widescreen-v3.07

11) TWMdemo_3.52R3_BG1

12) cdtweaks-v9

I just wanted to point that out and ask if anyone else had the same problem?

Yep, I had same issue. BG1 Fixpack and TWMdemo_3.52R3_BG1 both try to address this which only create problem which before didn't exist. I just changed globals with Sword Coast Keeper if I remember right...

10 hours ago, Greenhorn said:

Yep, I had same issue. BG1 Fixpack and TWMdemo_3.52R3_BG1 both try to address this which only create problem which before didn't exist. I just changed globals with Sword Coast Keeper if I remember right...

Thanks for a quick reply!

Is there possible to unlock the "broken rats quest" also through cheats command line? I did that in order to complete the Stone of Askavar 2.2 quest: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/60930-stone-of-askavar-compatibility/

I noticed, that BG1 Unfinished Business / TWM fixes few things that Baldurash Fixpack / BG1 Fixpack already fixed. Honestly it's hard to not get lost in all those BG1 fixes made across all those years, lol.

Edited by pjakub88
1 hour ago, pjakub88 said:

Is there possible to unlock the "broken rats quest" also through cheats command line?

Yes, Greenhorn just needs to tell which GLOBAL it is... aka, what it's name is, and you can then use the Console and SetGlobal("name","GLOBAL",5) where the "name" is the what G gives.

Ugh, yes, yes, of course, I will install old BG 1 right now just for this occasion. Although if I had to guess, that GLOBAL must have something with the... rats. Joke aside, just look for it  with SCK.

P.S. maybe RATSKILLED but I don't know if BG fixpack or TWM change that global ( I remember that TWM has component specifically dealing with this quest which doesn't play nice with fixpack). 

... 'k, the code consists of this:

//liczenie szczurów [5] dla Reevora wg. Death Variable/Script Name
COPY_EXISTING ~RAT2.CRE~ ~override~
  READ_ASCII 0x280 "ScriptName"
  PATCH_IF NOT ("%ScriptName%" STRING_EQUAL "ab_bgf_rats") THEN BEGIN //kompatybilnoϾ z BGFIXPACK 0,0015 beta 1 (ISSUES-BetterRatQuestCount.tph)
    WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~RatReev~         // Script Name
    INNER_ACTION BEGIN
<<<<<<<< .../TWM_Pack-inlined/Z!REEVOR_c.D
REPLACE_TRIGGER_TEXT ~REEVOR~
  ~GlobalLT("RatsKilled","GLOBAL",5)~
  ~!NumDeadGT("RatReev",4)~
REPLACE_TRIGGER_TEXT ~REEVOR~
  ~Global("RatsKilled","GLOBAL",5)~
  ~!Global("RatsKilled","GLOBAL",6) NumDead("RatReev",5)~
REPLACE_ACTION_TEXT ~REEVOR~
  ~IncrementGlobal("RatsKilled","GLOBAL",1)~
  ~SetGlobal("RatsKilled","GLOBAL",6)~
>>>>>>>>
      COMPILE ~.../TWM_Pack-inlined/Z!REEVOR_c.D~
    END
  END
  BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Which means that you just need to set global to the very last lines before the compile... aka:

SetGlobal("RatsKilled","GLOBAL",6) ... had to be hard.

44 minutes ago, Greenhorn said:

Ugh, yes, yes, of course, I will install old BG 1 right now just for this occasion. Although if I had to guess, that GLOBAL must have something with the... rats. Joke aside, just look for it  with SCK.

P.S. maybe RATSKILLED but I don't know if BG fixpack or TWM change that global ( I remember that TWM has component specifically dealing with this quest which doesn't play nice with fixpack). 

Looks like one of the TWM versions might have component that impact this quest. Quote from TWM readme:

"1/DONE+@68 eliminacja Die() z liczenia stworzeń w 10 questach BG1" (removal of Die() parameter from counting creatures in 10 BG1 quests)

Anyway, i got rid off BG1 Fixpack in favor of Baldurash Fixpack, BG1 Unfinished Business and TWM which together have the same content as BG1 Fixpack.

Thanks for both of you for your time!

Edited by pjakub88

You are welcome, of course, although BG1 fixpack add some very nice things not covered by other mods. But it introduces couple of problems if I recall correctly ( seniyad and number of his acolytes killed which won't let you finish Aldeth's quest unless you fix it manually ). Anyway happy gaming and thanks for awakening  my interest for BG again after I got sidetracked by HoMM2. :)

By the way I just finished that obnoxious dwarf's quest on clean, unmodded vanilla BG:TOS and globals are: RATSKILLED 5 when you kill them all, and RATSKILLED 6 after talking with Reevor and finishing the quest. 

44 minutes ago, Greenhorn said:

You are welcome, of course, although BG1 fixpack add some very nice things not covered by other mods. But it introduces couple of problems if I recall correctly ( seniyad and number of his acolytes killed which won't let you finish Aldeth's quest unless you fix it manually ). Anyway happy gaming and thanks for awakening  my interest for BG again after I got sidetracked by HoMM2. :)

By the way I just finished that obnoxious dwarf's quest on clean, unmodded vanilla BG:TOS and globals are: RATSKILLED 5 when you kill them all, and RATSKILLED 6 after talking with Reevor and finishing the quest. 

Could You name please those "very nice things not covered by other mods" - that BG1 Fixpack adds? In case, that i will change my mind in future and return to BG1 Fixpack.

It is sad however, that we cannot install the BG1 Fixpack components separately (like in the case of BG1 Unfinished Business) to avoid those problematic parts.

I am just testing now various mods compilations for BG1 + ToTSC. Meanwhile I also tried BG EE, but i have mixed feelings about it (maybe I'm too sentimental, lol).

Speaking of HoMM2: I played few times Heroes of Might and Magic III and this is one of my favourites games. 

Thanks for the info regarding the console commands. Might by usefull someday.

Edited by pjakub88
3 hours ago, pjakub88 said:

Could You name please those "very nice things not covered by other mods" - that BG1 Fixpack adds? In case, that i will change my mind in future and return to BG1 Fixpack.

It is sad however, that we cannot install the BG1 Fixpack components separately (like in the case of BG1 Unfinished Business) to avoid those problematic parts.

I am just testing now various mods compilations for BG1 + ToTSC. Meanwhile I also tried BG EE, but i have mixed feelings about it (maybe I'm too sentimental, lol).

Speaking of HoMM2: I played few times Heroes of Might and Magic III and this is one of my favourites games. 

Thanks for the info regarding the console commands. Might by usefull someday.

Details, details... tend to  be forgotten after four or five years, here is little something that I remember though: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/9019-bg1-fixpack/?do=findComment&comment=281878

Although HoMM2 is great ( one of the first games I ever played ) 3 is much. much better. As for BG1 fixpack i remember that I studied it to detail. It incorporates all the stuff from Baldurdash, and then some more . No significant conflicts with BG UB. As for TWM mod it is one of the finest mods for BG1 from the great polish community. Unfortunately at the time of  it's creation it didn't take into account BG1 fixpack ( author told me that he wasn't aware of it if I remember correctly, and he is great guy by the way :beer: ). Hopefully both mods are more compatible than before now, but few problems unfortunately are still there. 

Edited by Greenhorn