Old version needed

Senka

I wonder only one thing why do admins of this forum allow such lexicon at their forum boards.

Because when someone makes him/herself a goat or a hero with their statements, the statements remain for the world to see. I don't personally approve of how bigg is expressing himself, but it's going to remain there forever so that guests and members can read his statements and judge his behavior for themselves. G3 is neither a nanny state nor a censor.

Frankly, I'm hoping something constructive comes out of this, but between the bigg's rants, Bursk guest-posting to call everyone twats, and Vlad somehow deciding the bigg represents all of G3, my hopes are dim. Let's try to salvage something useful out of this.

Sorry, I didn't realise I wasn't logged in. I almost always post using Fast Reply.

And I do think people are acting like twats. Maybe that's a big insult where you come from, but I really just meant it as "fools". This all seems completely unnecessary and foolish to me.

And I do think people are acting like twats. Maybe that's a big insult where you come from, but I really just meant it as "fools". This all seems completely unnecessary and foolish to me.

Many are, sure, but adding a post to call everyone a twat really isn't being terribly constructive or helpful either, is it? ;)

Fair point. I'll try to only make constructive, helpful, non-twat related posts in future. I'll also try not to use the words "fuck" or "fucking" quite as often as bigg.

Oh, and I apologise if I've offended anyone. Twas not my intention.

I'll also try not to use the words "fuck" or "fucking" quite as often as bigg.

Setting the bar low, are we? Thank you, I'll be here all week, try the chicken.

To be serious, yes, your comment was not all that much better or worse from what's been posted so far. But we're at that critical point in the thread where we can still salvage something constructive out of this or it can devolve into further bickering and stupidity.

Aim low, achieve your goals.

I often see this type of fallout on various message boards, and I can never for the life of me work out why it happens. Like I said above, it all seems so unnecessary, and I can't help but think that it only happens because we're all on teh internets. Were we all talking in person, I doubt people would act like this.

I do hope something constructive can come from this thread, but I'm not sure what that could be.

At the risk of sounding like an utter nOOb, somebody could explain to me what, precisely, the Bigg's very short code somewhere up there actually *does*.

Even though I'm fairly clueless when it comes to WeiDU commands, I get this uncomfortable feeling when I look at it, akin to what I would feel with my finger hovering over the enter key with the message c:\ format c: displayed in the command window.

Don't know if it would be something constructive, but it would satisfy my curiosity.

I often see this type of fallout on various message boards, and I can never for the life of me work out why it happens. Like I said above, it all seems so unnecessary, and I can't help but think that it only happens because we're all on teh internets. Were we all talking in person, I doubt people would act like this.

One of the reasons why, waaaaay back, I started separate forums instead of getting hosted at one of the established sites was because, at the time, everyone was too busy being stupid and fighting with everyone else. G3 rapidly attracted a lot of members and modders because I was not the only one fed up with these antics.

At the risk of sounding like an utter nOOb, somebody could explain to me what, precisely, the Bigg's very short code somewhere up there actually *does*.

It creates and deletes a file called INCLUDE. Since INCLUDE became a registered keyword in WeiDU 190 ('my' first decent public version), it can't be considered as the file name "INCLUDE", meaning that a PARSE ERROR will rise on WeiDU 190+.

Pointing out coding errors isn't a bug.

The problem is that, in the current case, warnings can arise even when there isn't an error, which is actually a bug (of the "annoy user" kind, not of the "the mod doesn't work" kind). Of course, had Vlad informed Senka of the exact problem(s) with BiggDU rather than a generic (and false) "old stuff doesn't work with new stuff", this issue would have been solved with fairly less bloodshed.

(obviously, no point in crying over spilled milk)

I'd just like to see the notion that newer versions of WEIDU causing compatibility problems put to bed. Not only is it not true, but it's silly. Pointing out coding errors isn't a bug.

Some older mods do need to be upgraded, but to be honest I think it is Weimer's not the Bigg's changes. The particular mod that won't work with newer WeiDU's is IWD2 Ease of Use from Weimer. There is still no new WeiDu compatible version publically available for that, because Weimer used a different configuration of Copy Random for it. While it is not a problem at present, I foresee it coming up when IWD2NPC hits the shelves. And I am not sure how to go about producing and relesing an updated copy of Weimer's mod. If we want to talk about something constructive, perhaps, you might advise me on that related issue, guys?

A lot of those EoU tweaks are incorporated in IWD2 Tweaks, aren't they?

At least I'm using IWD2 Tweaks together with IWD2 NPC, and it seems to be going all right. Well, I still get frequent CTD, but not until I start uninstalling/reinstalling a bunch of times. If I install everything and then leave things alone, everything plays nice.

And I am not sure how to go about producing and relesing an updated copy of Weimer's mod. If we want to talk about something constructive, perhaps, you might advise me on that related issue, guys?

There are two possibilities IMHO:

1) I integrate IWD2EoU in a new version of 'my' IWD2Tweask as Cam did with BG2EoU vs. BG2Tweaks (after all, I already integrate the ones which had to bee recoded to use C_E_R G + patching, so I'll have just to ask Weimer official permission for the whole merger).

2) I update WeiDU to allow parsing of old COPY_RANDOM syntax as per IWD2EoU.

Unfortunately, without spending too much time looking it up (especially since I don't have any IE game or OCaml installed on this temp computer), I'd say that #1 is easier, since otherwise C_R could increase the shift/reduce conflict count, which could be a problem or not (there are already some s/r conflicts in the tp syntax due to VAR = NEWVALUE without the SET keyword, and I'd assume that they'd get worse with the different C_R syntaxes).

Archived