BG2 Tweaks v5 new components

CamDawg

Use BG Walking Speeds (BETA)

Finally. From Tutufix, this will make folks walk slower, as they did in the original Baldur's Gate. While it's most useful for Tutu and BGT players, you will be able to install it on a bogstandard BG2 game. Since I know there are a laundry list of issues to be fixed, it's being labeled a beta and we'll probably spend the next few releases trying to wrestle it down to acceptable.

Add Save Penalties for Spells Cast by High-Level Casters

By request, this component will adjust spells to have save penalties when cast by high-level casters. For every five levels over the minimum level required to learn a spell, a -1 to saves will be imposed.

For example, Hold Person is a second level cleric spell, and can be learned when a character hits level three. When the character hits level eight, the spell now has a -1 penalty to the victim's saving throw. At level 13 it's -2; at 18 it's -3, etc. all the way out to -9 at level 48. The penalties are extended out to level 50 in case players are playing an XP cap-free game or with one of the various level-50 rule sets.

The penalties will work against you for spells from enemies, but I expect this component will, in general, probably make the game a lot easier. You'll have the choice to add these penalties to divine spells, arcane spells, or both.

Trap Cap Removal (Ardanis/GeN1e)

Courtesy of Ardanis/GeN1e, this component will allow you to bypass the hardcoded limit of seven active traps.

Remove Delay for Magical Traps (Ardanis/GeN1e)

Also from Ardanis/GeN1e, this component will remove the triggering delay for skull trap, glyph of warding, and delayed-blast fireball. This should make them more effective during fights.

I'm doing some final testing, then I'll probably be posting a beta with which folks can play around.

Use BG Walking Speeds (BETA)

Finally. From Tutufix, this will make folks walk slower, as they did in the original Baldur's Gate. While it's most useful for Tutu and BGT players, you will be able to install it on a bogstandard BG2 game. Since I know there are a laundry list of issues to be fixed, it's being labeled a beta and we'll probably spend the next few releases trying to wrestle it down to acceptable.

Hahaha. I love you. (I'm really enjoying the pattern of "if I don't bother fixing something long enough, someone at G3 will do it for me". :))

Hahaha. I love you. (I'm really enjoying the pattern of "if I don't bother fixing something long enough, someone at G3 will do it for me". :))

* Waits for WeiDB/WeiGUI. *

Add Save Penalties for Spells Cast by High-Level Casters

By request, this component will adjust spells to have save penalties when cast by high-level casters. For every five levels over the minimum level required to learn a spell, a -1 to saves will be imposed.

Great to hear. :)

And this d1dn't make the beta, probably because the idea just occurred to me. This is probably the worst cheat, by an order of magnitude, in the pack:

Minimum Stats Cheat

This component will let you set a universal minimum stat for all classes and kits, including mod kits. Minimum stats are an issue in P&P, but in BG2 it just makes your stats move upward to always meet the minimum--essentially an unnatural boost to your dice rolls at character creation. This component will allow you to select a minimum stat value between 6 and 15. (Any higher or lower could cause issues with kit mods.)

That's really nice - I always wanted to set the minimums however I wanted. (Pity that it can't be 3, though, but, yeah, issues are bad).

(I'm really enjoying the pattern of "if I don't bother fixing something long enough, someone at G3 will do it for me". )

:)

(I'd replace "someone" with "someone, most probably Camdawg". :) )

And this d1dn't make the beta, probably because the idea just occurred to me. This is probably the worst cheat, by an order of magnitude, in the pack:

Minimum Stats Cheat

This component will let you set a universal minimum stat for all classes and kits, including mod kits. Minimum stats are an issue in P&P, but in BG2 it just makes your stats move upward to always meet the minimum--essentially an unnatural boost to your dice rolls at character creation. This component will allow you to select a minimum stat value between 6 and 15. (Any higher or lower could cause issues with kit mods.)

sorta like what igi did?

http://www.teambg.eu/forum/index.php?topic=813.0

E) No Class Requirements

This component removes the class stat requirements (e.g. Bards required 12 DEX, 13 INT and 15 CHA).

Not really. Bards require 12 DEX, 13 INT and 15 CHA, as igi says, in the base BG2 game. When you generate a bard character your rolls for dexterity, intelligence, and charisma are bumped to make sure you meet these requirements. With igi's mod, it means you can now roll any value (3-18) for these stats.

With the new tweak, let's say you select 10 as your minimum. It will adjust anything below 10 to 10--so bards now require 10 STR, 12 DEX, 10 CON, 13 INT, 10 WIS, and 15 CHA. The dice rolls all get bumped up to make sure you meet all of these minimums. So you've gone from a minimum total on igi's mod of 18 (6*3) to 70 (3*10 + 12 + 13 + 15).

Selecting 15 as the minimum would guarantee you a stat total of 90 for your characters, hence the 'this is a really bad cheat' note. It's not quite as bad as I initially thought, though. Selecting a really high minimum also makes it hard to min-max your stats. I've found the cheater's sweet spot to be right around 10 or 11 for the minimum.

One last component coded before sending off files to the translators:

Allow Cromwell to Upgrade Watcher's Keep Items

Non-Tutu, Requires Throne of Bhaal

It's never made sense to me that Cromwell can forge armor out of red dragon scales, ankheg shells, and shadow dragon armor--but doesn't even acknowledge the white dragon scales you can acquire in Watcher's Keep. This component will allow Cromwell to forge items found in Watcher's Keep using the same formulae as Cespenar. (Note that only the 15 formulae using items you can legally obtain in SoA are implemented; if you cheat in a component from Sendai's Enclave you'll still be out of luck.) This component will potentially allow the party to obtain very high-level items earlier than expected, so be warned that this may ruin the balance and make the remainder of SoA fairly easy.

One last component coded before sending off files to the translators:

Allow Cromwell to Upgrade Watcher's Keep Items

Non-Tutu, Requires Throne of Bhaal

It's never made sense to me that Cromwell can forge armor out of red dragon scales, ankheg shells, and shadow dragon armor--but doesn't even acknowledge the white dragon scales you can acquire in Watcher's Keep. This component will allow Cromwell to forge items found in Watcher's Keep using the same formulae as Cespenar. (Note that only the 15 formulae using items you can legally obtain in SoA are implemented; if you cheat in a component from Sendai's Enclave you'll still be out of luck.) This component will potentially allow the party to obtain very high-level items earlier than expected, so be warned that this may ruin the balance and make the remainder of SoA fairly easy.

Oooh, do you have a list of these 15 items?

Aslyerferund Elven Chain +5, Blessed Bracers, Case of Plenty +2, Club of Detonation +5, Dagger of the Star +5, Erinne Sling +5, Flail of Ages +4 (poison head), Clay Golem Manual, Helm of the Rock, Improved Cloak of Protection +2, Ixil's Spike +6, Quiver of Plenty +2, Thieves Hood, White Dragon Scale, and Wondrous Gloves.

Archived