Female Gamers

Domi

I usually play female characters and I'm bothered by how their clotches and armour is represented in games. Especially, I don't like Biowhore's obsession with adding cleavage to full plate armour and mail that is represented by a mini-skirt.

Also, I hate gender-neutral environments, where both genders are equal both in social standing and physical abilities.

Yes, but would you consider Janeway, Trinity, Eowyn, or Hermoine as a 'vixen'? I know I wouldn't.

Trinity not a vixen? Okay I get Janeway (more of a mature attraction there), Eowyn, (the stoic "I shall endure" attraction - why does that remind me of Sarah Plain and Tall?), Hermoine ( right. under 18. come back in a few years if you want to be considered for vixen status). But not Trinity???

I mean even if one doesn't find her attractive, still, she meets the requirements.

Vinyl outfit shrinkwrapped on, slow-mo kicking of just about everything, cool in air suppension of pre 'kick you in the face' move, obligatory sex scene somewhere in the story arc, and general all around attitude of *I'm hot and can kick your ass*.

That is totally vixen material. :)

Well just having a bit of fun. I think I had to let off some inner anxiety after following that link and finding out the PowerPuff Girls had made the top 20. The PowerPuff Girls! That just makes me feel ...old. Its like listening to the radio and hearing for the first time a song you grew up with on the oldies station.

Speaking of what females wear when they fight or adventure. Looking at a lot of fantasy art, smut the women are usually clad in tiny bikini type thingys. I'm sure that helps a whole hell a lot against a dragon. Even better when you travel to the frigid north. :)

Yes, but would you consider Janeway, Trinity, Eowyn, or Hermoine as a 'vixen'? I know I wouldn't.

Well, would you call Leia or Lora Craft a vixen? Judging from the narrative the term was used to describe the "progressive, not damselle in distress kick-ass female character." And, yeah, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was included (I think the only modern show), so it was not 18 and over. Unless Buffy is 18+?

Speaking of what females wear when they fight or adventure. Looking at a lot of fantasy art, smut the women are usually clad in tiny bikini type thingys. I'm sure that helps a whole hell a lot against a dragon. Even better when you travel to the frigid north.

Ha! Recently, I've been outfitting my characters for IWD NPC. I had great fun with my female fighter/healing type: originally, she wore what I can call "a skimpy swimming suit". When I stuck a chainmail on her, she seemed to

1) take off her swimming suit;

2) put on the chainmail;

3) wear her swimming suit on top of her chainmail.

... must be soooo comfortable.

I'll give you Trinity for the vixen status.

Then again, I probably wouldn't define a vixen as

"progressive, not damselle in distress kick-ass female character."

I'd go more with Caelellowynn's definition.

@Kulyok: Agreed, the ommision of Delenn and Ivanova is a serious offence.

Re Buffy: She starts out less than 18, and ends up older than 18 (15/16+7 years)

@Sorrow: Samantha Carter from SG1?

The complaints about bikini-clad boobular armor blah blah blah are all well and good, but it turns out that when dealing with things ~60x25 pixels in size, sometimes those easy visual clues come in handy.

In commissioning sprites for TBH, I made a deliberate point of asking our artists to deliver more realistic female forms, full-coverage armor, etc.

My reward thus far has been a fair degree of complaints that the genders aren't distinct enough on-screen. (Even from Wes!) Chalk it up as another "we'll see if people put their money where their mouth is" test.

Trinity seemed to be very androgynous and not very sexual to me.

Remarkably similar to what my wife said about Trinity earlier, although "boring and not very interesting" were the words I believe she used. Still I thought she ought to get consideration due to shrinkwrapping at the very least. ;)

She looks like a soccer mom.

Although there is a guest spot she does on Stargate Atlantis where she definitely isn't soccer mom material. Granted its Rodney Mckay's hallucination.

The complaints about bikini-clad boobular armor blah blah blah are all well and good, but it turns out that when dealing with things ~60x25 pixels in size, sometimes those easy visual clues come in handy.

In commissioning sprites for TBH, I made a deliberate point of asking our artists to deliver more realistic female forms, full-coverage armor, etc.

My reward thus far has been a fair degree of complaints that the genders aren't distinct enough on-screen. (Even from Wes!) Chalk it up as another "we'll see if people put their money where their mouth is" test.

:) Probably not funny but if that doesn't sound like a "can't win for losing" scenario.

Trinity seemed to be very androgynous and not very sexual to me.

Remarkably similar to what my wife said about Trinity earlier, although "boring and not very interesting" were the words I believe she used. Still I thought she ought to get consideration due to shrinkwrapping at the very least. :)

Shrinkwrapping makes her even less sexy.

And, yeah, Buffy the Vampire Slayer was included (I think the only modern show), so it was not 18 and over. Unless Buffy is 18+?

The show started when Buffy was 16 and ended when she was 22.

In games, I like hot women in beautiful robes and dresses with awesome hair. Chainmail bikinis get old after a while (although I often quite enjoy the view), but too realistic outfits are boring, too.

Also, I hate gender-neutral environments, where both genders are equal both in social standing and physical abilities.

I think it might be interesting to play a female character in a society where women are considered weak and inferior to men and where she has to face quite a lot of problems, for example in a historical setting.

Chainmail bikinis get old after a while (although I often quite enjoy the view), but too realistic outfits are boring, too.

Kastenbrust, Gothic and Maximilian plate armours too?

There are plenty of real armour types that are both bad-ass and functional.

Chainmail bikinis get old after a while (although I often quite enjoy the view), but too realistic outfits are boring, too.

Kastenbrust, Gothic and Maximilian plate armours too?

There are plenty of real armour types that are both bad-ass and functional.

For men - not so boring. For women - boring.

Archived