Feedback

Mike1072

Demivrgvs, apologies in the delay of my reply to your post #64.
And I'm sorry I miss your post somehow.

Scimitars

Did vanilla game scimitars have a strength requirement of 8? I thought it was 10. If you have changed it to 8, I can't find any mention of this in the readme. Same goes for the new composite long bow requirements. Am I just blind and can't see them?!
Now that you mention it, I probably reduced the requirement to 8 because they have the same speed, weight and damage output of long swords.

Corthala Family Armor

It has "Immunity to charm" not "Immunity to Charm".
I forgot "effects", but it should say "Immunity to charm effects", which includes Dire Charm, and Domination effects. "Immunity to Charm" would immunity to Charm spell only imo.

The Boots of Stealth

It has "...to web" but I think maybe it should be "...to Web".
Same as above.

Composite Long Bow

The blurb for the composite long bow mentions the strength requirement of 16, but should strength requirements really be included here? This information is duplicated shortly afterwards in the statistics section, and I rather it remained there (this goes for all items).
Done. :)

Corthala Family Blade

I don't want to see the spell failure work against divine spellcasters, no, but I'd like it made clear in the description that it's arcane-only.
Will do.

Ras

Going back to Ras for the moment, I think I'd prefer just maybe one or two times summoning a day, but for a reasonable amount of time (what that would be I dunno - what do the other summoning objects provide?).
I'd say 1 or 2 times per day, 1-5 turns, something within those numbers.

Namarra

Yes, "Wall of Silence: opponents within 15 feet must save vs. spell each round or be silenced" is much better!
Done. Regarding the save penalty, I'll wait for some feedback.

Adjatha The Drinker

I didn't think it was obvious that the wielder gains 2hp for each spell lost, which is why I mentioned it here. As an alternative to what I wrote earlier, you could also consider "arcane casters hit by The Drinker must save vs. spell or lose one memorized spell. The wielder's maximum hit points increase by 2 for 1 hour per spell lost." as an alternative, although I think I prefer my first suggestion. Maybe the ever-helpful lac could suggest something.
Iac has become our proof reader. :) We'll see.

Yoshimo's Katana

I like your suggestion abaut non-lethal toxin (well, I proposed it myself :p ) and it would probably bebetter than the current effect, anyway we may even completely change the concept if anyone as a better idea.

Staff of Magi

I did it to differentiate this staf from the Staff of Power, the only thing "I don't like" is that it make the staff seems a "good aligned" weapon, but I'll think about it.

I don't have a game handy that doesn't have p&p tweaks for protection items live. When I am done with one

of these builds, I will remove it, and build a new version that doesn't have this restriction, check my ring of

protection +2 and report on what I find.

Laura

Oh, and sorry to spam, but any comments on Post #75?

How have you set things up so you can see posts as numbered? I have no clue what is post #75 and no idea

how to find out, aside from counting manually.

Still completely clueless about many things around here ....

Laura

Adjatha The Drinker
I didn't think it was obvious that the wielder gains 2hp for each spell lost, which is why I mentioned it here. As an alternative to what I wrote earlier, you could also consider "arcane casters hit by The Drinker must save vs. spell or lose one memorized spell. The wielder's maximum hit points increase by 2 for 1 hour per spell lost." as an alternative, although I think I prefer my first suggestion. Maybe the ever-helpful lac could suggest something.
Iac has become our proof reader. :) We'll see.

Here's a Very Important Proofreading Note. :)

I am not 'IAC'

I am 'LAC' (in lowercase)

laura alma creighton

(grin)

Guest Tired Dirty Uncle Bertie

Strength Requirements

Do you have a list of the strength requirement changes? Is it just scimitars and composite long bows that have been changed out of the vanilla weapons?

Corthala Family Armor

Ah, I thought it was just the spell Charm, which is why I thought it should be capitalized. Are you planning to change its appearance to reflect the mithril chain?

Composite Long Bow

Cool. This keeps things consistent with other items.

Ras

Sounds like a good basis to start from. Maybe some of the more experienced players can suggest something.

Namarra

Hmm, I used Ctrl-Q to get Ilyich's mage into the party, and found that his save vs. spell is 12. Odd that he saved as often as he did when I tested earlier. Still, I think a penalty would be good, since this dude is only level 5, and other mages will surely be much tougher.

Staff of the Magi

I don't follow how having it grant +1 or +2 to AC and saving throws makes it a good aligned weapon. Then again, I stayed up last night to watch the Calzaghe vs. Jones fight, and have had about 3.5 hours sleep today. Everything has become much more difficult.

Short Sword of Backstabbing

:) Sorry to bring this up again, but due to some recent posts I've read, I've begun to think about items less in terms of raw THAC0 and more about their bonuses. I was quite happy before with the SSoB offering +3 THAC0 to everyone and a bonus x1 backstab multiplier for thieves, but now I'm not so sure this is enough.

The +3 THAC0 for everyone is fine, but I asked myself "Which thief is likely to use this item, and therefore get the extra benefits?". Well, Immy could, but I guess a lot of people make her a Swashbuckler (I know I do), so she wouldn't get the added thief benefits (dunno about in the stock game, but with Rogue Rebalancing she wouldn't). Jan? Well, is he likely to be backstabbing with his low hit points? I dunno, but I can't imagine him using this weapon to backstab to any great degree.

Nalia? Well, no because of her low thief level. Ah, but what about Yoshimo? Well, thing is, now that Yoshi's starting katana is improved (even more so by recent suggestions!), I'd frankly rather he use that than the SSoB. The SSoB has a higher minimum damage on a successful backstab, but also a lower maximum. Overall, I think the katana is marginally better, especially when not being used to backstab. Also, the next katana you're likely to get, Malakar, is better again, so Yoshi wouldn't use the SSoB here either.

I suppose the SSoB would be good against enemies needing +3 weapons to hit, but I wouldn't have thought they're likely to appear for some time. So out of the four stock game thieves, I can't really see a compelling reason for any of them to choose this weapon over whatever else is available at that time. However, if it were +3 THAC0 for everyone, plus +1 THAC0 and the bonus backstab multiplier for thieves, then I think it'd be worth using. +2 THAC0 for thieves was simply too much I think, but if it's +1 I'll probably find myself using it.

I hope I've managed to explain myself clearly here. I never realised before what a difficult balancing act it can be when you pit one weapon against another. Although I'm very tired right now, this seems to me like the best way of making the SSoB powerful but balanced.

lac (not an item)

The post number is on the far right of the screen for me. I would've thought it appears there by default. Sorry I can't be more help.

Aha, the post number is on the top right of the screen as you read the post! I hadn't

looked there!

But nowhere on the list of posts in the topic, correct? So if I want to know if something

you mentioned in post #74 has been addressed, then I have to just pick someplace

and extrapolate to get to #74? There is no way to say 'give me post 74 in this topic'

and find out what it is that you are interested in??

Still learning,

Laura

re staff of thunder and lightning

Given that the way you get this is to defeat faldorn (which if you do as a druid, and

not as I did, as a fighter, using the 'multiple strongholds' mod) I think that the stick

you get should still be +3 so worthwhile for whacking golems.

By the time you can do this, you could buy the staff of Rhynn from the store, or

the staff of Arundel from the bonus merchant (at least until you get around to

modifying bonus merchants.)

This staff is such an amazing combat weapon that I don't think that anybody who

is entitled to wield it would wield a different staff instead. Unless you want the

extra spells of Arundel. So making a druid character (the only one who could

acquire this item 'legitimately' -- i.e. not cheating it in or playing multiple strongholds)

carry this staff around for every day use, and a different one for whacking golems

with strikes me as a case of 'jerking the player around for no particular good reason'.)

Now, as it stands the druid could give this staff to his clerical buddy. I would fix this

by making this a druid only weapon. Indeed, if it were possible, I would fix this to

make it a weapon reserved for the winner of this particular challenge -- attuned

to him or her and no other. But I do not know how possible this is.

Just my thoughts, feel free to read and disgard,

Laura

But nowhere on the list of posts in the topic, correct? So if I want to know if something

you mentioned in post #74 has been addressed, then I have to just pick someplace

and extrapolate to get to #74? There is no way to say 'give me post 74 in this topic'

and find out what it is that you are interested in??

There actually is, it's the last part of the current address you see in your browser... For example the default address for page 7 on this thread is
http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=15593&st=90

, and you can see that it starts from the post number #91, so the post 74 is in

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=15593&st=73

, as 74-1=73...

Flail of Ages

That's my only one little suggestion. These % chance for some effects should be customed to amount of heads in flail. I don't understand why when it has 3 of them (completed flail in SoA) it has 20% for each effect. Don't you think that striking enemy means striking with one of these three heads? :)

Effects for single/dual heads can be abandoned - it doesn't have full force. Still 3/4 heads? For three heads it should have 33% chance for each effect, 4 heads 25% and finally 5 heads 20%.

And keep it going! Really great and refreshing mod which gonna have his polish translation fast. Could I have some info's right before publishing V2, to correct tra file? :-)

Flail of Ages

That's my only one little suggestion. These % chance for some effects should be customed to amount of heads in flail. I don't understand why when it has 3 of them (completed flail in SoA) it has 20% for each effect. Don't you think that striking enemy means striking with one of these three heads? :)

Effects for single/dual heads can be abandoned - it doesn't have full force. Still 3/4 heads? For three heads it should have 33% chance for each effect, 4 heads 25% and finally 5 heads 20%.

There's a special discussion on the topic here, with post #6 explaining the reasoning behind this.

And keep it going! Really great and refreshing mod which gonna have his polish translation fast. Could I have some info's right before publishing V2, to correct tra file? :-)

That's great news! I didn't think anyone would be brave enough to try translating this monster. Demi's in charge of item_descriptions.tra - he'll have the most up to date version. You and I might need to discuss the regexp matching for the optional components' description edits in lib/description_updates.tpa (depending on your familiarity with regexps and the similarity between the statistic block formatting in the two languages).

@ SSoB -> Yoshimo:

In KY you have a chance of a weapon, which I have tried to keep in the theme of IR, but not too far from vanilla, which makes Yoshimo far more attractive as a BH->F. His starting Katana will also have a negative backstab multiplier, I think.

Icen

Here's a Very Important Proofreading Note. :p

I am not 'IAC'

I am 'LAC' (in lowercase)

laura alma creighton

(grin)

:) It won't happen again, sorry. :D

Strength Requirements

Do you have a list of the strength requirement changes? Is it just scimitars and composite long bows that have been changed out of the vanilla weapons?
Globally nothing else, but there are few exceptions like the Warblade which is a particularly heavy greatsword and requires STR 18.

Corthala Family Armor

Ah, I thought it was just the spell Charm, which is why I thought it should be capitalized. Are you planning to change its appearance to reflect the mithril chain?
I'm not sure...as I think most players are too accustomed to Valygar's with his brown leather-like look, but it may instead be cool. :)

Staff of the Magi

I don't follow how having it grant +1 or +2 to AC and saving throws makes it a good aligned weapon. Then again, I stayed up last night to watch the Calzaghe vs. Jones fight, and have had about 3.5 hours sleep today. Everything has become much more difficult.
I was saying it's current Pro.vs.Evil makes it appear as a good aligned weapon. :p

The problem with this blade is that it's quite "easy" to acquire in BG2 and it's also present in BG1. I suppose a short sword +3 is already incredibly powerful in BG1, and in IR V2 early available 1handed weapons won't have a total enhancement bonus higher than +3 except rare cases. This is one of those rare cases, and I think a +1 to backstab should already make it quite appealing (an average +7 to damage, more for Assassin or thieves with Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise).

Polish Translation

Thanks! Sure, I can give you the item_description.tra file whenever you want, my internal one already contains many fixes, but it's susceptible to further changes as I've not finished to update/fix/change some items for V2.

Flail of Ages

Follow the like posted by Mike two posts above mine. FoA, and a good amount of items will be slightly "nerfed" in V2, and to discuss it I may suggest to take a look at "Plans for future releases" topic.

Yoshimo's Katana

@ SSoB -> Yoshimo:

In KY you have a chance of a weapon, which I have tried to keep in the theme of IR, but not too far from vanilla, which makes Yoshimo far more attractive as a BH->F. His starting Katana will also have a negative backstab multiplier, I think.

Do you want to share with us what you did to Yoshimo's katana? Regarding the backstab multiplier, all katanas will have it in IR (I accepted to keep it optional, but I do hope players will install that component).
Guest D. U. Bertie

But you don't get it until the end of the game in BG1. Anyway, when you say "+1 to backstab" I take it you mean "x1 backstab multiplier"? And who is going to give the Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise to their thief?

I still don't think it's any better than Yoshi's katana, and therefore can't really see anyone in the party wanting to use it. And I do think items you find should be better than those the NPCs start with. However...

Yoshimo's Katana

If IR or KY are going to nerf the backstabbing ability of Yoshi's (and all, in IR case) katanas, maybe then this is what's needed to make the SSoB a better choice for Yoshi, should you want to use him to backstab (if not, I guess he could stick with his starting katana).

And will the KY katana be optional? Maybe some of us would prefer to use IR weapons.

Archived