Feedback

Mike1072

No other creature in the entire game is immune to +4 weapons.
Than a mage with PfMW...

Christmas is a very busy time for me -- I spend it cooking and entertaining relatives
Must be really good entertainment or the cooking part might get a few objections from the relatives, being cooked. :) How do you do it? ;)

Ah, I take the same approach as the Troll in Fierkraag's Lair. --- here is the grill, step right on it, hurry up and thank you very much. :D

rod of smiting:

mine says usable by mages and clerics. I think that druids should be able to use it as well. I am actually unsure why it should not be usable by everybody -- perhaps with a minimum intelligence or wisdom check. Is it possible to restrict a weapon to only those characters who are masters (or better) in a certain weapon type? I cannot see, myself, why a fighter that happened to train in quarterstaff shouldn't be able to use this weapon.

What about monks?

About the sword of chaos:

The vanilla version was not overly powerful, but the life-drain was sure a little nice thing. The abilities it has just now (in my opinion) will get it replaced by any other two-handed sword you'll find next and sold straight away.

1. Immunity to fear is not a good reason to equip this, just a little goody on top as is

2. extra damage against lawful. I'm sorry, i'm not aware of the exact alignment composition of all the enemies, but i suppose you won't battle 'lawful'-ones very often. Unlike 'chaotic' and 'evil' which should appear way more often.

So, as i see it, it has two very fringe abilities which could be nice in addition to some other desirable effects, but don't justify to use it as it is. This is Sarevoks sword after all...

Conceptually i think its abilities are fine, it's just my disrespect to 'avenge specific foe' weapons, so i'd plead to change it.

Maybe some random elemental damage of 1 to 1d4.

Or even something more 'chaotic' in remembrance of the 'axe of the jester' (?) of Planescape Torment.

As i followed the discussion i'm aware that its old life drain like my new proposal aren't on line with your suggestions about balance, as it would interrupt spellcasters. So i'd suggest a percentual for a random elemental burst, which would interrupt them only 1/4 of the time or so.

Edwins family heirloom amulet:

It gives him two (!) extra spells from spell levels 1 to 9 (!).

Can anyone tell me if it's being changed in IR or if this is original?

I never played with him actually and it seems i lost on much fun, but really, for me this amulet is way too powerful.

Already one extra spell would be too good, but two?

Does he have you all bribed and threatened in his pocket?

Did i install the super-edwin component accidentally?

(Thanks Jarno, sry - no native speaker :( )

Regarding Dak'kon's Zerth Blade:

Demivrgvs was thinking about adjusting its abilities to the wielders level but was reluctant to use a script to do it. I really liked Dak'kon and the story of his blade, so why not mimic it.

Would it work using a simple 'talk to' option to be able to upgrade the sword at each 5 levels or so? After some flavor talk, the updated sword would spawn in the inventory for the old one.

So what about upgrading it with a lvl 20 char and then giving it to a lvl 1? HAHA!

The sword in itself is a paradoxon as it would had vanished with Dak'kon's Death.

The description tells that it has retained its shape after this (why ever...),

but if it shall be upgradeable, it has to be formed by a new mind. This could mean, the first who bonds with the sword would be the only one being able to.

Oh my! This would maybe even be a mod in the mod...

Other idea: Dak'hon's Zerth Blade has somehow acquired sentience, and thus can maintain its own shape. I don't know anything about the creation of sentient swords, except for Moonblades, so I don't know if this would violate canon.

Would it work using a simple 'talk to' option to be able to upgrade the sword at each 5 levels or so? After some flavor talk, the updated sword would spawn in the inventory for the old one.
Well, the suggestion has merit as long as it's made so that only the player can initiate the conversation... as it reduces the caused lag a lot when the script is misfiring. :(

(Thanks Jarno, sry - no native speaker :( )
Thank the Mozilla Firefox English word-check add-on. :(

Little Yarpen's Remixes Corner ;]

Knave's Robe: IMO weak, when comparisoned to Traveler's Robe. It should be must-have for mage-thieves, so +5% to all thieving skills should be fun.

Amulet of Metaspell Influence: is there in BG2 an effect which changes duration or power of spells? Hey, as far as I remember these were used in WildSurge effects. So I think it can be more useful and unique.

Ring of Invisibility: I'd love to see an item of this sort with equipped invisibility effect and somewhere in late SoA...

It looks like the decreased movement rate while wearing heavy armor only affects my party, while I was expecting to see heavy armored humanoid opponents slowed a bit too. Is it intended/not implementable other way?

About lesser mage robes, the elemental ones (fire/cold/lighting resistance) are very weak compared to the knave/traveller/adventurer that grant useful boni AND one more point of ac. What about raise from 25% to 50% the resistance to make it more noticeable?

About lesser mage robes, the elemental ones (fire/cold/lighting resistance) are very weak compared to the knave/traveller/adventurer that grant useful boni AND one more point of ac. What about raise from 25% to 50% the resistance to make it more noticeable?
Or to make it really appealing, I would make it to have two resistances, 1 stackable, and 1 not stackable. The none stackable(flat value) would be about 80 to 90 percent, and the stackable would be only about 15 to 20 percent, this would make the original intent of the robe clear, that you can't kill a mage in a Mage Robe of Fire Resistance with fireballs, and fortunately the opcode allows this.
It looks like the decreased movement rate while wearing heavy armor only affects my party, while I was expecting to see heavy armored humanoid opponents slowed a bit too. Is it intended/not implementable other way?

Mike answered me on this saying that enemies should suffer from exactly the same limitations and I am really hoping that this is still the case. I am not using the movement limitations but I am using the Dex penalty for heavy armour (which I am hoping affects enemies too!).

About the elemental robes, you are right.

Jarno's suggestion about a non stackable, high elemental resistance (80%?) sounds good to me.

Knave's Robe

IMO weak, when comparisoned to Traveler's Robe. It should be must-have for mage-thieves, so +5% to all thieving skills should be fun.
It boost the worst mage's save and it's actually my favourite "common" robe, but 5% to thieving skill shouldn't change much its power level. The only thing I'm not sure of is assigning to it something only a mage/thief can benefit from.

Amulet of Metaspell Influence

...is there in BG2 an effect which changes duration or power of spells? Hey, as far as I remember these were used in WildSurge effects. So I think it can be more useful and unique.
My first intention was to make it grant increased "caster level", and though this too can happen with a wild surge I can't reproduce it. Most of wild surges are hardcoded and I don't know if and how we can handle them, most probably we can't.

Ring of Invisibility

I'd love to see an item of this sort with equipped invisibility effect and somewhere in late SoA...
Again, this was my first intention with the Ring of the Phantom, but I had to discard it for two classic reasons: exploitness and power level. A ring which grants invisibility while equipped can be used to grant again invisibility at will just re-equipping it. This could be slightly countered by assigning this ability to a cursed item, but even in that case I fear the ability would be too powerful. I may be able to do it in a smoother and more balanced way by using "cast spell on condition - while equipped" opcode, but you should now that unfortunately I had to abandon the use of that opcode. Without it the effect wouldn't be applied via spell, which means it wouldn't be "dispellable" by normal means like Detect Illusion, and True Seeing. The only other way I know which may allow to do it is using scripts...but until we reach a fully established build I'm not going to look into more trouble by using scripts on items.

Armor's Encumberance

If those characters are really using armors than they are affected, if instead they only display an "armored man" animation without effectively wearing the armor than they are not slowed.

Does those enemies dropped armors when killed? If not, we may check if some undroppable armors are used and not affected by the component. Else I can't do much about it.

Lesser Mage Robes

Or to make it really appealing, I would make it to have two resistances, 1 stackable, and 1 not stackable. The none stackable(flat value) would be about 80 to 90 percent, and the stackable would be only about 15 to 20 percent, this would make the original intent of the robe clear, that you can't kill a mage in a Mage Robe of Fire Resistance with fireballs, and fortunately the opcode allows this.
Surely I wouldn't go as far as allowing an easily available and quite comon item complete invulnerability to an energy type. I may think about Raj's suggested value, either 40% or 50%, but that would make these robes far from being lesser, they would share the same "power level" of the knave, traveler, and adventurer robes. Would it be a good thing? Does anyone know how common these robes are? If these robes are much more common than the other ones than I would be much more inclined to accept this improvement.

In previous runs I played with dex penalities only, this is the first time I play with movement + dex penalities so there's not much testing just some observations: the sewer party, the mencar&co party, the fallen paladins, all these guys look like wearing heavy armor and drop plates and full plates but they sure go faster than my heavy armored protagonist ( well, when he's not under free action :( guess I'll just reinstall with dex penalities only as it's not making any difference by now, just boring when travelling across areas ).

Rarity of lesser mage robes: across NPCs, only Aerie and Edwin come with one of them ( fire resistance robe for the chick, adventurer for Edwin ); you can find a knave's one on Xzar body.

Traveller's ones are sold by Arledian, knave by Ribald, gromnir mages wear adventurers robes. Shadow thieves mages wear elemental resistance ones.

Lazarus sells every sort of robe.

Can't remember much about BG1 mages.

That's all afaik, overall it's easier to find a robe of evil archmage than a cold resistance one :(

Archived