IR V3 - List of changes from V2 to V3

Demivrgvs

Amulet of Seldarine

I've replaced '+1 to saves' with 'Protection from Evil'. I'd like to improve it a little more but I currently don't know how...

What about +25 to lore? or

Absolutely useless! Glasses of Identification serve much better.

I'm well aware of the usefullness, but RP is also an issue here.

Can you do something about the evident misalignment of the helmets in some paperdolls?

This makes a bad result on my Half-Elf F/M/C.

I don't know if other races/classes might have the same issues.

Can you give some examples? Because I remember something like this, but if I'm not wrong it was caused by some 1PP bams I purposedly not used within IR, and it may be caused by 1PP if you have installed it over IR.

I have installed some 1PP components after IR.

Still this issue appears even if I followed the indications about what components of 1PP could be safely installed after IR, mantaining full compatibility.

I've just tried 10 different helmets on a half-elf fighter, and they were all fine. As I thought I'm pretty sure the issue is caused by 1PP's helmet animations that weren't included within IR (perhaps for this very reason). I'll see if I can track down the issue and if the readme needs some correction.

But does an half-elf fighter use the same paperdoll of a multiclass F/M/C?

Anyway, thanks for looking into this matter! :)

Greenstone Amulet

While pondering if I should make it work as per 3rd edition (permanent Mind Shield while equipped) I've heavily refined the Mind Shield ability which I previously only slightly "fixed". The most noticeable changes compared to vanilla's Mind Shield are:

- removed immunity to 'hold creature' opcode (it protected from effects such as Web or a ghoul's paralyzing touch)

- removed immunity to 'sleep' opcode (it protected from effects such as dragon's wing buffet. Instead I've made it use Protection from Spell opcodes - Command, Sleep, PW:Sleep and so on).

- removed immunity to 'stun' opcode (but it still protects from Mind Blast's stunning effect)

- added few Protection from Spell opcodes for SR/IR mind-affecting spells or spell-like abilities (e.g. IR v3's Domineering weapons, or SR's Emotion: Despair spell).

Also note that the amulet won't protect from 'fear/break morale' effects caused by massive damage (other items such as Kiel's Helmet does), but "only" from spells such as Spook or Horror, and spell-like abilities such as demon/dragon's fear.

Is Doom (1st lvl divine spell) considered a mind-affecting spell? (not that I've seen many opponents use it)

1PP's helmet animations

I've just tried 10 different helmets on a half-elf fighter, and they were all fine. As I thought I'm pretty sure the issue is caused by 1PP's helmet animations that weren't included within IR (perhaps for this very reason). I'll see if I can track down the issue and if the readme needs some correction.
But does an half-elf fighter use the same paperdoll of a multiclass F/M/C?
I think they both use fighter's one. But I'll check it again asap.
Is Doom (1st lvl divine spell) considered a mind-affecting spell? (not that I've seen many opponents use it)
I'd say yes as it is making you feel horrible dread and shaken. So yes differently.
Ouh, but it's an Alteration spell, so that would say no. And the spell description says nothing about "making you feel horrible dread and shaken", the spell probably is meant to turn your luck bad.

doom.jpg

I'd say yes as it is making you feel horrible dread and shaken. So yes differently.
Ouh, but it's an Alteration spell, so that would say no. And the spell description says nothing about "making you feel horrible dread and shaken", the spell probably is meant to turn your luck bad.

doom.jpg

I know - and I think Demi does too - but I was merely talking about the way we implement/understand Doom in our PnP games. I still believe it (in PnP) is more mindaffecting than the BG version. I should have said I was talking 'bout PnP.

Cheers

Well, but Doom belongs to the Charm Sphere in AD&D (as in both Divine Remix and Spell Revisions). Anyway, I can live with or without this.

1PP Helmets

Salk, I don't know what to say, I've tried each helmet animation (from H0 to H5) on both males and females, using both elf and dwarf animations for fighters and clerics...I cannot reproduce the issue. I do remember it when I first tried 1PP ages ago, but I don't see it within IR.

1PP Helmets

Salk, I don't know what to say, I've tried each helmet animation (from H0 to H5) on both males and females, using both elf and dwarf animations for fighters and clerics...I cannot reproduce the issue. I do remember it when I first tried 1PP ages ago, but I don't see it within IR.

You've done more than enough and sorry for having wasted your time.

About Doom, I agree with Shaitan. It should be mind-affecting as it "causes a feeling of doom to overwhelm the target".

This points to a specific state of mind that is not conforted by any objective changes.

Amulet of Seldarine

I've replaced '+1 to saves' with 'Protection from Evil'. I'd like to improve it a little more but I currently don't know how...

What about +25 to lore? or

Absolutely useless! Glasses of Identification serve much better.

I'm well aware of the usefullness, but RP is also an issue here.

Yeah, lets concentrate our efforts on things that 99 out of 100 players will find completely useless. :)

Girdles of Giant Strength
Item Index thread mentioned minor cold/fire resistance as a possible addition.
Yep, but:

- Hill Giant Girdle would have nothing

- Stone Giant Girdle would have nothing (and I'd avoid physical resistance)

- Frost Giant Girdle is used to forge Crom Fayer, which has and shouldn't have cold-based effects

If I had to change them I'd do something a little more "drastical". For example:

- Hill Giant Girdle --> Belt of Priestly Might, +2 STR +1 AC (I'd already have its new lore)

- Stone Giant Girdle --> Belt of Giant Strength, +3 STR (unchanged)

- Frost Giant Girdle --> "name_here", +3 STR (or slightly changed with something that could be tied to Crom Faeyr)

- Fire Giant Girdle --> "Belt of the Champion", +4 STR (or slightly changed with something barbarian/berserker related if possible)

I like your take on the belts! Do it, do it now - without asking anyones opinion! :D:)

Girdles of Giant Strength
Item Index thread mentioned minor cold/fire resistance as a possible addition.
Yep, but:

- Hill Giant Girdle would have nothing

- Stone Giant Girdle would have nothing (and I'd avoid physical resistance)

- Frost Giant Girdle is used to forge Crom Fayer, which has and shouldn't have cold-based effects

If I had to change them I'd do something a little more "drastical". For example:

- Hill Giant Girdle --> Belt of Priestly Might, +2 STR +1 AC (I'd already have its new lore)

- Stone Giant Girdle --> Belt of Giant Strength, +3 STR (unchanged)

- Frost Giant Girdle --> "name_here", +3 STR (or slightly changed with something that could be tied to Crom Faeyr)

- Fire Giant Girdle --> "Belt of the Champion", +4 STR (or slightly changed with something barbarian/berserker related if possible)

I like your take on the belts! Do it, do it now - without asking anyones opinion! :):D

I already did, look at the first post of this topic as I'm updating it with all the most noticeable changes. :)

Being at home with a mid-high fever I'll "take advantage" of it to update the first post and finish packaging v3 (I've added quite a lot of things I previously planned only for v4).

I'll post here few things that may benefit from feedback. The following weapons use many of the "new" abilities applied via spl. Let me know if the % chance of triggering an ability seems to high/low, or if the effect duration is too long/short.

Bone Club +3

Some players suggested me to reduce the effectiveness of its Dooming ability, and I do agree (I really understimated this ability when I introduced it for v2). Note that this ability is indeed powerful because the only creatures which are going to be immune to it are golems, Mordy Sword and illusionary clones (am I missing something?). It now allows a save, and triggers 50% of the times.

Dooming: 50% chance target must save vs. spell or suffer -2 penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls and saving throws for 5 rounds

The only two weapons with this ability are this club (end of Spellhold) and The Ravager +4 (ToB).

Root of the Problem +3

Its Entangling ability now doesn't work on flying creatures, incorporeal creatures, and large, exceptionally strong creatures (e.g. golems, giants, dragons, ...). Multiple Entangling effects don't stack anymore.

Entangling: 50% chance target must save vs. breath or be entangled for 2 rounds

This ability is also used by Eagle Bow +2 (BG1, and where Ardanis put it in BG2 :D ), while Staff of Earth +2 will have an improved version of this ability (a la SR's Shambling Mound).

Flail of Submission +2

I've removed 5% chance to cast Domination (as unfortunately the opcode doesn't work as I thought :) ), and I replaced 15% chance to cause fear (not great for a melee weapon imo) with the new Domineering ability. Creatures immune to mind-control spells (e.g. undead, golems, ...) won't be affected by this ability.

Domineering: 50% chance target must save vs. spell or suffer -2 penalty to attack rolls and armor class for 5 rounds

This ability is currently used by this flail, Rift Hammer +2 (instead of v2's Fear), and Staff of Command +2 (which had no combat ability in v2).

Ardulia's Fall +2

Its Enfeebling ability now doesn't work on elementals, golems, undead, and illusionary creatures. Multiple Enfeebling effects stack.

Enfeebling: target must save vs. spell or be slowed, and suffer -1 penalty to attack rolls and armor class for 1 round

Skullcrusher +3

Nothing major about it. Bone Breaking ability still reduces target's maximum hit points by 2 for 1 turn (no save), but now it won't work on elementals, golems, incorporeal creatures, illusionary clones, and Mordenkainen's Sword.

Bone Breaking ability is used exclusively by this weapon.

The Sleeper +2

Mostly unchanged, I've only re-build it to match v3's standard (via spl, doesn't work on elementals, golems, ...).

Unconsciousness: 50% chance target must save vs. spell or fall asleep for 2 rounds

Does anyone ever used this morning star? The effect seems extremely powerful, is it fine?

Skullcrusher +3

I would replace the fixed +2 reduction of max. hit points caused by Bonebreaker with a fixed, non stackable percentage (5%) because the current reduction is laughable for many enemies.
I'm confused, you want to nerf it or improve it? Because a fixed 5% is much less powerful. If there's a general consensus on a non-stackable 5-10% solution fine with me, but it "discourages" consecutive hits against the same target imo.

Boots of Stealth

I've restored vanilla's lore and removed 'immunity to web' because a lot of players considered them overpowered for BG1.

I'm keeping v2's Spider's Boots of Stealth lore/item on hold as I may put them somewhere.

Boots of Etherealness

I've slightly modified the lore to allow the following unique ability.

Dimensional Anchor: wearer is unaffected by Teleport Field, Maze, Imprisonment and similar effects

Note that the boots will protect from the "banishing-like" effects of Demi-lich's Soul Trap (but not from its level drain effects added by SCS and/or SR), while it grants immunity to the "dimensional trap-room" effect of SR's Shadow Door.

Boots of Elvenkind

Personally I'd like to add 'immunity to entangling effects', but I can do it in a second, thus I'll let you decide this.

Archived