IR V3 - List of changes from V2 to V3

Demivrgvs

(e.g. druids and clerics cannot use long swords)
Ouh, mine can. Just remember we are not all playing with the same rule.

Now, about the disintegration effect, could you cap the damage to somewhere 20-50 magic damage, cause the 1% of the time with 100 000 HP damage is not really realistic.

Equalizer

Well, I won't take such things into account even if I don't mind clerics using swords (not all of them though, and druids using swords is a no no for a PnP lover like me). It's like saying I should take into account that you may play with a custom rule where druids can wear full plate armors and clerics can get grandmastery... :)

Now, about the disintegration effect, could you cap the damage to somewhere 20-50 magic damage, cause the 1% of the time with 100 000 HP damage is not really realistic.
It's either 5% chance with a high penalty on save (-4 or -6) or a 15% chance with a relatively easy save. Then I'd prefer to use SR's version of Disintegration because most players will never turn gore off (they probably don't even know they could do it to avoid the "loot destruction" issue), thus I can tweak the damage (as it depends on caster lvl) or give for granted it's intended to almost always kill the target and use the 40d6 points of damage. :D

Amulet of Seldarine

Frying my brain to find a cool Mielikki-related ability for an armor I may have found an uber cool ability for this supposedly uber cool amulet. :)

The net effect would be an ability which reduces the damage sustained when hit by 1 point (effectively curing the wielder of 1 hp whenever he's hit by an attack, being it a sword or a fireball). What do you think about it?

If some of you see any flaw/bug in this let me know. The only one I can think of is that a character immune to an energy type (Ring of Fire Res + Fireshield Red) may actually heal himself, but with SR's Protection spells this won't happen.

If/When we can use contingency like effects, could we get small party-wide buffs with a % chance on hit from the equalizer based on party HP? (And then maybe something related for the enemy, too...)

Something like:

<75%HP - 1d6Healing + Cure Poison

<50%HP - 2d6Healing + Cure Poison + 10% Elemental Resistance (2rounds)

<25%HP - 2d10Healing + Cure Poison + 10%Elemental Resistance (2rounds) + 3 Stoneskins

And lessening damage for the enemy as their own HP gets lower and lower (except the reverse)

>25%HP + 1d4Damage

>50%HP + 2d4Damage

>75%HP + 3d4Damage

This ought to make it a good weapon for equalizing a fight: while you are losing and the enemy is winning, you can gain some amazing bonuses to help you survive, but when the tides turn, it is suddenly not so advantageous, but definitely without becoming useless.

Regarding the Amulet of the Seldarine, the only possible flaw is that it could kill you before a potentially life-saving point is healing. (IE, you have 15HP when bezerker rage ends, causing 15 damage, and this would have saved your skin) On the flip side, if you have full HP, it could also be useless. It would provide an interesting combination with any weaponry which take the wielders HP to use. (As a note, would the Vampire's Revenge be better with 1d2damage to wielder on hit over degeneration, so you aren't penalized for walking around with it?)

Icen

Equalizer

If/When we can use contingency like effects, could we get small party-wide buffs with a % chance on hit from the equalizer...
This is a big IF, and I prefer to stay focused on things we can do instead of planning such a huge revolution which involves tons of on hit contingecy-like abilities.

Personally I don't like your idea too much sorry, hitting your enemy to cure either you or any ally is really too strange imo.

Amulet of Seldarine

Regarding the Amulet of the Seldarine, the only possible flaw is that it could kill you before a potentially life-saving point is healing. (IE, you have 15HP when bezerker rage ends, causing 15 damage, and this would have saved your skin).
Written like that it seems the healing-like effect is the one killing you instead of the 15 points of damage! :) It's a very small flaw imo (not even a real one because it's intended that it can't heal the wearer if he's already dead), and how many times can you be hit with the very same amount of damage of your remaining hit points?! 99,9% of times you'll take more damage and die (amulet works as intended) or less damage and survive (amulet works as intended) .

On the flip side, if you have full HP, it could also be useless.
:D While the former is a small flaw I don't understand how this can be a flaw. If you have full hp and you're hit the damage is reduced by one, and if you take no damage you still have full hp. In both cases the amulet would work as intended.

Vampire's Revenge

As a note, would the Vampire's Revenge be better with 1d2damage to wielder on hit over degeneration, so you aren't penalized for walking around with it?
Well, it's a cursed blade...anyway, your suggested solution is the pre-existing vanilla item. :)

Amulet of Seldarine

I'd be fine with the currently version.

Isn't 1/- a bit too small by the time we get it? Most every average ToB grunt does 10-20 damage, nevermind bosses. Also, wouldn't it trigger more than once upon multi-damaging attacks (take for example Gromnir's tweaked morning star)?

Equalizer
Well, I won't take such things into account even if I don't mind clerics using swords (not all of them though, and druids using swords is a no no for a PnP lover like me). It's like saying I should take into account that you may play with a custom rule where druids can wear full plate armors and clerics can get grandmastery... :D
Well, actually, the cleric grand mastery is nice mod too, but I am not saying you should take it or anything else into count when deciding this or that, but people should get to choose which rules to follow to the letter, and which to the spirit of the rules. And who the ghost is. Thus the restriction that only paladins shouldn't be able to use the weapon. See? :)

Personally I don't like your idea too much sorry, hitting your enemy to cure either you or any ally is really too strange imo.
Well, I can see that well, but only on hitter-target, not on group based effect, that's way too much... Besides, shouldn't the Equalizer effect the greater being more, so it becomes equal to the lesser one. So if you hit a target that has 1 hit point, the user has just 1 hit point, left. :)

Amulet of Seldarine

Which one?

Isn't 1/- a bit too small by the time we get it? Most every average ToB grunt does 10-20 damage, nevermind bosses.
Well, it still is quite useful because it probably prevents/heals a considerable amount of hit points during a battle. Anyway, it's more a technical anti-exploit limitation (if it heals 2 hp and there's a way to deal only 1 point of damage the wearer could be cured indefinitely).

Also, wouldn't it trigger more than once upon multi-damaging attacks (take for example Gromnir's tweaked morning star)?
Mmm...I don't know, but probably not because I don't think Fireshield hits you twice if you use a weapon with multiple-damage properties. It will heal you twice if the weapon causes repeated damage (e.g. poison damage, Gnasher's slivers, ...), but I don't see it as a flaw.

Anyway, mine was a suggestion to make something unique, but in the end it works almost as a regeneration effect. I simply thought a "protection" effect was more tied to elven lore than a "regeneration" one...but I'm also getting a little annoyed by having to "waste" ages thinking about this single item. :)

P.S

Well, actually, the cleric grand mastery is nice mod too, ...
OMG!! :D Why not a mod which lets clerics cast Time Stop then? :)
Amulet of Seldarine

Isn't 1/- a bit too small by the time we get it? Most every average ToB grunt does 10-20 damage, nevermind bosses. Also, wouldn't it trigger more than once upon multi-damaging attacks (take for example Gromnir's tweaked morning star)?

The concept idea is good, Demi. But Ardanis is right.

What I would suggest (you tell me if it is possible), is to have an healing effect trigger when hit, according to a percentage system instead.

Like:

%10 chance to be healed (1D6 HPs) when hit

In this way, I'd think this amulet would become interesting and rather original.

What do you think?

Amulet of Seldarine

Most every average ToB grunt does 10-20 damage, nevermind bosses. Also, wouldn't it trigger more than once upon multi-damaging attacks (take for example Gromnir's tweaked morning star)?

Like:

So I'll get 3.5 HPs more if I take 100-200 HPs damage?

-Not very appetizing, said the Vampire.

Amulet of Seldarine

Most every average ToB grunt does 10-20 damage, nevermind bosses. Also, wouldn't it trigger more than once upon multi-damaging attacks (take for example Gromnir's tweaked morning star)?

Like:

So I'll get 3.5 HPs more if I take 100-200 HPs damage?

-Not very appetizing, said the Vampire.

It's not supposed to be an infallible life saver.

Sometimes 1D6 of healing could be enough so that the next blow you receive won't kill you. I would be happy to have it.

Let's see what Demi says.

It's not supposed to be an infallible life saver.

Sometimes 1D6 of healing could be enough so that the next blow you receive won't kill you. I would be happy to have it.

But see, the 10% cuts down to healing by the power of 10. And when the healing power is less than 6 hit points and the average damage is 15 per hit, you'll be getting a huge amounts of damage with really low return expectation. It's like you would burn you cash(the bills) to heat your house, it's not economically a sound plan(as you can get far better result with +2 to AC, as that's ~30 Hit points at every 300 HP damage taken- vs. ~7 Hit points at every 300 damage taken).

Vorpal Effect

Even if I'd prefer to make Dragons immune to Vorpal effects I'll leave them out for now.

Thus for now the creatures I've made immune to it are: elementals, golems, mists, shadows, slimes, spectres, wraiths, and illusionary clones/creatures.

Taulmaril +3

I've replaced Catti-Brie's bow (it was using Tansheron's Bow name, lore and abilities :) ), with something much more similar to PnP: "A gift from Lady Anariel to Clan Battlehammer, this beautifully crafted force keen elven bow is made of polished wood. Though highly decorated, elf crafters also gave the bow metal inlays which gives the wielder the option to fend off attacks without sacrificing rate of fire and accuracy.

The Quiver of Anariel grants to Taulmaril an infinite amount of ammos, and arrows launched from the bow emit a powerful jolt of magical force which deals additional force damage on a successful hit. If the arrow successfully hits a target protected by a force effect, such as a Shield spell, it dispel the force effect in addition to damaging the target."

Note: requires no ammunition, but normal arrows cannot be fired with this bow. Quiver of Anariel's arrows are considered to be of +3 enchantment when determining what they can hit

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:

Armor Class: +4 bonus to AC (none vs. missile)

Combat Abilities:

Keen: +5% chance to score critical hits

Infuse Energy: deals 1D6 additional points of magic damage

Pierce Force Shield: dispels Mage Armor, Shield and Armor of Faith spells on hit

THAC0: +3 bonus

Damage: 1d6 + 4"

P.S it's a long bow now. In theory I should make the Quiver of Anariel a separate item...

It's time to resume the list of the major changes introduced to individual items. Some of them (like the suggested changes to Girdles of Giant Strength) may not be part of v3 because I'll close it today or tomorrow.

Belts/Girdles

I've never been satisfied with most of them (they are all too similar imo), but at the same time I'm kinda stuck with them...

Girdle of Piercing

Instead of +3 AC vs. piercing and missile weapons it now grants +4 vs. piercing.

Girdles of Giant Strength

I fear that changing 1-2 Girdles of Giant Strength into something more unique would be welcomed only if they still grant STR bonuses. Am I wrong? Considering only one of them (the Stone one) had a decent lore, and the extensive lore I've assigned to the Fire doesn't hint to any ability in particular, we'd actually be quite free to do what we want.

Girdle of Trollish Fortitude

You may know that in previous versions of IR I tried to block the "infinite healing" exploit due to +CON bonus with a -x hit points each time the item is equipped. We have two options:

a) get rid of +2 CON bonus, and replace it with +5-10 max HP and slow regeneration rate (not much unique imo)

b) reintroduce the '-18 hit points' and "justify" it within the description (e.g. "adapting to the increased constitution may sometime be painful, especially for weak characters" or something like that)

There's a third solution c) let players cheat with the 'infinite healing' if they wish so.

I usually prefer to not let cheesy exploits hanging around when I can block them...thus I'd say b), but if most of you are for another solution let me know.

Belt of Inertial Barrier

In theory I should have removed the 'inertial barrier' effect because the repeating EFF opcode causes some issues, but I really love this item, and thus it's the only exception to v3's rule which lets only armors/robes have aura-like effects (which needs such opcode).

One thing though, would you mind splitting 20% missile damage resistance into 10% res, and +2 to AC vs. missiles? (It's only for the usual fear of the 100%+ physical res issue).

Archived