IR V3 - List of changes from V2 to V3

Demivrgvs

Well well, this weekend I should finally be able to partially resume my work on V3...just to let you know I've not abandoned the various Revisions mods even if unfortunately my time is extremely limited.

Hooray!! In my eyes, when IR and KR are "finished" - the Baldurs Gate saga will finally be perfect. :thumbsup:

Good news. Another round of flame wars and troll breeding discussions is ahead ;)

Let the flaming brainstorming commence! :D

Well well, this weekend I should finally be able to partially resume my work on V3...just to let you know I've not abandoned the various Revisions mods even if unfortunately my time is extremely limited.

Hooray!! In my eyes, when IR and KR are "finished" - the Baldurs Gate saga will finally be perfect. :thumbsup:

Too much expectations for me to carry!! Thanks anyway! :D

Good news. Another round of flame wars and troll breeding discussions is ahead ;)
Let the flaming brainstorming commence! :D
Yeah!

Potion of Fire/Cold Resistance

Speaking of which, I'm currently working on potions (finally), and I was about to mod Potion of Fire Resistance/Cold Resistance/Insulation but I don't remember anymore if we ever reached a consensus on my suggestion about making them work as per SR's Protection from Fire/Cold/Electricity. Potion of Insulation already works like that, except the additional "protection from damage animation" feature added by SR.

Potions vs. Dispel

This is the most difficult decision to make imo. As of now any mage of at least 5th lvl will always successful dispel any effect granted by a potion. Is it fine for you? If you have nything to say on this matter this is the right time to let me know about it. :D

P.S Ardanis, despite my previous statements, I think I'm now on your side when you say that Potion of Magic Protection is almost useless if it can be dipelled so easily. As long as we seriously reduce the amount of resistance granted by the potion I'd agree on making the effect not-dispellable...that is if most players agree.

Regarding eventual suggestions for potions, keep in mind that even the most powerful potions shouldn't have effects better than a 5th lvl spell (most potions should have effects similar in power to a 2nd or 3rd lvl spell imo), and even then they should work as if cast by a spellcaster of a level not higher than the 10th.

Potions vs. Dispel

This is the most difficult decision to make imo. As of now any mage of at least 5th lvl will always successful dispel any effect granted by a potion. Is it fine for you? If you have nything to say on this matter this is the right time to let me know about it. :thumbsup:

That's not fine for me... after all most of the potion are consumed, not casted on, the effect should be more permanent, delayed perhaps too, but definitely more permanent... so I would make the potion effects (except the thrown once) natural 'abilities'/undispellable... of course the other effects could remove them, like True Sight, Lower Resistance etc.

Besides, how can you dispel a spell that was never actually casted... literally?

In 3rd edition it can be, because potions have effects like Mirror Image, Bless or whatever you want. I think that potions should be quite powerful (in the meaning of 100% immunity to fire, not summoning a dragon) but should last only few rounds. And no for potions dispelling.

Potions vs. Dispel

This is the most difficult decision to make imo. As of now any mage of at least 5th lvl will always successful dispel any effect granted by a potion. Is it fine for you? If you have nything to say on this matter this is the right time to let me know about it. :thumbsup:
That's not fine for me... after all most of the potion are consumed, not casted on, the effect should be more permanent, delayed perhaps too, but definitely more permanent... so I would make the potion effects (except the thrown once) natural 'abilities'/undispellable... of course the other effects could remove them, like True Sight, Lower Resistance etc.
Exactly the way I see it. Even for spell-like effects like an eventual Potion of Barkskin, I'd still see the potion as an alchemical device (thieves can brew them) rather than something which casts a spell on the user who drinks it.

Besides, how can you dispel a spell that was never actually casted... literally?
In 3rd edition it can be, because potions have effects like Mirror Image, Bless or whatever you want. I think that potions should be quite powerful (in the meaning of 100% immunity to fire, not summoning a dragon) but should last only few rounds. And no for potions dispelling.
We do seem to agree on everything this time around.
Potions vs. Dispel

...Exactly the way I see it. Even for spell-like effects like an eventual Potion of Barkskin, I'd still see the potion as an alchemical device (thieves can brew them) rather than something which casts a spell on the user who drinks it.

...We do seem to agree on everything this time around.

The only thing I would warn you is that: Do not use the: COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.itm$ -command, but instead patch each potion individually with their own code, so that we don't get undispellable 'Potion of Protection From Magical Items' etc. colossus type items...

After the annoying implosion of my previous install I've re-installed everything and started to play a game to provide myself some actual gameplay feedback. :D

Few things I've noticed in the very first hour of game...

Helm of Resilience and Helm of Balduran

I'd personally move one of the two helmets in another place, as it's a pity imo to find two unique helmets within two minutes of gameplay.

Sword of Chaos

A small idea which I don't remember if I ever suggested before, the wielder should be able to detect lawful creatures in some way imo. I should be able to do it in two ways, on hit or with a special ability similar to Detect Alignment.

Amulet of Metaspell Influence

Isn't it slightly too effective considering how easily you get it? Would removing either the 'immunity to silence' or 'casting speed bonus' make it unappealing? I'd obviously move such effect to another place (e.g. Amulet of Power).

Ring of Animal Friendship

While working on Ring of Air Control (which somehow caused my install to implode :thumbsup: ) I come up with a possible similar revision of this ring. What about replacing the Charm Animal with a once/day unique "animal companion" which lasts as long as the ring is equipped by either a ranger or a druid? Too much? ;)

Katanas & wakizashis

I'm fine with them being extremely rare (and IR absolutely isn't there to add new items), but adding/moving a lowly enchanted katana a little earlier in SoA wouldn't be bad imo (e.g. moving Malakar somewhere before Spellhold may be enough). Wakizashis are even more rare (only one in ToB), and I'd like to add at least one unique specimen in SoA. Kachiko's Wakizashi wasn't much special imo, and it obviously had a ridiculous high enchantment level for IR's standards, but a +1 or +2 unique wakizashi would be welcome. Any suggestion?

If you are looking for a new wazikashi, how about something like this (not too OP, I hope!):

Wazikashi + 1, 5% chance of planting a curse on target enemy, by dealing 4d3 damage to yourself. The curse does nothing for 3 rounds, when it does 4d6 damage to the enemy.

You can come up with the description. Doesn't seem too bad, and am very sure it is possible, and seems an interesting enough effect.

Icen

Isn't it slightly too effective considering how easily you get it? Would removing either the 'immunity to silence' or 'casting speed bonus' make it unappealing? I'd obviously move such effect to another place (e.g. Amulet of Power).

Personalty, I have more than one mage in my party(finally), but if you remove either of those effects, you really have to rethink the concept, and perhaps remove the items from where it is and place it somewhere else, not brake the item in half which are both useless, unless you put either of the effects to the Amulet of Power, but then you need to rename that as: Amulet of Overpower...

Thinking about this:

Thieves'Hood

Equipped Abilities:

Immunity to backstab

Armor Class Bonus: 1

Is the AC bonus conceptually reasonable when comparing to the other helms, I would say no.
If you are looking for a new wazikashi, how about something like this (not too OP, I hope!):

Wazikashi + 1, 5% chance of planting a curse on target enemy, by dealing 4d3 damage to yourself. The curse does nothing for 3 rounds, when it does 4d6 damage to the enemy.

You can come up with the description. Doesn't seem too bad, and am very sure it is possible, and seems an interesting enough effect.

I'm not sure why you'd want it to cause damage on the wielder, but a weapon which curses the target would be quite unique.

Personalty, I have more than one mage in my party(finally), but if you remove either of those effects, you really have to rethink the concept, and perhaps remove the items from where it is and place it somewhere else, not brake the item in half which are both useless, unless you put either of the effects to the Amulet of Power, but then you need to rename that as: Amulet of Overpower...
Isn't it slightly too effective considering how easily you get it?
Nope.
Would removing either the 'immunity to silence' or 'casting speed bonus' make it unappealing?

Yep.

Ok ok, let's leave it as it is then. :thumbsup:

Thieves'Hood

Thinking about this:
Equipped Abilities:

Immunity to backstab

Armor Class Bonus: 1

Is the AC bonus conceptually reasonable when comparing to the other helms, I would say no.
Well, you have a point, though when it comes to a magical hood I don't think it's so "inconsistent". Think og it as a sort of improved awarness which grants immunity to critical hits, backstabes, and a small dodge bonus. But if you have a better suggestion feel free to share it.
Thieves' iii Hood...

But if you have a better suggestion feel free to share it.

Well, the backstab awareness is given for the normal, but only the Improved Hood should have the +1 AC and the True Sight. So you wouldn't be taking anything away... just adjusting it a bit.

PS the i's are there just so you'll notice the difference. Notice the suggested thief hood -> Thieves Hood.

But Taimon fixed broken opcode which allows to change caster's level. So... why don't grant to Amulet of Power +2 to casting level and then Metaspell Influence stays at it's... but with exception that you're changing their placement. Metaspell influence fits perfectly to Aran Linval, when Amulet of Power is an interesting discovery in wizard's dungeons. :thumbsup:

Katanas & wakizashis

I'm fine with them being extremely rare (and IR absolutely isn't there to add new items), but adding/moving a lowly enchanted katana a little earlier in SoA wouldn't be bad imo (e.g. moving Malakar somewhere before Spellhold may be enough). Wakizashis are even more rare (only one in ToB), and I'd like to add at least one unique specimen in SoA. Kachiko's Wakizashi wasn't much special imo, and it obviously had a ridiculous high enchantment level for IR's standards, but a +1 or +2 unique wakizashi would be welcome. Any suggestion?

IMO Malakar should be a wakizashi, with +2 AC bonus and reducing penalty to off-hand weapon. Wakizashi is a sort of support-sword, great option for second hand which works as protection and additional chance of attack. Wakizashi +1 with these bonuses, lack of great power to attack, but helpfull in defence.

Archived