IR V3 - List of changes from V2 to V3

Demivrgvs

But Taimon fixed broken opcode which allows to change caster's level. So... why don't grant to Amulet of Power +2 to casting level and then Metaspell Influence stays at it's... but with exception that you're changing their placement. Metaspell influence fits perfectly to Aran Linval, when Amulet of Power is an interesting discovery in wizard's dungeons. :thumbsup:
In a way that's very good idea, as at the beginning, the player does indeed needs more spells to be castable, not more power to the spells, and Irenicus's sort of mage could have left the amulet that 'only' gives more spells to the cabinet if thy had better to replace it with.

Amulet of Metaspell Influence

But Taimon fixed broken opcode which allows to change caster's level. So... why don't grant to Amulet of Power +2 to casting level and then Metaspell Influence stays at it's... but with exception that you're changing their placement. Metaspell influence fits perfectly to Aran Linval, when Amulet of Power is an interesting discovery in wizard's dungeons. ;)
In a way that's very good idea, as at the beginning, the player does indeed needs more spells to be castable, not more power to the spells, and Irenicus's sort of mage could have left the amulet that 'only' gives more spells to the cabinet if thy had better to replace it with.
Actually I think yarpen is suggesting the opposite Jarno, and I sort of agree with him. A bonus to caster level is useful to a low-mid level caster (e.g. where it may means a fireball which deals +2d6 points of damage), whereas for an archmage like Irenicus even a +5 to caster level means nothing (except for dispel checks), an additional spell per level means a lot!

Yarpen, a bonus to caster level was actually one of the first two solutions I suggested for the AoMI ages ago (the other being "increased duration to spells') but then I discovered the broken opcode. You can find the list of metamagic feats here. Using this opcode somewhere now would be cool,I'll think about it.

Malakar

IMO Malakar should be a wakizashi, with +2 AC bonus and reducing penalty to off-hand weapon. Wakizashi is a sort of support-sword, great option for second hand which works as protection and additional chance of attack. Wakizashi +1 with these bonuses, lack of great power to attack, but helpfull in defence.
I know what you mean, and that's how I designed the only unique wakizashi already available, Yamato. I cannot assign a bonus to off-hand thac0 though, because all wakizashis already do that within IR. :thumbsup:

But Yamato grants +2 to AC in goddamn Throne of Bhaal, where your AC is lowered to -23 and this +2 to AC isn't cool anymore. Without ridicolous +4 enchantment it would be just funny. So maybe Yamato with +1/+2 enchantment into Shadows of Amn, something far more epic for Trone of Bhaal. Is there a possibility of making something similiar like Turning Spells, but for physical attacks?

Yamato

But Yamato grants +2 to AC in goddamn Throne of Bhaal, where your AC is lowered to -23 and this +2 to AC isn't cool anymore. Without ridicolous +4 enchantment it would be just funny. So maybe Yamato with +1/+2 enchantment into Shadows of Amn, something far more epic for Trone of Bhaal. Is there a possibility of making something similiar like Turning Spells, but for physical attacks?
Yamato is "only" +3 enchanted. :thumbsup: Anyway, though I don't think +2 bonus to AC and saves isn't very useful in ToB (it really is), I do agree it isn't "cool". Unfortunately the parry system I used in my internal beta can't be done without using a repeating EFF (if Taimon ever fixes such opcode you really can't imagine how many cool things I'd be able to implement within IR), but for "physical spell turning" you mean a sort of "counter-attack" that easily doable, and may actually be a rather unique feature for a companion sword (though that alone may not be enough).

The counter-attack would be something like 1d6 slashing damage to whomever successfully hits the wielder of the sword. Would you like this solution?

In that case yes, the other unique wakizashi within SoA may just as easily be something like the current Malakar, which then would need a re-revision! ;)

Amulet of Metaspell Influence
Actually I think yarpen is suggesting the opposite Jarno, and I sort of agree with him. A bonus to caster level is useful to a low-mid level caster (e.g. where it may means a fireball which deals +2d6 points of damage), whereas for an archmage like Irenicus even a +5 to caster level means nothing (except for dispel checks), an additional spell per level means a lot!
Ouh, and the Archmage like Irenicus is going to care if he can cast 7 or eight fireballs? While not if he can be silenced or not? During the first spell and be unable to cast any...

PS, the archmage could make the same kind of exit strategy as the player can use in ToB, he runs out of spells and he returns to a Pocket Plane to rest for the 8 hours, and has the another 7 extra fireballs ready. Of course the higher spell level spells always matter more, but the Amulet of Power doesn't give 9th level spells for a reason. And did you actually read this part:

...but with exception that you're changing their placement. Metaspell influence fits perfectly to Aran Linval, when Amulet of Power is an interesting discovery in wizard's dungeons. :thumbsup:
+2 to casting level isn't "amount of spells which you can cast per day" but how powerfull spels are. So of fireball deals 1d6 damage per level, after using this item, it will deal additional 2d6, do you understand now? :D
Well, it's kinda hard to understand, as there is no fireball that inflicts 1d6 damage per spell level... as it's 5d6+1d6*level (x-5), with x<11, or then x=10, and that's without taking the saves into a count.

And if we are talking about increasing the power of a spell via amulet, then is a metaspell amulet, as for example there is Empower Spell feat and similar effects all in Metamagic feats... even though they do not belong to the 2e, there still no doubt had the same name in 2e, than in 3e. :thumbsup:

;)

Besides, the faced monsters at lower levels usually should be more in numbers, and less massive(so they have less hitpoints), might just make the 5 fireballs more desirable than the 3 with the chance to be silenced etc.

Yamato

Exemplary cool!

What about counter-attack in this manner - you can always set percentage chance for that, you know :D

Ok, I take it you like my suggested solution. :D I think it should deal the same damage of the sword, thus 1d8+3. For the % chance I really don't know, it's quite hard to determine how effective it can be without testing it a lot in game.

Amulet of Metaspell Influence & Amulet of Power

+2 to casting level isn't "amount of spells which you can cast per day" but how powerfull spels are. So of fireball deals 1d6 damage per level, after using this item, it will deal additional 2d6, do you understand now? ;)
Well, it's kinda hard to understand, as there is no fireball that inflicts 1d6 damage per spell level... as it's 5d6+1d6*level (x-5), with x<11, or then x=10, and that's without taking the saves into a count.
Well, it's not so difficult to understand imo. A wizard of 5th level would cast a 5d6 fireball without the amulet and a 7d6 fireball with the amulet.

P.S Would it be worth something to make Fireball start at lvl 1 with a 1d6 fireball instead of having a minimum 5d6 fireball? If there's a good reason for it I may do that within SR...

And if we are talking about increasing the power of a spell via amulet, then is a metaspell amulet, as for example there is Empower Spell feat and similar effects all in Metamagic feats... even though they do not belong to the 2e, there still no doubt had the same name in 2e, than in 3e.
I posted a similar link in my previous post, and I indeed suggested to use such feature for the metaspell amulet. At the same time though the current v2 version is based upon Quicken Spell and Silent Spell, both metamagic feats as well.

I have to think a little about this. One thing I need to know is: Amulet of Power's additional spell slots is the effect most of you like the least, am I right? It would be reasonable imo considering Ring of Acuity/Wizardry/Holiness do almost the same.

Last but not least my concern is that the 'caster lvl bonus' opcode doesn't work without exe patching, thus I should have to create two versions of the same item for those who can't install the exe pacth (is there someone like that? :thumbsup: ).

Ring of Animal Friendship

I'd say that making that proposed change would annoy me (if you keep the +1 to wisdom). I say leave it as is.
Well, less work for me.
for those who can't install the exe pacth (is there someone like that?).

Some international versions of BG2 (I know only about polish) have fixed .exe file (it's a bit larger) but we usually have to replace it with english (or from older polish distributions) one because there are few mods which already patches the game as LadyJarl TuTu GUI etc. So there's no problem with that.

Also. Metamagic affects spells which you're casting so things like immunity to silence, faster casting time or empowered spells are far more proper and canon than just additional spell slots.

Last but not least my concern is that the 'caster lvl bonus' opcode doesn't work without exe patching, thus I should have to create two versions of the same item for those who can't install the exe pacth (is there someone like that? :thumbsup: ).

Pretty much all of the .exe patches available now are for ToB v26498, which means they can't be used by Mac users or by people who don't have the expansion installed. The latter is not a huge issue in this case, since the main component already requires ToB for the opcodes used by some of the items, but IR should try to remain completely Mac-compatible. I'm all in favour of adding stuff to IR that takes advantage of new things now available with Taimon's patches, but we should also provide alternatives for those who are unable to use the patches.

Amulet of Metaspell Influence & Amulet of Power One thing I need to know is: Amulet of Power's additional spell slots is the effect most of you like the least, am I right?
Well, if you excuse me, I'll say this once again...

I would like the Amulet of Power to be like it is in v2, just placed into the Chateau Irenicus while... the Amulet of Metaspell Influence to be the amulet Aran Linval/Bodhi gives you for your money for the trip... this would give the chance to add the +2 caster levels to the Amulet of Metaspell Influence without it being in the wrong place and too easily to be obtained.

Of course you could keep the AoMSI where it is with the two effects in v2, while giving the AoP the +2 level 'Metamagic' property, with it being so easily to obtain... it's all up to your oppinion, mine is to move the AoMsI, and give it the +2 caster level effect.

P.S Would it be worth something to make Fireball start at lvl 1 with a 1d6 fireball instead of having a minimum 5d6 fireball? If there's a good reason for it I may do that within SR...

BG1TuTu or BGT and BG2 Tweak's component "Spells from scrolls are casted at caster's level". And maybe some funny kits/items which allows you using some abilities earlier than their original spell-level-obtaining is? I think that it should be done, but that's a lot of additional work for you.

But I'm certain that these should be done for KITS. Because you can play with Cleric of Helm in BG1TuTu and your Seeking Sword lasts 1 round at levels 1-6, and then poof, 7 rounds at level 7th. Game developers weren't thinking about implementing kits solutions for earlier levels. As far as I remember it was like this.

Item effects whic require an exe patching

Pretty much all of the .exe patches available now are for ToB v26498, which means they can't be used by Mac users or by people who don't have the expansion installed. The latter is not a huge issue in this case, since the main component already requires ToB for the opcodes used by some of the items, but IR should try to remain completely Mac-compatible. I'm all in favour of adding stuff to IR that takes advantage of new things now available with Taimon's patches, but we should also provide alternatives for those who are unable to use the patches.
;)

Low level headers for spell and spell-like abilities

BG1TuTu or BGT and BG2 Tweak's component "Spells from scrolls are casted at caster's level". And maybe some funny kits/items which allows you using some abilities earlier than their original spell-level-obtaining is? I think that it should be done, but that's a lot of additional work for you.

Mmm...ok, I'll add to the to-do list for SR v4 then (I won't be working on that soon though).

But I'm certain that these should be done for KITS. Because you can play with Cleric of Helm in BG1TuTu and your Seeking Sword lasts 1 round at levels 1-6, and then poof, 7 rounds at level 7th. Game developers weren't thinking about implementing kits solutions for earlier levels. As far as I remember it was like this.
Indeed. KR does take this into account, and even abilities such as Berserker and Barbarian rages now have a low level version.

Archived