GTU Light

Wisp

Guest guest

Samia, the woman in Firkragg's dungeon, says: 'Probably a hold-over from at time of war, blah blah...'

Should be: 'Probably a hold-over from a time of war, blah blah..."

or 'Probably a hold-over from times of war, blah blah..."

Etc, many possible changes; whatever you deem "lite".

Currently using GTU Lite v9.01.

In fact I am inclined to think that a) is not the same metal, or b) FR Lore Mithril / Canon, which is breaking dive.

Neither reason is good enough for me to change

What exactly are you replying to? In any case, I believe we've established that there's no mithril in FR lore/canon, and any mention of it should be changed to mithral.

Some errors in GREYHAND.DLG

Ah yes, the tone is as described. You are <CHARNAME>, aren't you. <CHARNAME> of Baldur's Gate who's father is Gorion.

(StrRef: 57601)

who's -> whose

No one sent me, but I am here because of someone and their interest in you. I owe that someone a debt, and I will pay it thorough you.

(StrRef: 57608)

thorough -> through

I have no master, and the onw I owe does not know of my plan. No, this will not benefit him in the least.

(StrRef: 57615)

onw -> one

Used by the Restored Encounters component of Unfinished Business but they don't correct the errors above.

General policy has been to not include corrections for issues that do not appear in the vanilla game. If another mod restores cut content I am inclined to think it falls upon it to make sure it is correct.

Should this be an exception?

Technically it's code and dialogue shipped with the vanilla game.. so that's a case to be made for that. But I'd like to know what hook71 means with "they don't correct the errors above." That they won't (because there's no management/interest) or that they don't in this version (but no bug report has been made)? That answer to that has an effect on my answer at least.

What I meant was that they don't correct the errors above at the moment. If it is decided GTU Light won't fix it I will report it to the developers of Unfinished Business instead. GTU Classic fixed two of the errors above (who's and onw) and maybe the developers of the mod relied on users having that installed.

I can certainly understand the current policy and think it's wise not to actively search for errors in this type of unused content. At the same time I would be glad if something like this could be fixed when reported and also since I think many older mods relied on the corrections in GTU Classic it would certainly be easier if it was included in GTU Light as well.

Personally I wouldn't even think twice and would correct it.

What harm can fixing spelling typos make? Those typos are part of the vanilla dialog.tlk file and I'd rather see them corrected.

While on one hand, you have a point, Salk, on the other, I think your comment goes against the philosophy of GTU Light. To quote the original post:
The GTU changes well over 11000 strings. The vast majority of these changes are redundant or pointless and only make it more difficult to work with the lot of them. "GTU Light" is derived from the GTU but endeavours to only make meaningful and beneficial changes to the written text of the game.

What I have done:

I've gone through gtu.tra and looked for strings met these two criteria:

-It probably shows up in the game. A string probably shows up in the game if it is referenced by a j-dlg file or something like that.

-The change to the string is something I consider worthwhile. Examples of worthwhile are changing presense into presence, Riativin into Riatavin or changing the string to match the voice-over. Examples of not worthwhile are adding a blank space after every instance of ..., changing double-spaces into single-space or changing theatre into theater.

If the GTU string contained typos, spurious changes or other GTU flimflam I've generally used the corrected vanilla string instead of copying the GTU string.

I've added the reported cases from the Fixpack forums I know of (the three in Nythrun's 6.2 post, the horde->hoard ones Mike posted and Mike's fixed item usability descriptions).

I've been slightly adventurous and briefly ventured into the tlk-jungle on my own in search of strings in need of correction.

What I haven't done:

I've generally not gone over descriptions of different kinds to make sure they are factually correct, consistent etc. There are some fixes like this, however.

I've not checked or included string changes advertised as making changes only meaningful to SoA-only games.

I've not included Nythrun's long bow description fixes from Nythrun's 6.2 post, since they depend on making changes to the item too. Also, there is a conflict between this fix' way of changing the description and the GTU/GTUL's fix for a typo in Taralash's description.

I've not gone too out of my way to look for and fix misspellings like your instead of you're, to instead of too etc. There are probably five million each of these. I have corrected the ones I found while going through the GTU and a few I've noticed on my own.

I've not scoured the internet (or even the Fixpack forums) for other reports of bad spelling or grammar. If you know of something that hasn't been included, please speak up.

These are for the most part, good points. Especially notable is "It probably shows up in the game". Unfinished Business restorations do not show up in a game that has only the Fixpack (and GTU) to account for. Being that UB is still more-or-less under maintenance, I think Wisp is right in that UB should deal with textual corrections to UB-restored text. Along the same lines, there is no reason to go through text that the unmodded game never references.

Speaking of which, Wisp, do you have some sort of code that determined whether or not the game referenced particular strings? I have an idea of how such code might look, but since you've likely already done it, no need to reinvent the wheel. We should have had this before going through all the BG1 text, but I don't think it ever occurred to us.

Speaking of which, Wisp, do you have some sort of code that determined whether or not the game referenced particular strings? I have an idea of how such code might look, but since you've likely already done it, no need to reinvent the wheel. We should have had this before going through all the BG1 text, but I don't think it ever occurred to us.

Mostly I just used NI to search for references. I had a short snippet to look for EXTERNs to a particular dialogue state, but it was nothing fancy; basically just a COUNT_REGEXP_INSTANCES across a C_E_R of all .dlg files.

I started playing BG2 again recently with GTU Light v9.01 installed. So far, I ran into the following typos/erros:

Tavern Rumor – “Clerics throughout the city are disappearing… only to be reappear with their (…)”

Brus – “I hears there’s this kid (…) Anyways… yer a ranger and ye can go wanderin’ in the forest to found out about it, no doubt.”

-> Only if you’re a ranger.

Gaelen Bayle – “Coo! There be many places to sell as well as buy. Arledian upstairs is as good (..)”

-> Should be Arledrian

Anomen – “I trust that your accounting is true. Tell me, then Charname, be you (..)”

-> Incorrect comma

Xzar – “I am not here to address you, heartless Harper wench. I am here to appeal to (..)”

-> Way too many spaces.

Captain Arat – “If you enter the castle, (..) drawbridge from inside (..)” Spaces midsentence.

Captain Arat – “The deeper you get within (..)” Too many spaces twice further down in this sentence.

Flydian – “He is Lord Logan Coprith (..)”

A1 – What it is worth? I need to (..)

Vyatri – “But there’s no explaining that to folks, not when they’re lives are in danger.”

Vyatri is the owner of the pub in Trademeet.

Jaheira – “Perhaps not. It has always been so (..)”

A1 – Bury it all as treasure then, I tire or your musings.

Cernd – “I would, my friend, but this IS my home and it is YOU who intrude. Well, it was my home (..)”

Peasant – “Me wife keeps naggin’ me (..) maybe I’ll go the tavern and just say I was robbed, aye?

This is from a peasant in the Bridge District.

Viconia – “I remained hooded at all times, (..) would own my own homestead , away from prying eyes.

-> There’s a space before and after the comma.

Embarl – “The fact that he knows I heard him means Mae’Var will hunt me until he I am dead!”

Alatelo De Bonito – “Hello, hello! (…) Then welcome to the evening showing of the talents of Alateto De Bonito!”

One of the vampire encounters in Chapter 2: Parisa – “I see you lurking (…) No need in you losing your life over something a simple as this.”

Also, at the end of this encounter the text at the bottom of the screen says ‘Shadow Thief – attacks PC’, but in fact he only runs off and doesn’t attack at all.

Nalia – “I don’t know Jaheira, I’ve heard of this Lord Jeirdan. He’s brutal; (…)” Should be Jierdan.

Garren Windspear – “Follow behind me. My cabin is but a short distance South of here. (…)”

Edwin – “For once I agree with the addled ranger. I dislike being manipulated and would be interested in Lord Jeirdan’s reasons (…).” Should be Jierdan again.

Ertof Dand (Bandit encounter with Jaheira) – “Yes, let’s do just that. I’ll start. Ye’ll be handing over what valluables ye have –and we’ve heard ye have a lot – and then we’ll be going on our way.”

Inconsistent way of using a space after a – sign.

Lady Lasalla – “The man is swine! Leave me now. (…)”

Anomen – “Surely if Saerk killed my sister (…)”

A3: - The answer is obvious. (…) Saerk’s life shall surely be forefeit for that of your sister’s, (…)

Anomen – “What you say holds truth yet, as my father says, I am honor-bound to to find my sister’s (..)”

Nalia – “I must go to the Graveyard District (…)”

A2: - I cannot simply about face and charge off without first knowing why.

Jaheira – “Perhaps not. It has always been so, (…)”

A1: - Bury it all as treasure then. I tire or your musings.

Nalia – “I will try to be less of a burden on the group in future. (..)”

In the Bridge District. Storekeep – “Hallo to you, my lord. (…)“

Lady Lasalla – “Why must this Inn always be crowded with (…)”

Inn is written with a capital midsentence.

Count Claylan – “So I said to the Baron, ‘Honestly, sir! You must learn to control yourself” (…)”

Inconsistent quotation marks.

Cor Delryn – “The proof lies in that fact that he has taken everything else from me.”

(Spell Description) Charm Person or Mammal – “The person receives a saving throw vs. spell to avoid the effect.”

Should say ‘saving throw against spells’.

(Journal Entry) Animal Trouble in Trademeet: Met with militia.

“(…) He directed me to High Merchant Lord Logan Coprith. (…)”

'He' refers to the militia captain in the previous sentence. The militia captain is female however.

Khan Zahraa – “Greetings to you, wayfarer! (…)”

A2: - What would Calimshite genies being doing here in Trademeet?

(In the Crooked Crane) Rilmi – “They’re lost causes now. Wild as animals. If you ever seem them again, (…)”

So far, I ran into the following typos/erros

Good stuff. It has all been accounted for except one item:

Nalia – “I must go to the Graveyard District (…)”

A2: - I cannot simply about face and charge off without first knowing why.

Can you elaborate? The verb about face looks to be used unobjectionably here.

Archived