GTU Light

Wisp

strref 30577 - "Soh des neh?" should be "So desu ne?"

Actually, it suddenly hit me... shouldn't it be spelled "sou desu ne"?

(Probably worth mentioning that my, err... truly vast pool of knowledge stems only from subtitled anime.)

Yeah, actually. Romaji is not exact, but my wife has informed me that the extra 'u' is better. Chalk one up for subtitled anime. :)

It being broken 日本語 may be the point, no? (And my dictionary romajifies it as soo, since that's what it sounds like)

Yoshimo is from Kara-Tur, so he shouldn't be using broken Japanese--err, Kara-Turian (he gets 'yokatta' correct, after all).

Hiragana-wise, it's そうですね: so-u-de-su-ne. Sometimes you see it as 'sō' or just 'so'. Per the wife, 'soo' is usually only used if someone abnormally draws out the o-sound. After hearing the clip she's sticking with her 'sou desu ne' recommendation.

More string submissions. The correction to #39656 overlaps with the 'STATISTICS' fix posted earlier in the thread. (For a missing colon, I guess?)

gtul.tpa

17647 @1017647 // Consistency with other spell descriptions. "Skull Trap (necromantic)" -> "Skull Trap (Necromancy)"
17725 @1017725 // "benefactors hand" -> "benefactor's hand"
17738 @1017738 // crew'd -> crew
25872 @1025872 // Space. "Casting Time:3" -> "Casting Time: 3"; "Therefor" -> "Therefore"
30172 @1030172 // Matching VO, heavy revision. "Tell my people you carry the piece so that you might deplete it; that you go to restore its components and dispose of it as a whole. My people must know I intend to destroy it... but more, they must know I intend to end their service." -> "Tell my people that you carry the piece that I give you, that you might deplete it; that you go to restore its components so that it may be disposed of as a whole, not in part. My people must know I intend to destroy it when you return... but more, they must know I intend to end their service."
30227 @1030227 // "in a millennia!" -> "in a millennium!" (Or "in millennia!")
34440 @1034440 // Added 'and'. "Do a task for me I shall heal the damage" -> "Do a task for me and I shall heal the damage"
37736 @1037736 // Matching VO. "have the half of" -> "have half of"
39656 @1039656 // Mis-spaced full stop. "called Kitthix ." -> "called Kitthix."; "use it's Web" -> "use its Web"
45840 @1045840 // "Who's blasted job" -> "Whose blasted job"

gtul.tra

@1017647 = ~Skull Trap (Necromancy)
Level: 3
Range: 20 yards
Duration:  Until triggered
Casting Time: 3
Area of Effect: 30 foot radius
Saving Throw: 1/2

Upon casting this spell, a skull is thrown by the caster at the target area.  The skull floats in the area until a creature comes within 20 feet of it.  When this happens the skull is triggered and explodes, damaging everyone within a 30 foot radius.  The damage inflicted is equal to 1d6 hit points per level of the caster, or half with a successful save vs. spell.  When casting this spell it is wise to set it far away from the party, lest they set it off accidentally.~ []
@1017725 = ~So it goes the sacred grimoire ne'er made it to our benefactor's hand. And now he awaits its arrival with a zeal reserved for a grog-blossom in an alekeg.~ []
@1017738 = ~We'd be wise to pay a visit to the Copper Coronet, as I've a strong suspicion that the motley crew ain't even out of town just yet. They'll be living the good life 'bout now.~ []
@1025872 = ~Detect Illusion (Divination)
Level: 3
Range: 0
Duration: Instant
Casting Time: 3
Area of Effect: 20' radius
Saving Throw: None

When cast at a point designated by the wizard this spell will cancel all illusion/phantasm spells of 3rd level and lower in the area.  The spells that are affected by this are Refected Image, Invisibility, Mirror Image, and Non-detection.  It is important to note that the caster can control just who this spell affects.  Therefore, it will affect only creatures that are not in the caster's party.  The area of effect is roughly a 20' radius around the target.  The target's magic resistance, if any, does not come into effect with this spell.~ []
@1030172 = ~Tell my people that you carry the piece that I give you, that you might deplete it; that you go to restore its components so that it may be disposed of as a whole, not in part. My people must know I intend to destroy it when you return... but more, they must know I intend to end their service.~ [RIFTG11]
@1030227 = ~You have the great device! What are you doing with that? It cannot be moved! It has not been moved in a millennium!~ []
@1034440 = ~It was not a question, fool. I do this because you have an aura of usefulness about you. Do a task for me and I shall heal the damage done to the girl's mind.~ []
@1037736 = ~Please... now that you have half of the device, you must go at once and destroy the creature before he kills us all!~ [SASSAR08]
@1039656 = ~Black Spider

This black spider figurine fits in the palm of your hand.  When the command word is spoken the figurine comes to life as a semi-intelligent spider called Kitthix.  The spider will obey its master's commands for the duration of the spell or until slain.  After five minutes, regardless of whether the spider lived or died, the figurine returns.  It takes a day to recharge the figurine.

STATISTICS:

Special Abilities: Summons a huge spider for five minutes, once each day. The spider can Phase during combat. Kitthix can also use its Web Tangle ability, which sprays a stream of webbing at one target. If the target fails its save, it will be held by the webbing for 2 rounds. Kitthix's melee attack is poisonous.~ []
@1045840 = ~What the what? Strangers walking in our midst! Whose blasted job was it to keep watch? Spoiled our hidin' for sure!~ []

I'm kinda-sorta happy with the GTUL now (after ballooning it by 100 %). A list of changes since the initial version is available here. Feel free to look it over and comment on anything you do not think belong there.

Most up-to-date files are available via git(hub).

Some things I haven't addressed, but that maybe should be addressed:

The descriptions of spells causting blindness are inaccurate. Blindness causes a -10 penalty to THAC0, while the descprions usually say it's a -4 penalty to THAC0 and AC. To further complicate things, ToBEx provides the option of altering the effects of blindness to match the descriptions.

Descriptions of fire/cold-resistance spells usually go on quite a bit about "magical fire/cold" damage. However, nothing actually causes magical fire/cold damage and protection from fire provides full protection from spells like fireball (whereas it is advertised to only provide partial protection).

The description of luck claims it improves all your rolls by 1 (or 5%). It actually increases minimum damage and hit rolls by one and reduces damage suffered from spells by 1 point per damage die.

Some typo fixes for spells from DR yet to be caught:

sppr306 Protection from Fire (#12202)

etc.. => etc.

sppr505 True Seeing (#25623) - note that this description has additional issues, but I'd advise anyone who wants sensible descriptions to look to SR

effected => affected

sppr606 Fire Seeds (#14254)

casters => caster's

sppr709 Confusion (#10985)

will either go berserk, stand confused or wander about => will go berserk, stand confused or wander about

DR also adds "Multiple castings of this spell are not cumulative." to the following spells:

sppr113 Doom (#3352)

sppr202 Barkskin (#12209)

sppr306 Protection from Fire (#12202)

sppr412 Holy Power (#6088)

All but Barkskin include a "Protection from Spell" effect to ensure the spell can only be cast once. Curiously, it seems that the saving throw bonuses from Barkskin might actually be cumulative.

The HLA changes don't seem to include any strict fixes, but there was something for holy symbols:

belt12.itm Holy Symbol of Lathander (#66455)

Only those most worthy and devoted servants of the Dawnbringer are granted these powerful holy symbols. => Only the most worthy and devoted servants of the Dawnbringer are granted these powerful holy symbols.

belt13.itm Holy Symbol of Helm (#66456)

Only those most worthy and devoted servants of the Watcher are granted these powerful holy symbols. => Only the most worthy and devoted servants of the Watcher are granted these powerful holy symbols.

belt14.itm Holy Symbol of Talos (#66457)

Only those most worthy and devoted servants of the Storm Lord are granted these powerful holy symbols. => Only the most worthy and devoted servants of the Storm Lord are granted these powerful holy symbols.

I don't know about done done. There's always something left to do.

However, maybe the GTUL is mostly done now. It could stand being reviewed and I haven't really done item descriptions [1], but other than that I can't think of much beyond carefully examining all 75000 strings in the game one could do to systematically add to the GTUL.

[1] I have checked them for spelling and some other stuff. Bioware mostly got into trouble when they tried to use grown-up language, but item descriptions are mainly simple narratives without complex sentence structures, so there's probably not much beyond hyphenation to fix there.

Edit: And, of course, there is the ever-present possibility I overlooked something or made a mistake.

Archived