Holy. Crap.

Nightwoe

dltcep won't help with the weidu scripting errors. The error it reported is just a consequence of your scripting problem (that is, the script doesn't compile, thus doesn't produce a compiled .bcs file).

The alternative is, that your override script reference is not needed.

This line i'm talking about:

--> WRITE_EVALUATED_ASCII SCRIPT_OVERRIDE ....

Btw, it is easier (for me), to create the new character entirely by DLTCEP, and use weidu scripting only for tlk strings.

dltcep won't help with the weidu scripting errors. The error it reported is just a consequence of your scripting problem (that is, the script doesn't compile, thus doesn't produce a compiled .bcs file).

Btw, it is easier (for me), to create the new character entirely by DLTCEP, and use weidu scripting only for tlk strings.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take another look at that later. All her dialog files work now, (thank you grim and cmorgan). I found her string reference to her name playing around with dltcep, but even after fixing her .CRE, her name is still completely absent in-game. No matter how much I play around, nothing works. *shrug*

Needless to say, I will continue working on her. I like to consider that the 'core' work is complete, all her basics are done, (ignoring her name issue >.>).

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take another look at that later. All her dialog files work now, (thank you grim and cmorgan). I found her string reference to her name playing around with dltcep, but even after fixing her .CRE, her name is still completely absent in-game. No matter how much I play around, nothing works. *shrug*

Needless to say, I will continue working on her. I like to consider that the 'core' work is complete, all her basics are done, (ignoring her name issue >.>).

Yeah, the name won't work unless you get it to work with WeiDU. Why it's not doing that is rather baffling...

I have Gwen working bug-free, now. ^_^

Now I am coding the rest of her dialogues and such...which brought me to another question >.>

I've previously read tutorials and successfully coded NPC-NPC dialogue, NPC-PC dialogue... how do you code Joinable NPC-Nonjoinable NPC-PC dialogue? To make that clearer, Gwen's very first interaction with the PC involves Gwen herself, a priest NPC, and obviously the PC. I have no idea how to do both in the same banter. Also, Gwen isn't in the party yet when the dialogue happens, but I am assuming that doesn't matter because this would be considered her pre-party dialogue...right?

You could do something to detect if all of those people are within a certain area/sight of the PC. From there you just call on the NPCs as you would in any other banter. Plan out your banter conditions so that the game knows who needs to be where and do what in order for the talk to happen.

What Ace said :cool:

ioware crew talk to PC before joining. You can set up any kind of regular banter before she is joined using her pre-joined file; one example of this approach is Grim's Tyris Flair mod. On the Aran Whitehand forum buried somewhere is a treatment of this where the in-party NPC's can chime in about whether Aran joining is a good idea, too.

You may find it easier to set up the interaction as a cutscene before the opportunity for her to join the party is granted, as then it plays ut as a non-interactive scene (exposition) and you can be sure it plays.

Did Nightwoe ever get the name of her NPC to display in game? I'm having the same issue with an NPC I've created and can't find a solution anywhere.

My NPC name displays on everything else except in game. NI shows the name, DLTCEP shows the name, saved games examined in ShadowKeeper shows the name... just not in game. An alternate question would be if I can simply have weidu copy over the pre-existing .cre file without having to write the ascii string values, etc...?

What exactly do you mean be "not shown in the game" (I aplogize for not reading through the thread, explanation or link to the relevant post would be appreciated).

First thing that comes to my mind: Are you sure you spawned the right cre file, and did you spawn him anew after making any changes to the name (just in case the character you see in the game is an older one where the name is not assigned (yet))?

No problem. Most of the thread is not about the "missing name" issue.

The first place in-game where the name should be displayed is when you hover your mouse over the NPC on screen or over the portrait. There's a small scroll that unrolls, revealing the character's name and HP. Maethor installs and speaks her joining lines and joins correctly, but the scroll that appears over her when I hover the mouse cursor over her is blank. When I click on her portrait and look at her info, the slots where her name should be is also blank.

I checked the .cre file. I opened the copy that installed in my override folder. Her .cre file (when I open it in DLTCEP) has the name in the appropriate places. The name also shows up in the appropriate places when I look at the .cre file in the override folder using NI. I've uninstalled and re-installed the NPC several times to no effect.

Here's the relevant section of my tp2...:

// This adds our CRE file
ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS ~override/TIMaeth.cre~ THEN BEGIN
COPY_EXISTING ~TIMaeth.cre~ ~override~
SAY NAME1 ~Maethor~
SAY NAME2 ~Maethor~
WRITE_SHORT 0x244 0 // doesn't change
WRITE_ASCII 0x246 ~%TIBlade%~ #8 // the internal name of your kit, surrounded by %
WRITE_BYTE 0x247 0x40 // doesn't change
WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~TIMaeth~ #8 //override script
WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~TIMaeth~ #32 //DV
WRITE_ASCII 0x2cc ~TIMaeth~ #8 //pre-joining dialogue file
WRITE_ASCII 0X34 ~TIMaethS~ #8 //small portrait
WRITE_ASCII 0x3c ~TIMaethM~ #8 //medium portrait
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~TIMarEPM~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~ARMOR~
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~shld01~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~SHIELD~
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~TIMarLSW~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~WEAPON1~ EQUIP
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~potn08~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~QITEM1~
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~bow04~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~INV1~
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~arow02~ #20 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~QUIVER1~
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~arow02~ #20 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~QUIVER2~
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~arow02~ #20 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~QUIVER3~
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~tiflask~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~INV2~
END
ELSE BEGIN // the ELSE clause is entirely optional
COPY ~TIMaeth/creatures/TIMaeth.cre~ ~override/TIMaeth.cre~ // Level 1 Maethor
SAY NAME1 ~Maethor~
SAY NAME2 ~Maethor~
WRITE_SHORT 0x244 0 // doesn't change
WRITE_ASCII 0x246 ~%TIBlade%~ #8 // the internal name of your kit, surrounded by %
WRITE_BYTE 0x247 0x40 // doesn't change
WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~TIMaeth~ #8 //override script
WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~TIMaeth~ #32 //DV
WRITE_ASCII 0x2cc ~TIMaeth~ #8 //pre-joining dialogue file
WRITE_ASCII 0X34 ~TIMaethS~ #8 //small portrait
WRITE_ASCII 0x3c ~TIMaethM~ #8 //medium portrait
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~TIMarEPM~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~ARMOR~
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~shld01~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~SHIELD~
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~TIMarLSW~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~WEAPON1~ EQUIP
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~potn08~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~QITEM1~
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~bow04~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~INV1~
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~arow02~ #20 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~QUIVER1~
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~arow02~ #20 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~QUIVER2~
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~arow02~ #20 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~QUIVER3~
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~tiflask~ #0 #0 #0 ~IDENTIFIED~ ~INV2~

SAY NAME1 ~Maethor~

Memory is wonky todays, but I believe this should actually be:

SAY NAME ~Maethor~ yeah, that's usually for item file, never mind.

So try that instead and see.

Hmm, which kind of game is this for ? As the BG2EE needs the weidu.exe to be v23600.

I install the NPC normally using weidu.exe. Here's the area .baf file info:

IF
Global("TIMaethExists","AR6900",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("TIMaethExists","AR6900",1)
CreateCreature("TIMaeth",[1074.2049],3)

END

Hmmm... Your question reminds me that there are other ways of getting the character in-game; I'll try spawning the NPC in-game using the CLUA console just to see what happens.

I'm currently doing a clean install of BGT to see if there's something wonky with the game install.

Archived