SR v4 (detailed list of changes - ongoing update)

Spells using different spell levels depending on caster type

Sigh, most of you seem to hold a grudge on both "same spells at different levels" and "same spell with slightly different effect"...which in theory leaves me with the most difficult options:

a) moving tons of spells around to make them always use the same spell level regardless of caster type

or

b) rename those spells (e.g. Contagion -> Cause Disease) and make them more different

or

c) a combination of a) and b)

I'll think about it, but I cannot promise anything because it's a damn complicated thing, especially when we talk about heavily used spells such as Stoneskin or True Seeing, because moving them really isn't a great option imo.

In the meanwhile, discussing the following spells should be a slightly less complicated thing. :D

6th Level Divine Spells

Aerial Servant

After looking more closely into its original AD&D version I now understand why this spell seemed inherently broken to me. AD&D Aerial Servant is supposed to be a 16HD air elemental with permamanet improved invisibility, thus hugely more powerful than a 12HD air elemental summoned by druids at this lvl, and still more powerful than a 16HD one. I kept it "under check" by tweaking its stats, but now I realize an alternative solution, making it work more like a Gate-like spell (aka a la 3E 6th lvl Planar Ally spell), and summon a 16HD Aerial Servant at full power. What do you think?

On a side note, we'll soon have to discuss the whole "Gate-like spells require bargain and/or mental combat" thing.

Animal Summoning III --> Animal Summoning VI

Nuff said.

Blade Barrier

I'd personally change it from evocation to conjuration for conceptual reasons. 3E tries to justify evocation school by saying "blades (are) shaped of pure force", but it really doesn't convince me. Especially within BG these looks like real blades, inflict slashing damage (I can imagine force spells dealing crushing damage, not slashing or piercing, but it may be just me), and even bypass magic resistance.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, and other than that the spell is fine imo.

Bolt of Glory

Leaving aside that within PnP this is a good-aligned spell granted by Torm and not usable by evil characters, I'm not sure of its appeal (it's only useful when facing demons, or powerful undead creatures). What do you think of it?

I'm tempted to "merge" its concept with Spiritual Wrath's one (a more generalist 6th lvl AD&D spell you may know because of IWD), making it more useful overall imo, and conceptually able to fit priests of any alignment.

Conjure Air/Earth/Fire Elemental

As discussed elsewhere, 16HD elementals (considered too powerful by many SR players) will be moved from here to 7th lvl.

Control Undead

I made a mistake adding it imo. Good-aligned clerics should not get it, and evil clerics can already achieve that via turn undead ability. I'll remove it.

Create Undead --> Animate Skeletal Warrior

Nuff said, one of the best summons ever. You may see a pattern here, clerics get all skeleton-based spells (skeletons, greater skeletons, skeletal warriors and death knights), while zombies, ghouls, mummies, and shadows are available only to Necromancers. It's not intented, but I think it's not a bad thing. :)

Dolorous Decay

After deciding to move Regeneration here for druids it striked me how much this spell actually seems its reverse spell (called Wither within AD&D). Should I try to expand this concept? For example it could cause as much damage as Regeneration heals (aka same dmg as always, but for a much longer time) allowing a save to halve the duration or damage taken (or even both, thus save for 1/4 of max potential if we also keep vanilla's slow effect).

Do you prefer the current stat drain solution or this more damage oriented one? I'd probably prefer the latter, mainly because both Contagion and Symbol of Weakness are more "stat drain oriented", but I admit that affecting stats is the main thing that differentiate disease from poison. what do you think?

False Dawn

On one hand I like what I managed to do with this spell, otoh I hate that it performs the same anti-undead and/or blinding role of Searing Orb. That being said, between the two spells I'd probably tweak the latter, rather than this one which now seems fine.

Fire Seeds

What about raising the number of fire seeds created? Even allowing up to 10 seeds (instead of the current 6) it could still balanced imo, even without nerfing each seed (though reducing the blast from 10 feet to 5-6 would not be bad, especially considering in theory they should be non-friendly). It would mean up to 40d6 dmg, but with a very small blast area, and each 4d6 seed requires a hit roll (druids are not kensais) and allows a save for half damage. I'm also thinking of making direct damage not allow a save as per PnP (aka direct hit can be dodged with AC, blast damage allow a reflex save), but it's not a big deal.

Harm

As the other cause wound spells, I'd like to make it not require a hit roll. Pratically it would end up working as a Disintegrate spell with no range, less possible targets (e.g. undead are not affected, Mordy is not destroyed, etc.) but much higher damage on successful save (is the current 75 too much?). My only doubt is that in theory this spell deserves its incredibly long casting time (1 round), which was not a problem when "pre-cast" but it will become a problem with the suggested solution because it needs to be cast in the middle of a fight...would casting time 6 make it too powerful?

Heal

Same as Harm, would casting time 6 make it too effective?

Physical Mirror

Here I have something BIG in mind, something which would finally make this spell more than just an expensive ProMissile. I suggest to replace it with a more canonic AD&D spell, Entropy Shield (renamed Divine Shell within IWD).

IWD made it work in a more generic way (AC and resistances), but we can make it work more like AD&D if we wish so. That means the spell would more or less grant:

1. 50% miss chance to direct attacks (as SR V3 Reflected Image or IR's Cloak of Mirroring)

2. 100% immunity to missiles (covering vanilla's PM's role)

3. 50% resistance to all forms of damage (to simulate PnP 50% chance to ignore AoE damaging spells)

Even without implementing 3. this spell would still be incredibly powerful imo, going from a modest buff in vanilla to a must have 6th lvl buff. What do you think?

Sol's Searing Orb

Well, currently this spell is pointless imo. It's a mix between Fire Seeds and False Dawn, but loses to both because for a MMM-like spell I'd pick Fire Seeds, and to fight undead creatures or cause mass blindness I'd pick False Dawn.

Leaving aside that I would at least make it not require a hit roll anymore (that makes it incredibly unappealing imo), I really don't know what to do to make it shine. Have you any idea?

Wondrous Recall

I think it's fine.

I agree with Salk. ( i don't need to post anymore, just have to wait for Salk :D )

We discussed Raise Dead some years(?) ago, and agreed that due to game reasons the game needed Raise Dead as it is - players would tend to reload instead. I'd rather have Raise dead as it is now and play my PnP games without Raise Dead (which I also do).

Wondrous Recall

Just a thought, but maybe it should allow to select what spell level to restore? Either 1 spell with max 5th level, or 2 spells with max 4th, etc.

Harm/Heal

1 round casting time could be fine, but I fear AI will not handle it, especially without guaranteed protection from disruption.

Spells using different spell levels depending on caster type

Sigh, most of you seem to hold a grudge on both "same spells at different levels" and "same spell with slightly different effect"...which in theory leaves me with the most difficult options:

a) moving tons of spells around to make them always use the same spell level regardless of caster type

or

b) rename those spells (e.g. Contagion -> Cause Disease) and make them more different

or

c) a combination of a) and b)

I'd point to b) mostly.

Aerial Servant

After looking more closely into its original AD&D version I now understand why this spell seemed inherently broken to me. AD&D Aerial Servant is supposed to be a 16HD air elemental with permamanet improved invisibility, thus hugely more powerful than a 12HD air elemental summoned by druids at this lvl, and still more powerful than a 16HD one. I kept it "under check" by tweaking its stats, but now I realize an alternative solution, making it work more like a Gate-like spell (aka a la 3E 6th lvl Planar Ally spell), and summon a 16HD Aerial Servant at full power. What do you think?

I'd like the alternate solution with a gate-like spell and a 16HD Aerial Servant with full power. Druids could use it.

Blade Barrier

I'd personally change it from evocation to conjuration for conceptual reasons. 3E tries to justify evocation school by saying "blades (are) shaped of pure force", but it really doesn't convince me. Especially within BG these looks like real blades, inflict slashing damage (I can imagine force spells dealing crushing damage, not slashing or piercing, but it may be just me), and even bypass magic resistance.

Conjuration is fine with me.

Bolt of Glory

Leaving aside that within PnP this is a good-aligned spell granted by Torm and not usable by evil characters, I'm not sure of its appeal (it's only useful when facing demons, or powerful undead creatures). What do you think of it?

I'm tempted to "merge" its concept with Spiritual Wrath's one (a more generalist 6th lvl AD&D spell you may know because of IWD), making it more useful overall imo, and conceptually able to fit priests of any alignment.

Merging it sounds good, leaving Torm with his spell. Makes sense indeed.

Control Undead

I made a mistake adding it imo. Good-aligned clerics should not get it, and evil clerics can already achieve that via turn undead ability. I'll remove it.

Agree, I hope you can use the icon created anyway...

Dolorous Decay

After deciding to move Regeneration here for druids it striked me how much this spell actually seems its reverse spell (called Wither within AD&D). Should I try to expand this concept? For example it could cause as much damage as Regeneration heals (aka same dmg as always, but for a much longer time) allowing a save to halve the duration or damage taken (or even both, thus save for 1/4 of max potential if we also keep vanilla's slow effect).

Do you prefer the current stat drain solution or this more damage oriented one? I'd probably prefer the latter, mainly because both Contagion and Symbol of Weakness are more "stat drain oriented", but I admit that affecting stats is the main thing that differentiate disease from poison. what do you think?

Wouldn't that make this spell an uber mage destroyer spell? I'm reluctant.

False Dawn

On one hand I like what I managed to do with this spell, otoh I hate that it performs the same anti-undead and/or blinding role of Searing Orb. That being said, between the two spells I'd probably tweak the latter, rather than this one which now seems fine.

False Dawn is good as it is now.

Fire Seeds

What about raising the number of fire seeds created? Even allowing up to 10 seeds (instead of the current 6) it could still balanced imo, even without nerfing each seed (though reducing the blast from 10 feet to 5-6 would not be bad, especially considering in theory they should be non-friendly). It would mean up to 40d6 dmg, but with a very small blast area, and each 4d6 seed requires a hit roll (druids are not kensais) and allows a save for half damage. I'm also thinking of making direct damage not allow a save as per PnP (aka direct hit can be dodged with AC, blast damage allow a reflex save), but it's not a big deal.

Great idea boosting this spell.

Harm

As the other cause wound spells, I'd like to make it not require a hit roll. Pratically it would end up working as a Disintegrate spell with no range, less possible targets (e.g. undead are not affected, Mordy is not destroyed, etc.) but much higher damage on successful save (is the current 75 too much?). My only doubt is that in theory this spell deserves its incredibly long casting time (1 round), which was not a problem when "pre-cast" but it will become a problem with the suggested solution because it needs to be cast in the middle of a fight...would casting time 6 make it too powerful?

Hmmm removing the on hit and reducing the casting time would indeed ´make use of it. I'll have to see it in game to decide wether it is too much. SCS AI also use it AFAIR.

Physical Mirror

Here I have something BIG in mind, something which would finally make this spell more than just an expensive ProMissile. I suggest to replace it with a more canonic AD&D spell, Entropy Shield (renamed Divine Shell within IWD).

IWD made it work in a more generic way (AC and resistances), but we can make it work more like AD&D if we wish so. That means the spell would more or less grant:

1. 50% miss chance to direct attacks (as SR V3 Reflected Image or IR's Cloak of Mirroring)

2. 100% immunity to missiles (covering vanilla's PM's role)

3. 50% resistance to all forms of damage (to simulate PnP 50% chance to ignore AoE damaging spells)

Even without implementing 3. this spell would still be incredibly powerful imo, going from a modest buff in vanilla to a must have 6th lvl buff. What do you think?

Entropy Shield I remember as a good spell. I'd say I'm intrigued and think you should go with all options.

Sol's Searing Orb

Well, currently this spell is pointless imo. It's a mix between Fire Seeds and False Dawn, but loses to both because for a MMM-like spell I'd pick Fire Seeds, and to fight undead creatures or cause mass blindness I'd pick False Dawn.

Leaving aside that I would at least make it not require a hit roll anymore (that makes it incredibly unappealing imo), I really don't know what to do to make it shine. Have you any idea?

Make it work better against Drow/creatures from the Underdark. Add a bit of magical damage?

Aerial Servant

AD&D Aerial Servant is supposed to be a 16HD air elemental with permamanet improved invisibility, thus hugely more powerful than a 12HD air elemental summoned by druids at this lvl, and still more powerful than a 16HD one.

If it helps, here's aTweaks' version of the Aerial Servant.

Edited by aVENGER_(RR)

Aerial Servant

If it helps, here's aTweaks' version of the Aerial Servant.

Thanks, but our versions already are pretty much identical (even within SR V3). :)

I'd like the alternate solution with a gate-like spell and a 16HD Aerial Servant with full power. Druids could use it.
Both AD&D Aerial Servant and 3E Planar Ally are cleric only, and I like that. Druids already get Conjure Elementals (3 o 4 different summons) and Animal Summoning VI, they don't need more summons imo.

Dolorous Decay

Wouldn't that make this spell an uber mage destroyer spell? I'm reluctant.
Well, if SCS makes use of Elixirs of Health any disease spell is kinda easy to counter even after failing the save, else the only thing making this spell stand out is that immunity to disease is very rare, whereas ProElement spells are common, especially within SCS. If it wasn't for that being hit by a 20d6 Chain Lightning would be pretty much the same (with the latter than causing 10d6 to all other opponents!).

If you mean that on a successful save the damage dealt should not be too much, I agree with you. My above suggested "save for half" is really OP (I don't know why I didn't noticed it). On a succesfull save damage dealt should probably be no more than 30 points.

So, a real alternative seems to be more like keeping vanilla's 1 turn duration, and simply replace "save to negate" with "save for half" (aka damage and halved movement rate for 5 rounds). Else I guess the spell will remain as it is in V3.

Btw, I have to post my suggested new 6th lvl spells, because DD may have to compete with one new spell, and that may be the deciding factor to determine which "role" we want this spell to fill (e.g. save or die, part damaging & part disabling, etc.).

Sol's Searing Orb

Make it work better against Drow/creatures from the Underdark.
That would actually apply to all light based spells and abilities, not to mention normal daylight (e.g. Viccy should suffer a penalty in outdoors areas during the day). By the way, without external adjustments we don't have a "drow" entry for race. :(

Add a bit of magical damage?
Magic damage is a type of damage which really doesn't suit druids at all, in fact, no druid spell uses it.

Afaik, the only "role" this spell coud fit is a damaging one, and if we make it not require a hit roll it will start to fill that role well. It deals the same damage as Chain Lightning on 1st target, though with a slightly worse dmg type, but its secondary effect (blindness) is not as good as CL's one imo. Comparing it with CL I'd say two things:

1) this spell was still utterly pathetic within V3

2) without "hit roll" SSO would be almost fine if it wasn't for False Dawn partially overlapping with it

Wondrous Recall

Just a thought, but maybe it should allow to select what spell level to restore? Either 1 spell with max 5th level, or 2 spells with max 4th, etc.
Makes sense (you know you'll have to create 5 new bams do you?), but it has to be at least 2 spells of 5th lvl imo. I'd never trade a 6th lvl spell slot for a single 5th lvl one, even if at 5th lvl I have cool spells such as Stoneskin and True Seeing. Edited by Demivrgvs

Blade Barrier

I'd welcome the change from evocation to conjuration.

Bolt of Glory

I quote myself here:

m interested in the idea of merging it with Bolt of Glory though. But how do you plan to merge them? Spiritual Wrath is originally a save or half spell, while Bolt of Glory grants no save (which I like much). Spiritual Wrath's damage scales with the number of priests casting it (per PnP), but you can not realize that within BG, while Bolt of Glory does not scale in any particular way. SW does AoE damage (range scales with nuber of casters too), while BoG does single target damage based on creature type. Conceptionally they are really different. Did I mentioned that I don't like what IWD did to this spell? :p Personally it doesn't bother me much, that Bolt of Glory is originally a Torm only spell. The whole BG divine system is a big "melting pot" anyway...

Conjure Air/Earth/Fire Elemental

Fine with me.

Control Undead

No offense meant, but I hardly ever used it anyway.

Create Undead --> Animate Skeletal Warrior

You may see a pattern here, clerics get all skeleton-based spells (skeletons, greater skeletons, skeletal warriors and death knights), while zombies, ghouls, mummies, and shadows are available only to Necromancers. It's not intented, but I think it's not a bad thing.

Now that you say it... :p I think it is a good thing to have different summons from class to class. :)

Dolorous Decay

I like your suggestion to make it a sort of reverse spell of Regeneration.

False Dawn

Doesn't need any changes imo.

Fire Seeds

Good idea imo.

Harm

A casting time of 6 could be balanced (since it has no range), but it would need ingame testing. I agree that casting time of 1 round is just to much with your suggested solution.

Heal

Even if it is the reverse spell of Harm I'd go for a casting time of 1 round.

Physical Mirror --> Entropy Shield

You surprised me positively here. So much help/love for the in my eyes compared to mages underpowered cleric class (especially because interupted so easily) makes me blush. I'd go for all 3 features. The third option could be removed if actual ingame testing proves it to be overpowered.

Sol's Searing Orb

I'd suggest ungoing fire damage.

Wondrous Recall

Fine imo.

Edited by Lawlight

Bolt of Glory

I'm interested in the idea of merging it with Bolt of Glory though. But how do you plan to merge them? Spiritual Wrath is originally a save or half spell, while Bolt of Glory grants no save (which I like much). Spiritual Wrath's damage scales with the number of priests casting it (per PnP), but you can not realize that within BG, while Bolt of Glory does not scale in any particular way. SW does AoE damage (range scales with nuber of casters too), while BoG does single target damage based on creature type. Conceptionally they are really different. Did I mentioned that I don't like what IWD did to this spell? :p Personally it doesn't bother me much, that Bolt of Glory is originally a Torm only spell. The whole BG divine system is a big "melting pot" anyway...
Well, I didn't have anything incredibly strange in mind. Something like making BoG cast a bolt of "divine energy" instead of "positive energy" and thus making it effective against almost any target instead of just demons and undead. It's really hard to balance a high lvl "no save" spell, but we may as well keep that feature.

Control Undead

No offense meant, but I hardly ever used it anyway.
No offense taken :) but trust me, this spell can actually prove itself very powerful in the right circumstances. I've heard of players taking control of a lich with it! Anyway, only necromancers "need" this spell.

Harm

A casting time of 6 could be balanced (since it has no range), but it would need ingame testing. I agree that casting time of 1 round is just to much with your suggested solution.
Balancing Cause Wounds spells is a pain, and this is no different.

Heal

Even if it is the reverse spell of Harm I'd go for a casting time of 1 round.
Whatever we decide for Harm should apply to heal too imo.

Physical Mirror --> Entropy Shield

You surprised me positively here.
Ahaha, thanks pal. :D

Sol's Searing Orb

I'd suggest ungoing fire damage.
Well, judging by its name I think this spell should be a sort of Improved Searing Light, but it's also a sort of Improved Sunscorch! :rolleyes: Balance wise once removed the "hit roll" it would be enough to simply give it back its increased dmg against undead, and keep its blindness effect. The only problem I have is that such spell would indeed be a copy of Sunscorch, and overlap too much with False Dawn.

So, assuming we agree that the above direction is not a good one I guess we should change its sphere from 'Sun' (which is what suggest making it an anti-undead, blindness spell) to 'Elemental (Fire)', rename it just 'Searing Orb', and make it a sort of druid's version of Bolt of Glory. In that case yes, an ongoing fire dmg secondary effect could be fine. The more I think about it the more I convince myself that as a sun-related spell Searing Orb has no future as long as False Dawn is there too.

Edited by Demivrgvs
So, assuming we agree that the above direction is not a good one I guess we should change its sphere from 'Sun' (which is what suggest making it an anti-undead, blindness spell) to 'Elemental (Fire)', rename it just 'Searing Orb', and make it a sort of druid's version of Bolt of Glory. In that case yes, an ongoing fire dmg secondary effect could be fine. The more I think about it the more I convince myself that as a sun-related spell Searing Orb has no future as long as False Dawn is there too.
I could live with this :)

Bolt of Glory

I'd enjoy it being the ultimate single target anti-undead and anti-demon spell. You could make it only affect demons and undead, perhaps like a Finger of Death that deals more divine damage on save to them and ignores magic resistance.

Edited by Kalindor
I could live with this :)

Me too.

7th Level Divine Spells

I wrote a HUGE post for these spells and then I lost it, so you'll get the short version (hopefully still somewhat exhaustive).

Creeping Doom

More or less fine, but to make it both more unique and more closer to PnP I'd add a poison effect.

Earthquake

Would you prefer it to last a single round? Else I'll make this spell really affect a selected area, instead of affecting the creatures within the area at the time the spell is cast. Right now creatures entering the area afetr the 1st round are not affected, and those leaving the area are still affected.

Other than that, what do you think of its current version?

Finger of Death

I guess it's fine.

Fire Storm

I only need some feedback on its damage output.

Greater Restoration

It should be fine.

Holy/Unholy Word

Two things to discuss here.

1) Players asked to add a save becuase the paralyzing effect is OP when used by high lvl characters against low lvl ones (something relatively common with SCS). Instead of adding a save, what about replacing 'hold' with 'slow'?

2) Same discussion we had for Holy Smite and Unholy Blight. If we want to merge them as NWN did, the name used there, Word of Faith, should be fine.

Nature's Beauty

I like what I did mixing in PnP Nature's Charm and the original blindness effect isn't really missed considering Sunray already offer a slightly damaging mass blindness spell.

Regeneration

The spell itself seems fine. As discussed elsewhere, it might be moved to 6th lvl for druids.

Resurrection

This one is fine. One more reason to add a small penalty to Raise Dead is that it currently makes this 7th lvl version almost pointless imo.

Shield of the Archons

I wrote a poem here. :(

Short version: following PnP I suggest to make it absorb an infinite amount of spells, but lasts only 1 turn. PnP casting time is 1, and I'm fine with it. Would that finally make this an appealing 7th lvl spell for clerics?

Evil priests should get Shield of the Tanar'ri instead, but the two spells are identical. Should just rename this spell Divine Shield, or something like that?

Sphere of Chaos

It's not very appropriate for clerics imo, but priests within AD&D clerics do had access to a chaos sphere (3E name for domains) with spells such as Miscast Magic and Confusion (the silly 7th lvl spell SoC replaces), and most importantly SCS uses it when SR is detected, thus I will keep this spell.

Summon Death Knight

As previously mentioned, this should be evil-only. Good and neutral priests may get Sunray back instead (which is good in case some mod AI uses it assuming vanilla cleric's spellbook).

Summon Shambling Mound

I'll make it summon a couple of 11-12HD shamblers (a la IWD/PnP), instead of the current 16HD greater version. ASVII will be the mass summon spell, Conjure Greater Elemental the single powerful summon, and this spell will offer the middle solution. Deal?

Sunray

It should be fine, isn't it? Even when used against non-undead is still decent imo.

Symbol of Death

Symbol of Weakness could probably replace this spell now instead of Symbol of Fear.

Symbol of Stunning

It should be fine.

Symbol of Weakness (vanilla's Symbol of Fear)

Symbol of Fear will be moved to 6th lvl as per PnP.

Summon Shambling Mound

I'll make it summon a couple of 11-12HD shamblers (a la IWD/PnP), instead of the current 16HD greater version.

Just a small heads up, aTweaks' Shambling Mounds will also use 11 HD and thereby match their PnP counterparts more closely than the shamblers provided by RR currently do.

For consistency, aTweaks will also detect and adjust Shambling Mounds from other mods (including RR).