More dual class options

Jlad

The Barbarian is actually a Fighter kit (even though the Character Creation part of the game pretends it's a separate class), and therefore can be modded to be able to Dual-Class to Mage, just as any type of Fighter can. But Monks, Sorcerers, Paladins, and Bards absolutely cannot be combined with any other class, in any way. It's hardcoded into the game engine, and in order to change that, one would have to decompile BALDUR.EXE and tinker with the Assembly code. You can't even do class combinations like Ranger->Mage or Fighter/Cleric/Thief. Long story short, if a class combination is not one of the already-existing, legal options, it simply cannot be done, by any means.

Rule of thumb for "big & obvious" wishes like this: If it were possible, somebody would have done it by now. Sorry.

You can't even do class combinations like Ranger->Mage
Can't you by patching dualclas.2da (changing the RANGER/MAGE column flags from zero to 1)?
Yes, but when you actually execute that dual... as the game doesn't have that multi-class, the game will crash. Same goes for the Fighter-ranger combo, Ranger-druid etc.

I suspect it has to do with the GUI for one thing, but I'll bet there other things too.

Rule of thumb for "big & obvious" wishes like this: If it were possible, somebody would have done it by now. Sorry.

What an unpleasant reply. Rules of thumb aren't always sound. What's "Big & Obvious" to a know-it-all like you may not be so for others, and especially not for new members.

What an unpleasant reply. Rules of thumb aren't always sound. What's "Big & Obvious" to a know-it-all like you may not be so for others, and especially not for new members.

Except SixofSpades also included a lot of information for your benefit, so why get all defensive?

The monk's fists improvement with level and the sorcerer's spell selection process are hardcoded and afaik no one has reproduced them for another class or kit - thus, you can't combine sorcerer and monk with anything, let alone with each other.

On the other hand a druid/mage isn't very hard to "fake" - you can start with a cleric mage, remove the "cleric only" spells like blade barrier, add the "druid only" spells, shapeshifting and druid specific HLAs and restrict them to non metal armor/weapons.

the fist change for monks should be trivial to add to other classes. For some wierd reason they hardcoded this mess and didn't just use clab files, but that doesn't mean you can't do the same — just swap the default fist with something else (mfistX in the case of monks). Well, unless they hardcoded fists themselves too in which case you could lose the new ones on certain occasions.

With gemrb you can customise this boni and also change any spellcaster to use sorcerer-like spellbooks (though this currently applies to everyone of that class). :)

Except SixofSpades also included a lot of information for your benefit, so why get all defensive?
SixofSpades didn't do anything for my benefit. I've no interest in what he he had to say. Moreover, other posters challenged his answer. Why get 'defensive'? Because his answer was insulting! I felt insulted on behalf of the OP. I might have asked a similarly 'stupid' question. Why should SixofSpades be patronising - especially to a new member? And why do you fail to see that what he did was nasty? Are you so inclined yourself? Do you insult new members when they post?

Because his answer was insulting! ...

Why should SixofSpades be patronising ...

[W]hat he did was nasty

I feel a bit of perspective on things could be useful. Maybe not paint an all-demonic view on a post you feel is less-than-helpful. It's the Internet - everyone is not out to get you.

Less personal attacks and more humility would serve this thread good. And that's not directed to any one person.

SixofSpades didn't do anything for my benefit. I've no interest in what he he had to say. Moreover, other posters challenged his answer. Why get 'defensive'? Because his answer was insulting! I felt insulted on behalf of the OP. I might have asked a similarly 'stupid' question. Why should SixofSpades be patronising - especially to a new member? And why do you fail to see that what he did was nasty? Are you so inclined yourself? Do you insult new members when they post?

Well to be honest, I hadn't noticed you weren't the OP, so I'm sorry. In any case, I don't see his answer was insulting, nasty, nor did he refer to the question as "stupid". And as I said before, he also tried to answer the OP with actual useful information.

Archived