[help needed] EET start screen

K4thos

Is it possible to do something that Beamdog has done for BGIEE/SoD? Switching the game and screen by clicking on a big icon on the right.

I understand that may be too difficult to implement.

You mean the menu design? It's easier to do than what I'm doing right now since that code already exists (just copy it over) and I'm coding new stuff blindly :D

I must say I am not a big fan of the initial muck up, and would much prefer something more in line with the current SoD implementation. I can see the advantage in having everything on one screen, but I think a lot of style and immersion is lost to functionality in this case.

I must say I am not a big fan of the initial muck up, and would much prefer something more in line with the current SoD implementation. I can see the advantage in having everything on one screen, but I think a lot of style and immersion is lost to functionality in this case.

this is not a mockup but fully functional menu (screen is taken from the game).

The end result with a table that supports unlimited amount of campaigns (scrollbar added automatically on the right side of the page if needed just like in spellbook menu) and a mix of Sam's and Ulb's icons can be viewed in the updated first post. Thanks all for contribution. Of course this is not the end of the topic and there are still 2 minor tasks left on the list if someone would like to work on the description part (I've just took marketing quotes, not sure if that's how campaigns should be described) or on improving the general look of the screen (hint: the book has wrong shadow below it - it's leftover from the old art). But these 2 are not crucial, so I'm moving into the next task in preparation for 1.0 release.

We are also open for feedback and criticism so leave a message if you don't like this design at all like janoha and Etamin.

@K4thos: Can you do it then? I personally like it more than existing BG2 or BGT, really adds some freshness. And making it with lighter colors than SoD will help too.

sorry, I don't really have time to work on stuff unrelated to EET. But it's just a matter of copying code from SoD UI.MENU to BG2:EE and testing it in game, so read Dee's tutorial and you will be able to do it yourself. LUA knowledge is not really necessary.

While you are at it - is there a possibilty for a function like in SoD or IWDEE where you can just continue a game from your last save instead of all the clicking and chosing of games (e.g. when you are doing a long playthrough and just want to continue from latest `save)?

An argument for this is that you may freely wander between the game parts included into EET and not aware where your current game may be stored (You went from BG1 to an IWD area etc - where do you start the game?)

I still hope this start screen will be changed in the future. For me EET is not a list of campaigns to choose from, but full BG saga in one game. There should be one, main, distinguished button starting it and rest of them unobtrusively placed somewhere else.

While you are at it - is there a possibilty for a function like in SoD or IWDEE where you can just continue a game from your last save instead of all the clicking and chosing of games (e.g. when you are doing a long playthrough and just want to continue from latest `save)?

yes, it's already a part of deafult BG2:EE GUI in patch 2.0.

An argument for this is that you may freely wander between the game parts included into EET and not aware where your current game may be stored (You went from BG1 to an IWD area etc - where do you start the game?)

while it's possible to assign different save folders for each campaign I don't think it's a good idea. Right now all BG campaigns uses the exact same directory in EET (save). Only Black Pits have different directories for saves since they are completely unrelated to bhaalspawn saga. IWD campaigns will also use different folder if you start the game there but NOT if you visit them as part of the bhaalspawn journey.

In other words the start screen is just for starting the new game. By default it doesn't even shows up after starting the game just like in SoD (the engine remembers the last campaign selected so it moves right into single player / multi player screen a screen with single player / multi player / continue / options selection. In order to go to startscreen you need to click on the "Back" button that is also there)

Well, unfortunately I can only rarely read forums and post, and expect even that time to shrink very soon :(

But be ready that people won't like a simple list of campaigns. People are too fastidious these days.

I still hope this start screen will be changed in the future. For me EET is not a list of campaigns to choose from, but full BG saga in one game. There should be one, main, distinguished button starting it and rest of them unobtrusively placed somewhere else.

Well yes, the in game menu could be takes up a branch ... so you would have all the above under the start a "new game" window, while the load save game would be in the first window under no particular campaign, as it's actually the same game entirely.

So it would look like this:

18zdl.jpg

yes, it's already a part of deafult BG2:EE GUI in patch 2.0.

while it's possible to assign different save folders for each campaign I don't think it's a good idea. Right now all BG campaigns uses the exact same directory in EET (save). Only Black Pits have different directories for saves since they are completely unrelated to bhaalspawn saga. IWD campaigns will also use different folder if you start the game there but NOT if you visit them as part of the bhaalspawn journey.

In other words the start screen is just for starting the new game. By default it doesn't even shows up after starting the game just like in SoD (the engine remembers the last campaign selected so it moves right into single player / multi player screen. In order to go to startscreen you need to click on the "Back" button)

Good news - another big plus for EET!

If this main screen will be seen only once, then it's less important how it looks :). By the way, while we are talking about UI - as far as i know you use Pecca BG2:EE GUI in BG1:EE mod, bit he didn't adjust his mod for patch 2.0. Does it mean it's broken in-game? What if he wont fix it soon?

If this main screen will be seen only once, then it's less important how it looks :). By the way, while we are talking about UI - as far as i know you use Pecca BG2:EE GUI in BG1:EE mod, bit he didn't adjust his mod for patch 2.0. Does it mean it's broken in-game? What if he wont fix it soon?

EET uses MOS art from that mod, nothing else, so it doesn't need any updating.

Archived