Solaufein's Rescue - jastey's Solaufein NPC mod for BGII (Kerzenburgforum)

If it's a free portrait that can be used without copyright issues you could ask me whether to include it into the original mod.

If it's a copyrighted portrait you do not have permission for, then making a publicly accessible fork of the Solaufein mod repo and adding this portrait is not an option I'm afraid.

You can change the mod to use your portrait, but then just copying it like you said would be the easiest option.

To include a third install option into the mod, it's not so easy since the mod so far only has one option. Adding another would mean making the portrait components SUBCOMPONENTs so the player can chose one. best you look into any NPC mod that offers several install choices, for example my Brandock mod )would be the first one that comes to my mind) to see how it's done.

For these kind of portrait overrides, I'd suggest to place the portrait to Documents/(game folder)/override even. That hides it from WeiDU and makes it install order agnostic. (Needless to say, don't use this trick with resources a mod installation would actually edit during install, portraits and sounds are fine only).

See what IESDP calls home:/override. This one is untouched by WeiDU mods but NearInfinity and the game will load the files from it and files kept there override the install folder's override. I'm only keeping NPC portraits and a selected few animation palettes in it myself (a lousy remix of skellytz' BG1 palette restorations) which are explicitly never touched by any mods currently.

In that Documents/(game folder)/override created manually, should i put just one "L size" portrait (210 Horizontal pixels per 330 Vertical) or should i also include the set of 2 specific EE portraits (the S and M size portraits for EE ; as seen in many mods adding portaits) ?

Would it make any difference to have one portrait or a set of 3 ?

Edited by Mordekaie
18 minutes ago, Graion Dilach said:

but NPC portrait filenames are still stored in the ending 2DA and the CRE resource and you don't want to override those in home/override.

I don't get that last recommandation... It means that i can't put every portrait with a NPC name (like Coran, Solaufein, Thruston  from Candlekeep, Imoen, winthrop...) in the home/overrride folder.

I think i get it : the  NPC name is different from the corresponding  NPC portrait filename. So i can copy a portrait in the override folder as long the filename of that added portrait is just the name of an NPC but not the filename of a portrait from the game...

I thought I was straightforward: You must not copy CREs and 2DAs to home/override. You can check those files in NI to look up the portrait filenames they use and then copy your own portraits named as such to home/override. I actually have NPC portraits overridden there (like syntia13's Branwen or Imoen portraits).

Edited by Graion Dilach
Guest Player
On 8/2/2022 at 2:21 PM, jastey said:

Ah, interesting. I wasn't aware the EE added all these folders.

I have an italian translation for your mod. Would you be interested in implementing it?

I am very interested in translations for my mods, but I am reluctant to just integrate translations from people I have never worked with - no offence meant. Also, the translation should be proofread at least once by another native speaker and be in the correct format so it can be included into the moc lackage without me having to format any texts or files.

Guest Player
10 minutes ago, jastey said:

I am very interested in translations for my mods, but I am reluctant to just integrate translations from people I have never worked with - no offence meant. Also, the translation should be proofread at least once by another native speaker and be in the correct format so it can be included into the moc lackage without me having to format any texts or files.

No problem. I am using it in my installation, unfortunately others will not be able to use it

I didn't say no. I just need a different pair of eyes to tell me it's good quality (again: no offence meant, just bad experience in the past). If you don't have the ressources to find one I'll take the translation as-is and will search for a proofreader myself.

Guest Player
2 hours ago, jastey said:

I'm sorry, but I really don't know anyone willing to proofread the mod for me. Keep in mind that the bulk of the work was done years ago by a friend of mine, who around 2015 did the translation of version 1. Since then it never came out of our hd. It seemed to me a shame not to make it available, so I've picked the project up, correcting the updated parts and adding the new ones from version 3.2.
The files are there:

https://github.com/Baldurian111/Translations/blob/main/Solaufein's Rescue - Italian Translation.zip

Choose freely what you want to do with them. If you decide to integrate it, I only ask you to credit the first translator (Alessandro Rampini). This is enough, it's not necessary for me to be accredited