OPCODE#188 - Spell Effect: Aura Cleansing

Hey,

this is attempt to clarify some things related to https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/opcodes/bgee.htm#op188

Current description:

#188 (0xBC) Spell Effect: Aura Cleansing Variants: PST
Parameter #1: Irrelevant
Parameter #2: Stat Value
Description:
Set the 'Stat Value' field to any non-zero value if you want no time needed between spells.

Old update by aVENGER: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/22847-bg2tob-a-few-opcode-description-updates

Parameter #2: Constant

Description:

Set the 'Constant' field to 1 if you want no time needed between spells.

Near Infinity description:

image.png.de2271d15d0d88d3b8ca1ce10efb1183.png

My own testing observation:

- set  "Cleanse auta" to Yes/1 works as indeed:  no waiting time between casting spells
- in addition, I've set "Dispel/Resistance" to "Not dispel/Bypass resistance" for item

It's the first time I'm dealing with this and it is confusing. I thing that opcode description need to be updated. What to you think?

Well, it seems for me that the effect has one and only one purpose: remove delay between casting spells. So the description should reflect that. Also, the 'how to enable' section should be much more clear: 0 to disable, 1 to enable, without all of this confusing 'any non-zero to enable ...' intricacies of the engine.

8 minutes ago, AL|EN said:

without all of this confusing 'any non-zero to enable ...' intricacies of the engine.

Has anyone actually tried a other non-zero value than 1 ? As in, what happens if you weidu add in say with 7 as the value ? It could be different than 1... yes, Near Infinity could be non optimized too. As in, we can't set it to other than 0 or 1. Which is why I said use weidu...

Sorry for somewhat derailing the topic but I have questions about this op code and its history.

I am almost certain that you could at some point in the past use this op code to do the following:

- turn the 'aura cleansing' feedback message on and off (while keeping the effect active)

- set a specific number of spells per round e.g.: setting two spells per round would allow the character to cast two spells without delay per round but no more than that.

Were these ToBEx features or do I simply have a completely false set of memories or what else has changed?

Edited by Ulb
17 minutes ago, Sam. said:

I'm not seeing it mentioned in ToBEx, but I just did a quick search.

Well, I guess if none of you guys are aware of those 'lost features' it must be my mind making stuff up... I wish my mind would make up cooler stuff while it's at it but what can you do...

21 minutes ago, Ulb said:

set a specific number of spells per round e.g.: setting two spells per round would allow the character to cast two spells without delay per round but no more than that.

Well, according to bug reports for "Tower of Deception - Warblade of Twilight" sword, this effect never worked. I have experiment with opcode#188 and the only effect which I as able to get was "remove delay between casting spells" aka permanent Improved Alacrity.

If you have any examples how to achieve working "set specific number of spells per round" please share but I don't see how this opcode could do this if the only valid parameter has disable/enable switch.

1 hour ago, AL|EN said:

Well, it seems for me that the effect has one and only one purpose: remove delay between casting spells. So the description should reflect that. Also, the 'how to enable' section should be much more clear: 0 to disable, 1 to enable, without all of this confusing 'any non-zero to enable ...' intricacies of the engine.

Why leave out known information?

I've never seen any behavior beyond the enable/disable delay, but my experience with this is only  the EE's.

You can alter the feedback by the string in DIALOG.TLK or the reference in ENGINEST.2DA.

I don't get the confusion either. There is one other thing, which might be just a gemrb implementation detail, but perhaps this opcode also affects potions, wands and other quick item abilities, since they're all spells and effects under the hood.

On 5/23/2020 at 2:50 AM, AL|EN said:

If you have any examples how to achieve working "set specific number of spells per round" please share but I don't see how this opcode could do this if the only valid parameter has disable/enable switch.

I have the vaguest of recollections of seeing something like that in NI, but it might have just been a weird way to describe the effect. 

What you could do: set a repeating .EFF (opcode 272) equipping effect on the item, applying an .EFF every three seconds.  Have the .EFF use opcode 188 with zero duration to cleanse your aura.

However, I can't tell if a zero-duration op188 effect will actually cleanse your aura; I've had some trouble with this in my psionics mod.  But it would be preferable, since a  1-second duration with the Robe of Vecna would allow you to cast multiple spells within that 1 second.

Maybe @kjeron knows whether it works with timing mode 0 and duration = 0...?

Also note, I only recommend using opcode 272 on the latest EE patch.

Edited by subtledoctor

The actual cleansing is triggered upon attempting to cast another spell, not when the opcode is applied. Therefore, for your aura to be cleansed with a duration of 0, you have to cast another spell within the span of that 0 duration (not possible or at least virtually impossible). Even a duration of 1 doesn't really work, because it means you have to do your next action within 1 second or your aura will not be cleansed and you'll have to wait the full round. It would be nice if it cleansed at the end of an action as opposed to before the start of a new one.

VERY interesting! So I guess you would really need to use 6 seconds (and probably as a casting feature, to measure from the beginning of the initial spell) to make sure you can cast at any point before the next round starts.  Less that would make a weird window in which you cannot cast?  Good to know.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:04 PM, Bartimaeus said:

It would be nice if it cleansed at the end of an action as opposed to before the start of a new one.

Well, depending on the use case, you cold use header target 7, it more or less works that way.  Even works on item abilities now, as of EE v2.5!  (But it carries other consequences, like making the spell unaffected by casting failure, I think. Or maybe it was making the spell unaffected by casting speed modification.)

For me however, to make psionics operate with aura cleansing while coexisting with wizard spells that operate the usual way, maybe need to have each psi power cast a subspell that cleanses aura for 6 seconds, and give every arcane spell a cf/global effect that cancels the subspell.

Edited by subtledoctor