Wheels of Prophecy v8.5 Now Available

@Christian, @Avallach: IIRC, I encountered a similar issue many years ago. The problem is that some variables are supposed to be set upon Melissan's death script firing, but that somehow proved rather unreliable. Not sure this was exactly the case, but after allying with Balthazar and dispatching Melissan, try:

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("DMWWGroveRevealed","GLOBAL",1)

Then the PP should let you travel back to the Stone Heads and everything should proceed regularly from there (you'll know it worked if Balthazar and a horde of Demons appear there).

Edited by Isewein
On 5/15/2023 at 12:27 PM, paladin84 said:

Recently, p_zombie from arcanecoast.ru fixed the mod, so it is playable with Ascension (should be playable without it but not tested). We are not sure that all the possible branches are fixed, so didn't send pull request to the original repo yet. Thus, if someone can install the version of Wheels from my branch (https://github.com/abalabokhin/WheelsOfProphecy) and test it, this will help a lot.

Hey there! Just now noticing this.

I finished my EET playthrough today. Needless to say, finishing was tough because of having to figure out how to navigate the bugs that occur with WoP and Ascension. Do you have further insight on whether your fix indeed works? When I plan the next playthrough, I would like to include Wheels again, but not if it remains in its current state.

I'll be honest: the complexity of the bugs that occur through the interactions between EE, modern Ascension, and Wheels are nasty enough that I would not myself include Wheels in a playthrough. I can't speak to the various fixes that others have offered, though I very much appreciate them doing them. (Frankly, if you ever find yourself lamenting how linear modern CRPGs often are, and how little one area relates to another, look at Wheels as a cautionary tale: it is a very hard thing to do without bugs.)

I really want to find time to do a rewrite, and a while ago I did 60% of it, but a combination of RL and other projects keep pushing it back.

10 hours ago, Granger77 said:

Do you have further insight on whether your fix indeed works? When I plan the next playthrough, I would like to include Wheels again, but not if it remains in its current state.

No updates from my side. I still believe the fix should work (p_zombie was able to finish ToB with fixed version of WoP and Ascension installed without using console), but I didn't test it by myself yet yet and I am not sure it works for all the possible branches.

I just finished a playthrough with WoP, Ascension and The Longer Road. I experienced a lot of bugs :

- After killing Sendai, I killed Abazigal and got the "scene with Melissan and Balthazar duplicating in Abazigal lair" bug. I fought Melissan but she was unkillable (and the Solar talk didn't trigger). I reloaded and decided to enter the monastery before killing Abazigal.

- After killing Melissan, siding with Balthazar and killing Abazigal, I couldn't access the grove. I used the console lines provided here to tweak the variables and summon the choice talk when leaving pocket plane.

- I had to use the console again to tweak variables in order to acces the throne of Bhaal.

- After the fight with Bodhi, I didn't got any talk and couldn't access the three pools. I reloaded and reinstalled WoP with the version linked by paladin84 (I made a copy of the game folder since it felt very risky). It worked well and I could finish the game. Some dialogue choice with Demogorgon claiming Irenicus caused a loop, summoning a new Demogorgon each time (scary !), but at least one dialogue option worked. Also, after the reinstall, the powerful ring I looted from Melissan disappeared.

The mod obviously deserve a fixed version, the idea being very cool, but I feel the current version should acknowledge more clearly how unstable it is. I was not aware at all of the potential troubles when I installed it.

I'm on a playthrough right now with WoP (using the fixes from p_zombie above) and Ascension and seem to still fall into the "stuck after Balthazar" bug. After convincing Balthazar to join me and killing Melissan the Pocket Plane is not giving me the option to travel to the Stone Heads, even after using CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("DMWWGroveRevealed","GLOBAL",1).

Is there anything else I can do with the console or is the save locked out of progressing?

1 hour ago, Coelacanth said:

I'm on a playthrough right now with WoP (using the fixes from p_zombie above) and Ascension and seem to still fall into the "stuck after Balthazar" bug. After convincing Balthazar to join me and killing Melissan the Pocket Plane is not giving me the option to travel to the Stone Heads, even after using CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("DMWWGroveRevealed","GLOBAL",1).

Is there anything else I can do with the console or is the save locked out of progressing?

Try being next to the Pocket Plane door and using CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("PPGuy01")

A dialogue should pop up, asking you to teleport to the forest. This worked for me a few days ago.

Keep us updated!

On 10/1/2023 at 5:32 AM, paladin84 said:

No updates from my side. I still believe the fix should work (p_zombie was able to finish ToB with fixed version of WoP and Ascension installed without using console), but I didn't test it by myself yet yet and I am not sure it works for all the possible branches.

Understood, thanks for the response. Hopefully as more testing is done, it can be seen as a reliable fix!

DavidW - thank you for your input and honesty. Not to mention the amount of effort that has been put into these mods.

And yea, totally understandable that RL hinders things; I'm just thankful that the BG modding community is still as active as it is! So yes, perhaps it is better to wait for Wheels for now.

@Granger77 Spawning PPGuy01 did not make any difference. I tried reloading a save and killing Balthazar instead, after which the Pocket Plane door had the options "Take me to Saradush" or "Take me outside Saradush", which is very strange. I was also assuming WoP changed when the trials occur because the fifth trial is not unlocked and Solar doesn't appear after Balthazar, regardless of whether he lives. Is this the problem? What is the creature code for the Solar?

8 minutes ago, Coelacanth said:

@Granger77 Spawning PPGuy01 did not make any difference. I tried reloading a save and killing Balthazar instead, after which the Pocket Plane door had the options "Take me to Saradush" or "Take me outside Saradush", which is very strange. I was also assuming WoP changed when the trials occur because the fifth trial is not unlocked and Solar doesn't appear after Balthazar, regardless of whether he lives. Is this the problem? What is the creature code for the Solar?

Oh whoa, that is strange!! Arg..

Unfortunately I couldn't locate the creature code for the Solar. Luckily in my case, the PPGuy worked. I used this thread as a guide:

Admittedly, I am far from a programmer/coder, so I only have the loosest grasp on these things =(  Hopefully someone else here can help.

funny, the last time I completed ToB was... I don't remember ...I do remember SCS2 was version 15 or 17, I guess it was 15 so what year it was?? Wheels was pretty sure not created yet. well, it is not funny but actually terrifieyig how quickly time passes by.

@CamDawg @DavidW I'd like to recommend updating the mod's landing page and the linked readme to disclose the compatibility issues with Ascension. While the landing page doesn't mention Ascension as of now, the readme even recommends to have Ascension installed.

This should prevent further and unnecessary user frustration, which in turn prevents complaints, which in turn prevents pissed-off modders. :)

So a short update, I was able to trigger and complete the final challenge by bypassing the barrier via CTRL+J. I am still not offered the option to revisit the Stone Heads by the pocket plane door, however, it now lets me progress by selecting the option to go to the throne of Bhaal. I guess I'll have to try and see what happens, even though I never met up with Balthazar again.

It was pretty much compatible with old Ascension though - I don't recall any issues at the Throne of Blood with BGT, although admittedly the Amkethran invasion had some issues even then. This seems to be an EE problem or a problem with the Ascension EE update.