Modlist Discussion: A Prelude to Sigil

1 hour ago, UMNiK said:

I'll tentatively assign to myself - and A from Cahir's BG1EESoD list to be categorised as the first contents of the repo or sheet.

Cahir asked for help translating his list pages and updating them with information on languages other than Polish. Instead of offering to help, you start cannibalizing his efforts.

Your basic idea seems to be this: you can't be bothered to crawl forums for individual mods. Instead, you want to set up a central inbox and have all modders report to you. This is probably not going to happen.

Nothing wrong with yet another list, if you manage to put one together yourself; there are several. The pipe dream part of your ravings though seems to be the recurring 'avoid anyone ever having to ... again', 'always having', 'use in any and all future efforts'. Since mods will be missing from your list, or (in a few months time) your information about them will be outdated or incorrect, people will need to comb the forums for news and up-to-date information and start their own lists. Also, if I publish an unofficial version of some mod tomorrow, claiming that the genuine mod is bugged and causing the actual maintainer endless headaches, will you put it on your list please? That'd be helpful, in the way your response to Cahir's request is helpful.

I was going to wish you good luck, but considering your latest post, I'd rather wish Cahir luck with maintaining his list. I'm not a native speaker of English or I would offer to help him myself. I hope that someone volunteers. In any case, thanks for your efforts, Cahir!

16 minutes ago, Guest Ghast said:

I was going to wish you good luck, but considering your latest post, I'd rather wish Cahir luck with maintaining his list. I'm not a native speaker of English or I would offer to help him myself. I hope that someone volunteers. In any case, thanks for your efforts, Cahir!

Thanks for your kind words. The idea was to make the list easier to use for English speaker, since frok what I see it's used not only by Polish players, but from what I understand it's not that hard to navigate, and there is no real demand for it. 

I too have referred to your list several times in the past, and even I managed to navigate it so yeah, agreed on that point. There may be demand for a list like yours though? Even if it's a labour of love. :) Just thought it might be a good starting point (there are repos for web pages out there). No pressure though :)

Just to clarify, I meant your list in its current format; I don't see the need for added categorization that would either be obvious or contested, nor for category lists where every other mod appears in every other category and no-one gets any wiser. 'Starting point' as in, have pinned forum posts link to your list and possibly have it translated to English (if the occasional "Strona" confuses people). Again, just a thought.

On 9/16/2021 at 1:23 PM, Guest Cdds said:

I dont think its necessary to create an english version tbh.

While I'd agree that it shouldn't be 'necessary' strictly speaking, I think there might be some pushback if forum admins on English-only sites were to direct people to a webpage in Polish as a first resort. May be just my experience of similar things. Translating the page could be worthwhile though.

And that's it for me on this subject, sorry about the triple posts, would merge if I could.

4 hours ago, UMNiK said:

I have to wonder whether that time could be better spent either helping or living your life

By all means, keep wondering. For I too must admire your unshakable faith that community with 20 years long history is suddenly going to abandon its past ways and follow the teachings of enlightened random nobody out of the blue😂

21 hours ago, Guest Ghast said:

Just to clarify, I meant your list in its current format; I don't see the need for added categorization that would either be obvious or contested, nor for category lists where every other mod appears in every other category and no-one gets any wiser. 'Starting point' as in, have pinned forum posts link to your list and possibly have it translated to English (if the occasional "Strona" confuses people). Again, just a thought.

Yup, I have no plans of adding mod categorization or any category lists. I don't want to jump into this rabbit hole. Those lists always meant to be just that... a simple mod repository, where one can find the mod, and be directed to the download page, the site and the forum. 

My request for volunteers to maintain the English version of those lists stands, though.

What I know to be true is that large amounts of data that are not machine-crawl ready are best collated by large numbers of people. What I suspect is true is that the IE modding community is no worse than every other when it comes to actually doing the collating when there is a need for it (still waiting on any new player reports of successfully finding and installing mods they weren't directly linked to). I'm certainly a lot closer to understanding why past efforts have been unsuccessful - for whatever reason, there is both a burning desire for a messiah who will do everything single-handedly (likely due to being spoiled by a few of these actually materialising in the past) and a peculiar kind of blindness to a better way that so obviously exists (even when directly and repeatedly presented with it).

Anyway, here's a new topic with the summary of the current state of things as I see them. Anyone who wants to help their own future self rather than keep waiting for help from above is welcome to start the collaboration. Needless to say, if there isn't anyone besides myself wanting to choose their IE mods from a single location by more than the first symbol of mod's name, there won't be any collaborators forthcoming, which is also fine as a proven result (though one that saddens me greatly). If the new list fails at some point in the future, it will at least fail in an optimal way - able to be picked up again at any point by anyone and saving someone a few googles in the worst case.

2 hours ago, UMNiK said:

a peculiar kind of blindness to a better way that so obviously exists (even when directly and repeatedly presented with it)

That's funny, I only saw a peculiar kind of blindness in this thread if presented with the community-wide experience of the last 20 years, even if directly and repeatedly presented with it - but each their own, I guess.

But, everyone is free to try and fail themselves, so - I'd be happy if you 'd prove me wrong.

2 hours ago, UMNiK said:

there is (...) a burning desire for a messiah who will do everything single-handedly (likely due to being spoiled by a few of these actually materialising in the past)

That, indeed, is true; it's the kind of player that comes and thinks because there are people dedicating a lot of their free time to create and maintain content to enjoy for free, they should do so to every of the players' whim, and quickly! - not understanding that "the modding community" consists of everyone, including the players giving feedback and reporting bugs in the original mod threads so the modders can improve the mods.

8 hours ago, UMNiK said:

What I suspect is true is that the IE modding community is no worse than every other

"You guys don't totally suck... right?"

8 hours ago, UMNiK said:

still waiting on any new player reports of successfully finding and installing mods they weren't directly linked to

"I infer from people's failure to report to me per my instructions, the lack of the thing that might be reported. (Certainly not just a lack of motivation to report to me per my instructions.)"

8 hours ago, UMNiK said:

I'm certainly a lot closer to understanding why past efforts have been unsuccessful

"You guys do totally suck."

8 hours ago, UMNiK said:

a burning desire for a messiah

"You guys are sheeple."

8 hours ago, UMNiK said:

who will do everything single-handedly

"You guys are lazy."

8 hours ago, UMNiK said:

likely due to being spoiled

"You guys are spoiled."

8 hours ago, UMNiK said:

and a peculiar kind of blindness to a better way that so obviously exists

"You guys are stupid."

8 hours ago, UMNiK said:

Anyone who wants to help their own future self

"Do what I tell you to.. for you!"

8 hours ago, UMNiK said:

Needless to say, if there isn't anyone besides myself wanting to choose their IE mods from a single location by more than the first symbol of mod's name, there won't be any collaborators forthcoming, which is also fine as a proven result

"If everyone doesn't do everything exactly to my specifications, it will prove that you guys are stupid lazy spoiled sheeple who suck."

Tee-hee!  This guy is fun.

6 hours ago, Guest Ghast said:

Leadership 101

Yup, exactly.

Edited by subtledoctor
8 hours ago, UMNiK said:

What I know to be true is that large amounts of data that are not machine-crawl ready are best collated by large numbers of people. What I suspect is true is that the IE modding community is no worse than every other when it comes to actually doing the collating when there is a need for it (still waiting on any new player reports of successfully finding and installing mods they weren't directly linked to). I'm certainly a lot closer to understanding why past efforts have been unsuccessful - for whatever reason, there is both a burning desire for a messiah who will do everything single-handedly (likely due to being spoiled by a few of these actually materialising in the past) and a peculiar kind of blindness to a better way that so obviously exists (even when directly and repeatedly presented with it).

Anyway, here's a new topic with the summary of the current state of things as I see them. Anyone who wants to help their own future self rather than keep waiting for help from above is welcome to start the collaboration. Needless to say, if there isn't anyone besides myself wanting to choose their IE mods from a single location by more than the first symbol of mod's name, there won't be any collaborators forthcoming, which is also fine as a proven result (though one that saddens me greatly). If the new list fails at some point in the future, it will at least fail in an optimal way - able to be picked up again at any point by anyone and saving someone a few googles in the worst case.

you sound like Golodon .

While the list I have is a decent start, there's still a number of bugs that have cropped up during my playthrough.  Nothing really gamebreaking, but some annoyances that I had to manually go in and fix files to tidy up.  I may at some point go and look through the other mega playthroughs recently and see if I can sort out a safer install order.  There are some good principles you can follow to improve your chances of not running into problems.