Release v4.19rc1

Project Image going away when the caster is damaged is hardcoded in that mode of opcode 237, along with helplessness for the caster. Non-damaging hits don't do it; a mage with PI out and Stoneskin up can be easily drained to death by an illithid without the image popping.

In any case, not something accessible to ordinary modding. If there's a spell with Project Image mechanics at all, it will have these properties.

Minor typo for banishment: "Magic resistance does not effect this spell" should be "Magic resistance does not affect this spell."  This wording applies wherever the phrase does.  (Affect is the verb.  Effect is the noun.  I didn't make the rules for English.)

Enjoy and thankee!

Improved Haste:
-It says one of the differences between it and the normal haste is that it affects all allies in the area.  Normal haste seemingly already does that.  This seems like a typo.

-Improved haste should say it can't be "countered" by Slow.

Thankee!

On 7/21/2023 at 4:08 PM, Endarire said:

Minor typo for banishment: "Magic resistance does not effect this spell" should be "Magic resistance does not affect this spell."  This wording applies wherever the phrase does.  (Affect is the verb.  Effect is the noun.  I didn't make the rules for English.)

Technically magic resistance doesn’t effect the spell either. ;)

If we really wanted to nitpick, it should read "magic resistance is not effective against this spell".

In the way that a picket fence is not effective at keeping wasps out of your yard. Shouting at the wasps would not be effective either, but you could also say that the wasps were unaffected by your shouts, or that you shouted to no effect, whereas it would be strange to say that about the passive fence.

It's vague how magic resistance works, and the degree to which it's a wilful warding rather than a quality as of a substance, even between individual creatures this could vary.

Greetings.

I was reading my notes today and i want to report some potential bugs.

a) When you generate a spellcaster (i always run sorcerer but i suppose the same happens with mage too), you can choose Nahal's Reckless Dweomer and Chaos Shield. I checked the spells in NI and the spell-rev files in spwi1## and spwi2## have no exclusion flags where the backed files have exlusion for "Abj, Con, Div, Ench, Ill, Inv, Nec, Trans, Generalist". Is this wanted behavior ? Should all spellcasters be able to choose these spells.

b) Again in character generation i get two "Dispel Magics". I chose both spells and opened the save file in eekeeper and the spells are spwi302, spwi326 respectively so they are supposed to be Remove and Dispel Magic. Recently there was a re-implementation of hidespl.2da so i thought that it was to blame but it was not. I checked the git repository and got the following:

commit 09348fba01d85d4f0a7cefd60dcd87d2cb344812
Author:     Mike <mike1072@gmail.com>
AuthorDate: Wed Dec 30 20:07:40 2015 -0800
Commit:     Mike <mike1072@gmail.com>
CommitDate: Wed Dec 30 20:07:40 2015 -0800

V4 Beta 11

diff --git a/spell_rev/languages/english/arcane.tra b/spell_rev/languages/english/arcane.tra
index a1bd6b7..24b56e7 100644
--- a/spell_rev/languages/english/arcane.tra
+++ b/spell_rev/languages/english/arcane.tra
@@ -606,19 +606,19 @@ Saving Throw: None

This spell grants an unnatural perception of things to come. Once Clairvoyance is cast, the caster receives instantaneous warnings of impending danger or harm. He becomes impossible to surprise and cannot be backstabbed. In addition, the spell gives a general idea of what action might be taken to best protect oneself, granting a +2 insight bonus to AC and saves vs. breath. The effects last for the duration of the spell, and cannot be dispelled.~

-@503=~Remove Magic~
-@504=~Remove Magic
+@503=~Dispel Magic~
+@504=~Dispel Magic

Is this supposed to be ? Should both spells be named Dispel Magic ? If yes, should both be available in character generation or one should be hidden ?

@khelban12

With the most recent rc4, I pre-generated a Sorc in BG2 and cannot reproduce any of the two bugs -- yes, the behavior you are witnessing should not happen -- you relate, specifically: availability of wild mage spells and two dispel magics. So, I will need some more info to diagnose this.

The most recent rc4 did re-implement the hidespl,2da stuff but it was already present and working.

10 hours ago, grodrigues said:

@khelban12

With the most recent rc4, I pre-generated a Sorc in BG2 and cannot reproduce any of the two bugs -- yes, the behavior you are witnessing should not happen -- you relate, specifically: availability of wild mage spells and two dispel magics. So, I will need some more info to diagnose this.

The most recent rc4 did re-implement the hidespl,2da stuff but it was already present and working.

I may have done something wrong in my installation. I have been known to be an idiot :)

When you tried to reproduce it, did you do it on tobex or EE ?

I have tried a new installation with just tobex v28 -> tobex afterlife -> bg2fixpack v13 -> spell_rev v4.19 (my repo shows commit d5ad2b28215de from Jul 25 as latest) and i get the same problems.

I noticed that during installation i got a message that there is no rule to identify tobex and that it is an unhandled case and no patching will be done. I searched for this string and it resides in hidespl_patching.tph.

diff -urw /home/git/repos/spellrevisions/spell_rev/lib/hidespl_patching.tph spell_rev/lib/hidespl_patching.tph
--- /home/git/repos/spellrevisions/spell_rev/lib/hidespl_patching.tph	2023-06-17 19:07:31.288328202 +0300
+++ spell_rev/lib/hidespl_patching.tph	2023-07-26 10:36:29.215926381 +0300
@@ -98,7 +98,7 @@
         ACTION_IF GAME_IS "iwdee" BEGIN
             OUTER_TEXT_SPRINT engine "iwdee"
         END ELSE BEGIN
-            ACTION_IF GAME_IS "tobex" BEGIN
+            ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS ~tobex_ini/tobexcore.ini~ BEGIN
                 OUTER_TEXT_SPRINT engine "tobex"
             END ELSE BEGIN
                 WARN "hide_spells: unhandled case; no patching will be done."

This is the relevant code. As you see it uses "game_is tobex" which isn't a known value if i am not mistaken. I changed it as shown above (i don't know which is the proper way to identify tobex. some mods check for tobexloader.exe and others for tobexcore.ini) and now patching works. So my revised list of problems are the following:

a) I now correctly get only one Dispel Magic spell but i do not get Remove Magic at all. Is this how it is supposed to be ? Does Spell Revisions remove Remove Magic alltogether ?

b) I still can choose all the wild magic spells because their patching doesn't work so they are not hidden.

hide_spells_from_array: resource name for spell 'WIZARD_NAHALS_RECKLESS_DWEOMER' not found.

hide_spells_from_array: resource name for spell 'WIZARD_CHAOS_SHIELD' not found.

hide_spells_from_array: resource name for spell 'WIZARD_IMPROVED_CHAOS_SHIELD' not found.

I get the above message and indeed if i check spell.ids these identifiers do not exist in spell.ids. Opening the spell files in NI, i get "Wizard_Alarm" for Nahal and "no symbol" for the two chaos shield spells.

If this a problem on my side and only in my installation please forgive me for wasting your time.

4 hours ago, khelban12 said:

When you tried to reproduce it, did you do it on tobex or EE ?

Ah, that is a difference that makes a difference.

Will only have time to go over this on the weekend, but for now let me say this:

1. Just read the weidu docs and "tobex" is indeed not a valid arg for GAME_IS, so that has to change. Will change to check for the existence of tobexcore.ini

2. to answer a) that is indeed correct. With SR, remove magic is renamed to dispel magic and dispel magic becomes AI-only.

3. your b) is more baffling, since the code is telling that the wild mage spells have different symbolic names. I am pretty sure that is not supposed to be happening... The fact that the chaos spells have "no symbol" is doubly alarming -- are they simply not in spell.ids or they literally have "no symbol" as an entry? At any rate, what I need are those symbolic names. Maybe also try

weidu --change-log "spell ref"

to rule out any possible bugs with tobex and the fixpack. "spell ref" is the resource ref for the offending wild mage spells.

I am on linux so I cannot test tobex, so it means that you will have to be a lab test rat (and whatever other metaphor is suitable) and guide me while I try to sort this out.

Edited by grodrigues
A weed is not a rule
20 hours ago, grodrigues said:

Ah, that is a difference that makes a difference.

your b) is more baffling, since the code is telling that the wild mage spells have different symbolic names. I am pretty sure that is not supposed to be happening... The fact that the chaos spells have "no symbol" is doubly alarming -- are they simply not in spell.ids or they literally have "no symbol" as an entry? At any rate, what I need are those symbolic names.

For now, disregard what i said about b). I will do another test installation (this time from scratch from install cds) to test this again. I had the idea to insert code in spell_rev.tp2 that appends the entries to spell.ids, as so many other mods do, and i noticed that bg2fixpack already has entries for the chaos shields spells. So, the only explanation for them to not be there is that i probably did something wrong in my test installation. Sorry for confusing you. I will be back with further news.

So the only real problem is the test for tobex.

1 hour ago, grodrigues said:

Hello again and thank you for the quick replies.

a) I incorporated the fixes in your pull requests. At first, it didn't work and i got "unhandled case" once again. I had to change (FILE_EXISTS "tobexcore.ini") to (FILE_EXISTS "tobex_ini/tobexcore.ini") and then it works fine.

b) I did a new installation and it seems i hadn't messed up anything. The spell.ids file simply does not contain the necessary entries. I know i said that bg2fixpack has code for them but I had hastily browsed the code. It seems that the code is only called from the modder.tpa file which is deprecated for some time now.

The first mod (at least in my install order) that inserts the entries is Wheels of Prophecy which is installed way later than Spell Revisions.

I don't know what is the proper fix (re-enable modder.tpa in bg2fixpack ?) so i locally did the following workaround which seems to work.

--- /home/git/repos/spellrevisions/spell_rev/setup-spell_rev.tp2	2023-06-16 21:45:47.126083785 +0300
+++ spell_rev/setup-spell_rev.tp2	2023-07-27 14:28:33.879636737 +0300
@@ -10,7 +10,11 @@
   OUTER_PATCH ~~ BEGIN
     PATCH_INCLUDE ~spell_rev/settings.ini~
   END
-  
+
+  APPEND ~spell.ids~ ~2124 WIZARD_NAHALS_RECKLESS_DWEOMER~ UNLESS ~WIZARD_NAHALS_RECKLESS_DWEOMER~
+  APPEND ~spell.ids~ ~2222 WIZARD_CHAOS_SHIELD~ UNLESS ~WIZARD_CHAOS_SHIELD~
+  APPEND ~spell.ids~ ~2723 WIZARD_IMPROVED_CHAOS_SHIELD~ UNLESS ~WIZARD_IMPROVED_CHAOS_SHIELD~
+
   // On EE games, convert tra files to utf-8 so that games don't crash for non-English
   ACTION_IF NOT VARIABLE_IS_SET cd_always THEN BEGIN
     OUTER_SET cd_always = 1

Thank you again for your time. I hope i didn't confuse you this time.

@khelban12

I've fixed the path to tobexcore.ini. As far as b) as the current SR maintainer, I am a bit wary of making such corrections in SR, because they would have to be systematic, as opposed to some one-off fix.

The fix of adding the required spell.ids entries for the wild mage spells is simple and can easily be made into a mod installable before SR -- it is *not* a good idea to fold them into your copy of SR. If you need help doing it, just holler.

Edited by grodrigues
Fix name