Release v4.19rc1

Well, using ADD_SPELL doesn't actually have much to do with that. As noted in other conversations, some mods that use spell installation methods from before ADD_SPELL existed can actually be worse as far as spell space goes. And even before SR used ADD_SPELL, it still added new spells into slots that would count against the maximum.

As of now, there is no silver bullet to prevent yourself hitting the spell limit. Ideally you could see what new spells are installed by each mod - though that's not always easy. But you can check your override folder after each mod is installed, and look at the SPPR and SPWI files, and if you see any of them getting into the 40s, then you know you are close to the limit.

My advice is this: decide what purpose you want new spells to play in your game. If you want added spells to be a seamless part of the experience, something that you can use against enemies and that enemies can also use against you - if you want your new spells to be "fair" in this way and be treated by the game just like the original set of spells is - then you should prioritize SR and IWDification. These are the mods that are used by SCS AI. This is a conservative way to add spells to the game.

On the other hand, if you are modding the game because you want to see crazy stuff that was never contemplated by the base game, and just want to play around with shiny new stuff in the game, then you should look at different mods like MiH or SoD Item Upgrade etc. These are more creative and maybe have more... let's say flair... but they will make for more one-sided gameplay. Which is fine! Just depends on what you want out of the game.

On 10/23/2022 at 8:38 PM, grodrigues said:

Patch to fix the string issue is up. Not commited yet to let it stew for a bit and because I have not had the time to do the minimal testing yet.

Thanks, I will try it.

I wonder if there also a string problem with Weaves of Fatigue, after casted on a NPC, the dialog window shows the NPC's name but nothing else is displayed. Shouldn't it says "fatigued" or something like that?

Also, the lich in SoD uses one spell in his contingency which have a string problem too, but I didn't identify it yet.

5 hours ago, Trouveur80 said:

I wonder if there also a string problem with Weaves of Fatigue, after casted on a NPC, the dialog window shows the NPC's name but nothing else is displayed. Shouldn't it says "fatigued" or something like that?

Also, the lich in SoD uses one spell in his contingency which have a string problem too, but I didn't identify it yet.

Yes, for Waves of Fatigue; it has a 139 opcode to display "Fatigued". As for the lich I would have to look into it, as it may be using a SoD copy of some vanilla spell and thus is not touched by SR.

On 10/20/2022 at 3:28 AM, subtledoctor said:

Well, I've to say I'm very happy to know that now Spell Revisions will be definitively released - before the end of the year I hope ? - but I need to have some precisions, because I'm trying to modify now my own mod Kaya  - who will sell all the arcane spell scrolls available in BG2ToB/BG2EE games - with the new list of arcane spells of SR by the way :
- Is the number of arcane spells in SR v4.19RC1 - 189 spells in total, not Wild Mage spells included - definitive ? For example, I've noted that : @870=~Monster Summoning IX~ - an arcane level 9 spell - isn't at all in the list of spells available for a mage and a sorcerer…and too : @872=~Unholy Fireball~, is it a new spell not yet implemented ?
- There are anomalies in the list of arcane spells (French & English .tras) here and there : @563=~Dimension Jump~, Level 1 spell is in the Level 4 Spells section ; @565=~Mestil's Acid Sheath~, Level 5 spell is in the Level 4 Spells section ; @705=~Summon Nishruu~, Level 7 spell is in the Level 6 Spells section…there are others…I hope that these lines will be corrected in the final version of Spell Revisions, because it seems a bit disorderly. It's after having installed SR v4.19RC1 on a fresh BG2EE 2.6.6.0 game and pointed all the arcane spells available (by creating a sorcerer in ToB and after by giving him in addition +500 000 XP with the CLUA Console) that I've noted these details.
Voilà, I hope to have answers to my questions, and thank you for all your efforts.
NB for Mickabouille : merci l'ami de te dévouer pour la VF de SR, je suis de près tes interventions.

Not sure  what happened with that quote, but I can answer some:

• Monster Summoning 9 is not in the game. A version of it was tested a while  ago, which is why the  description is in the .tra file. But after some playtesting it was removed and a suitable replacement has not yet been found.
  • Mestil's Acid Sheath replaces Fire Shield: Blue, whichis a 4th-levelspell, which is why you see it among the 4th-level files/.tra refs. But in the game, it makes it available as a 5th-level spell for balance and lore-friendliness reasons. Both files exist because some NPCs will use the 4th-level version, but for your purposes  you only need to deal with the 5th-level version.
  • I think  the same hold for Summon Nishruu, only one version is actually available in the game.
  • Dimension Jump is a spell that has some files and strings in the base game, and SR maybe started to do something with it? A long time ago? But I don't think it is actually added now.
  • I don't know what the  heck "Unholy Fireball" is. You can ignore it I think.

More generally, rather than using a list of spells that  you hope will perfectly match those added by mods, why not just run through every arcane scroll and automatically generate a list of wizard spells? That would seem to be safer, given that mods can change all the time...

Dear Doctor, thank you for your quick response (NB : ignore the quote, it's a little error from my part…), So what I need to know in fact if the number - and the types - of SR arcane spells could be modified yet - one more one less here and there ? - by the modders of this section before the final release (soon ?), even if we have now a release candidate available now; note that I use NearInfinity for my mods, of course I can point without problems the arcane spell scrolls available in SR in the game one by one and add in my store (Kaya will be available in English for anglophone players). Spell Revisions will be the only spell mod I'll install for my games.

1 hour ago, Prof Errata said:

So what I need to know in fact if the number - and the types - of SR arcane spells could be modified yet - one more one less here and there ? - by the modders of this section before the final release (soon ?), even if we have now a release candidate available now

Oh I don't know the exact number, you'll have to count that yourself. And there are no changes planned AFAIK, so you are fine if you consider the mod in its present state. But in the future? Could Demi come back, or someone else pick up the reins and add more spells for a possible v5? Who knows?

But if I was making a mod that needed to know whether and when  SR might achieve some kind of "final release state," I would consider it as it is right no to be its final state.

Well there are 189 arcane spells available in SR V4.19RC1 (from Levels 1 to 9, without the L10 included), and it seems as you say it's the definitive list. I've pointed all the spells present in BG2EE (level by level, the Sorcerer class is very useful for this careful work), and I hope we'll have a SR V4 very soon. For V5 wait and see…
I hope nevertheless that the .tra files EN/FR will be homogenized by the way when we'll have SRV4 here in G3, the present ones create confusion…

I apologize that my language has borrowed one of the words from yours and transliterated a widely accepted variant without the pointless* diacritics, but that's the way she goes.

*Note: pointless in English. I'm sure they serve their use elsewhere, but as English is entirely without them, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to use them. Given how inconsistently letters are used in English, it might prove helpful for those learning the language if it did have them, though...that might be a very useful learning tool if you're coming from a different language where they're the norm.

Edited by Bartimaeus