Release v4.19rc1

There's another side-effect that players that use the english version may not be aware of: when using these tags

• on a $LANG version of the game where
  • some mod without a $LANG translation was installed in english
  • this mod used these tags

you end up with a mix of english (mod text) with translation for the tags in $LANG, which is... way worse than just having the text in english.

I won't advocate not using these tags, they're useful, but I think they should be used parsimoniously. I'd put the limit on story, dialogues etc. but not in spell and item descriptions.

Edited by mickabouille

I mean, it would be weirder if spells in Nalia’s spellbook mention Charname.  

But yeah I also agree they probably should not use Charname’s gendered pronouns. I was just saying, SR adheres to the game’s convention here. Now that you point it out, I think you are right that the convention is bad. 

Edited by subtledoctor

First stab at more info about installation order in the top readme in a PR. Comment there, please.

@mickabouilleYes, I too would much prefer gender-neutral terms like "caster", "target", "victim", etc. But the docs are semi-auto generated and they have not been updated since the last stable, so I have to figure how that works. Your patch is also good, commented in the repo with a request -- please comment there.

11 hours ago, Trouveur80 said:

I just tried V419RC1 and when I cast Regenerate Light Wounds, I have the "where exactly are we supposed to meet up this Sarevok?" line displayed.

I *think* I know where the problem is -- an hardcoded string ref in the 139 opcode.

Some mod is clobbering that text line -- could you please tell me what, if any, mods are installed before SR? This is the kind of thing that is conceptually easy to fix but actually not "pretty" (delete the 139 opcodes or make a subsequent patch to insert the right string refs)...

6 hours ago, grodrigues said:

I *think* I know where the problem is -- an hardcoded string ref in the 139 opcode.

Some mod is clobbering that text line -- could you please tell me what, if any, mods are installed before SR? This is the kind of thing that is conceptually easy to fix but actually not "pretty" (delete the 139 opcodes or make a subsequent patch to insert the right string refs)...

Sure.

Lefreut UI, DLC Merger, and then SR.

I play on BGEE + SoD 2.6 with English language.

After SR I have aTweaks for revised Bhaalspawn powers, Another fine Hell, Road to Discovery, Borarskyr Bridge, an avatar mod and Hidden Game options.

Edited by Trouveur80

I'd bet a bunch of strings are different in IWDEE as well.

Fixing this sort of thing could theoretically be automated? Copy the whole BG2(EE) dialog.tlk file into SR, and then make a little patch function, something like:

• Check each instances of op139, get the referenced BG2 string
  • Check the string against the same strref in the current game
  • If different, RESOLVE_STR_REF and then ALTER_EFFECT the op139

...and run the patch function when copying spells into the game.

Would have to do it for each language. I don't know how large the .tlk file is... can't be that big, it's just text right?

Edited by subtledoctor
14 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

I'd bet a bunch of strings are different in IWDEE as well.

Nah, that is nuke to kill a fly; dead fly with nuclear fallout is not a good trade off.

The *specific* problem has an easy *specific* fix (insert the tra ref, patch 139 opcodes, etc.). The problem is one of maintainability. As these kinds of fixes accrue we ought to have some sort of scheme, say by stages, to orchestrate the whole mess. But this needs a clear architectural view of how SR works or ought to work, which we do not have. At any rate will code a patch this coming weekend.