Alignment Changes: NE

I think I prefer Farthy as neutral, and the whole Keep assault as part of a fit of paternal wrath, than as a criminal mastermind planning the whole corporate takeover the whole time.

It's not like Nalia ever even bothered to, you know, mention that the engagement was off before having his son and heir thrown in the clink on little more evidence than the word of some warmongering vagabond from Baldur's Gate :) I don't think Quint really deserves it either - Isaea's just a bad apple.

Let's not make Lady Tandolin evil just because she's got some class issues.

I'd be in favor of leaving Tamoko some flavor of neutral. She wasn't really evil in BG (not really), and she's the only one who shows up in both good and evil parties (since they wisely didn't use Tazok).

Tamoko is NE in the original BG, when the devs actually seemed to be paying attention to alignments. (Yes, I know it's not the 'actual' Tamoko but a 'what if' version.)

Is canon Aran neutral evil? He acts fairly lawful in-game, no?

Dunno about canon, but this is a good point. If we're going to paint the ST organization as LE, it stands to reason that Aran is as well.

Why is Quint evil? He may be standing around with the family crest up his ass, but all he really does is shoo away the peasants (the party in this case)?

Agreed. LN is probably a better fit here.

Why is fulady evil? She's a bit arrogant, but she's still comparatively friendly.
Let's not make Lady Tandolin evil just because she's got some class issues.

Yeah, I'm not sure why she's being changed here--dropped.

Changes to the unused tobban* are dropped as well.

I think I prefer Farthy as neutral, and the whole Keep assault as part of a fit of paternal wrath, than as a criminal mastermind planning the whole corporate takeover the whole time.

Various lines from Delcia and others imply that Farthington has been planning this for some time. I think the claim of 'revenge' here is a bit weak--Isaea is only thrown in prison if Nalia is in the party and you complete her sidequests, whereas Farthington will always assault you at the Keep. He never tries to resolve the issue via non-violent means (unless you count showing up at the Keep and threatening invasion).

Since I know the fixpack team likes feedback, are there any alignment decisions in particular that you feel are innapropriate?

Yes, please. The more discussion on these, the better the end result. We'll never satisfy everyone but that doesn't mean it can't be improved.

Are we sure that Lord Roenal really is Farthington? There's got to be more "Lord" Roenals, and he certainly doesn't seem the type at the funeral (doesn't really seem to have any concern about the keep whatsoever beyond offering to help Nalia keep it). (Not that I'm arguing for or against alignments, but I've never done the fighter stronghold and can't see how the two Roenals match.)

I disagree about BG1 alignments being any better, but I'm not concerned.

Are we sure that Lord Roenal really is Farthington? There's got to be more "Lord" Roenals, and he certainly doesn't seem the type at the funeral (doesn't really seem to have any concern about the keep whatsoever beyond offering to help Nalia keep it). (Not that I'm arguing for or against alignments, but I've never done the fighter stronghold and can't see how the two Roenals match.)

Yes, they're one and the same--at least one of the journal entries in the de'Arnise Keep events names Lord Roenal as Farthington, and IIRC the messenger (maybe the major domo?) refers to him as Lord Farthington Roenal.

Something relevant which hasn't been mentioned yet: the version of Farthington Roenal that appears at Nalia's funeral (farthin) is NE; the Farthington that appears in the Keep events (kproen01) is LN.

You have to respect consistency in a game developer....

I can see an evil Farthington as being unconcerned, even friendly, at the feuneral because he feels that he will get hold of the keep no matter what, and so figures that hostility towards Nalia will serve nothing.

I could also believe that he is Lawful Neutral, and doesn't much care about what Nalia does, until it looks like she will break the agreement with his family and give the keep to the PC... then he gets very hostile and comes to defend his rights, possibly made angrier by the charges levelled at his son, whether he believes them to be true or not.

Archived