Haven't posted a banter preview in a while

berelinde

GAVIN: ~Listen! Do you recognize that sound?~

KELDORN: ~Ah, yes, I certainly do. Pell training, isn't it?~

GAVIN: ~I think so. Takes me back.~

KELDORN: ~You Lathandrites are nearly as enthusiastic as we of the Order, when it comes to martial training, as I recall. Were you a student of the lists?~

GAVIN: ~Me? Not as much as some, no. I liked the exercise, but I was never the most able in my year.~

KELDORN: ~You do well enough, man.~

GAVIN: ~Now, yes. Back when I was all elbows and knees, not so much.~

KELDORN: ~Ah, Gavin, we were all young once.~

A pell is a target. It's usually just a stationary post (tree, telephone pole) that swordsmen use kind of like a punching bag, to practice their precision and their fighting form. The idea is that it lets them 1) hit as hard as they want, and 2) lets them choose their target without interference from target movement. There are other practice forms for moving targets, like tilting the quintain (a shield-shaped target on a pivot that swings around when hit).

Thanks, both for your feedback!

Yes, I'm sure it will come as no surprise to hear that Gavin and Keldorn enjoy a comfortable, easy-going relationship. Both men have seen something of life, both men are secure in their faith and in their own callings, and I believe there will be mutual respect. If you're into party conflict, keeping these two in the party together won't be your idea of a good time, but if you are building a party who will help and support each other, they will work out just fine.

Heya, I like the banter, but it looks like something that will be tied to a particular place that have people training. And I can't think of anywhere in BG2 (IWD2 BR monastery persistently comes to mind though, LOL!). So, unlss it's a secret :( where do you place this? Radiant Heart quarters?

Anywhere in Athkatla or Trademeet, really. There aren't any barracks or garrison buildings, per se, but then there aren't a lot of buildings that a city the size of Athkatla would need.

Trademeet has the militia, and they continue to be a presence even after the druid grove quest. The most likely place for barracks in Athkatla would probably be the government district, and the prison is there, but the temple district would also work, because of the Radiant Heart. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a garrison outpost in the Slums, the Docks, the Bridge District, or the Gates. In any of those places, too, it could always be a household guard exercising. About the only place I couldn't see it happening would be the Graveyard district. Or night time.

SCA and all that reading of Men of Iron and just a liiiitle bit of heraldic research... and I forget that lists, pell, quintain, tilting at the rings, and such aren't common terms any more (but then again, neither are shield wall, onager, petard [as in hoist by your own], or vigil.)

Language is so fun, but so fleeting...

(great banter :( I am off to borrow the idea for a riff on it for Aran, whose training would be a good deal different.)

About the only place I couldn't see it happening would be the Graveyard district. Or night time.

Heh, maybe the vampires practice a bit too... But yeah, it makes sense. I have to say that pell training got me stopped for a moment too, and without looking into dictionary I by some reason thought it was a bell tolling for prayer. I wonder if you could expand on Keldorn's remark a wee bit to give a small hint.

For me, Keldorn's bit about "martial training" clarified it enough. I didn't know what pell training was either, but got enough of the gist of it from the rest of the conversation.

SCA stuff sounds like a lot of fun. Makes me wish there was something closer to where I am to get involved in it.

Heh. I can't go posting the whole mod, now, can I?

Moving along, moving along. No concrete ETA, yet, but the friendship-only testing version will be ready before summer solstice. (Got a couple other projects going, so I don't work on anything full-time, really).

Heh. I can't go posting the whole mod, now, can I?

We wouldn't mind. :D

I liked this banter. It fit Keldorn's personality perfectly -- it was Keldorn to the max! It kind of reminds me of the banter Keldorn has with Anomen about knighthood. :(

Archived