Adalon romance? :D

Gospel

Actually, this was stated in the game.  Her mate had been killed, but some god of some sort (the specific one wasn't specified) did allow her to clutch some eggs bearing her mate's seed long after his death.

Hmm... I don't recall that being stated in the game. Of course, I haven't selected all possible options either.

Yes, it was in the game, as I remember, it read in the description of the eggs. It was Adalon's dead mate's spirit which gave the seed to the eggs many years (even hundreds?) after his death.

A PC rearing a host of newborn dragonlings in ToB...

<CHARNAME>: Now, Abzigail, let us compare the notes. Did Drakonis chew on swords? My little Grissxallynaxis does it all the time. Not sure why... and Bernexallegirattoks has a runny nose. Just dripps lava everywhere. Very inconvenient.

But they are all good kids -

ANVOELOGETTONEXIS! Stop flapping your wings when adults are discussing important matters! Look, you rendered Lady Fentan unconsious yet AGAIN!

Kgrennoz! You finally learned the stinky sulphuric cloud , did not you?! Or is your tummy hurting again? Gerrezelleda... you *know* how Valygar does not like necromancers... so please, stop building a wall of undead around him!

Yes, what was I saying? Good kids, yes, all two dozens of them.

I had a look at the Draconomicon and apparently dragons who live up to the ideals of their particular type get to live on in an afterlife, usually serving one of the draconic gods. Dragons who don't perfectly match their archetype get their memories stripped away and their souls are recycled for the next generation of dragons.

So unless Adalon's mate (and Adalon herself) was a really silvery silver, she's probably not going to see him again. Fun afterlife for Dragons, no?

Yes, it was in the game, as I remember, it read in the description of the eggs. It was Adalon's dead mate's spirit which gave the seed to the eggs many years (even hundreds?) after his death.

Not there either. All that says is they are Adalon's eggs and they were stolen.

Ah, thanks, I found it. This is what the drow says:

Hm.  I know of only one dragon that inhabits the near caverns of the Underdark, and that is the ancient silver beast, Adalon... she who was sent by our surface cousins to guard the old passages.  It is said that the silver dragon once had a mate, long ago... a mate who was captured by our people when we were still dwellers of the southern reaches.  The heart of her mate was ripped from its body whole, as I hear.  The Queen of the Drow used its heart in a ceremony of great darkness, one that angered an old, pale god of the surface elves... I know not which one.  Does it matter?  When we were driven beneath the surface, sentenced by our fiendish cousins, their god made a pact with Adalon.  In return for her vow to guard the old passages to the surface, he would give her what she desired most.  At a time of her choosing, when she had grown old, Adalon could call on the god and he would grant her children... eggs that would be made real by the soul of her lost dragon love.  Or so the story goes.  I hold little truck with it, myself... but, then, I would never venture into those old passages just in case the tales of her presence are true.

Heya,

Well that story seems to imply that Adalon is... very very very very very old, definitely Great Wyrm status. I wouldn't want such a powerful being traveling with the group - we're talking a dragon that should be at least on a par with Elminster as far as power is concerned.

I'd be more inclined to say that story is not accurate at all.

There are two problems that I see with Adalon joining the PC's party. 1) She's far too powerful (it's implied that she's ancient anyway, even if the drow story isn't true) and 2) I don't think the PC could persuade her to leave her eggs behind ('cause there's no way the party would bring the eggs with them - too much of a risk to the eggs).

It would be possible to come back and visit her, though. I'm sure that after just a couple of centuries she'd see you as a close friend and after a thousand years or so when her kids have grown up she'd be ready for a romance...

Yes, the eggs are a problem. Sorta like getting involved with a single mom, only with geologic time being added to the mix, which is typically longer than most humanoid races live.

I'd see it as more likely, and fun, to meet up with Adalon later in the game, at her newly select home. Maybe she'd be in a better frame of mind by then, especially if you met her in ToB and could relate what happened with Irenicus and Suldanesselar and how you saved the day. Perhaps she could offer some ancient wisdom. For sure she would have something to say if Viconia was in the group, and also for any other elves present. She might also have something to say regarding Charname's parentage.

Given that she's the only good-aligned dragon in the game, it'd be nice to see her more than once. Maybe even enlist her aid versus Abazigal. Woo. :)

Archived