Feedback

Aesthetically I actually think there's a fairly good case for using the water weird (I use it intentionally in SCS's IWD spell component).Elementals in BG2 have a fairly consistent aesthetic that's quite different from the blocky humanoid elementals in IWD, and (imo) the water weird fits that aesthetic better than the IWD elemental.

On 9/2/2020 at 6:20 AM, DavidW said:

Aesthetically I actually think there's a fairly good case for using the water weird (I use it intentionally in SCS's IWD spell component).Elementals in BG2 have a fairly consistent aesthetic that's quite different from the blocky humanoid elementals in IWD, and (imo) the water weird fits that aesthetic better than the IWD elemental.

Sure... but have you seen it "walk" ? Cause I would remember it to: not be able to ! Or it looked horriffic... cause it's not humanoid.

On 12/24/2020 at 11:42 PM, JediMindTrix said:

How is Magic Fang supposed to work visually? Whenever I use it in game, in either the beta and revisions versions, nothing seems to happen.

I;m pretty sure it adds bonuses appropriately; but be aware it only adds bonuses to the creatures summoned by SR's Summon Animals spells. It doesn't work with other mods' animals (like SCS/IWDification beetles), or with charmed animals or the like.

12 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

I;m pretty sure it adds bonuses appropriately; but be aware it only adds bonuses to the creatures summoned by SR's Summon Animals spells. It doesn't work with other mods' animals (like SCS/IWDification beetles), or with charmed animals or the like.

It does, I opened the .spl, there just doesn't seem to be any vfx associated with it, and since it's a mod it made me assume it was a bug lol. I saw that list too. Thanks!

I really love these mods, but am encountering a number of errors when it comes to scripting and having desired reactions. Specifically:

• Dispelling Screen does not update a state/spellstate on the character, so standard checks like WIZARD_SPELL_IMMUNITY are not working as originally designed. This impacts not knowing if the spell is already cast on the player, so it will keep casting, or determining if the enemy has it up so a script can react appropriately. My recommendation is updating the Spell State of WIZARD_SPELL_IMMUNITY to 1 on any character with Dispelling Screen. This is the same value that SI: Abjuration uses, so there should be no negative impact with SCS
  • Scripts are not accurately targeting invisible enemies with Non-Detection with spells after True Sight is cast (specifically the character who cast True Sight is not able to target them). To be clear, the enemy is targetable manually; however, there appears to be a script state working in the background that prevents automated detection by scripts and allowing the character to cast a spell. I think this involves how Non-Detection works in SRR and how True Sight no longer changes the spell state on the enemy like it has in the past since only the character who cast True Sight is able to cast a spell on an invisible creature with Non-Detection. I imagine SCS has some difficulties around this; however, they use a mix of both regular spell casting and forced spellcasting that will work whether the creature is targetable or not. This is a tougher one for me to wrap my head around on figuring out the appropriate way to make it work correctly. 

I don't know why or how I haven't seen this mod before. I'm loving it. Even though it hurts a bit (or a lot) to miss Blindness for BG1 solo runs, the other changes are great IMO.

My only suggestion would refer to the page where we can read the new spell descriptions. It looks beautiful but it's not convenient to back and forth between pages to see new and old versions, etc. If there is any way, it would be great if the versions could be seen side by side. Even more if the changed values (like duration, new saving throws, penalties, damage or whatever) could be highlighted. I know this second suggestion may be a little harder to implement, but in an ideal world it would be great. In any case, just seing spells side by side would help a lot!

1 hour ago, neuroghast said:

My only suggestion would refer to the page where we can read the new spell descriptions. It looks beautiful but it's not convenient to back and forth between pages to see new and old versions, etc. If there is any way, it would be great if the versions could be seen side by side. Even more if the changed values (like duration, new saving throws, penalties, damage or whatever) could be highlighted. I know this second suggestion may be a little harder to implement, but in an ideal world it would be great. In any case, just seing spells side by side would help a lot!

Thanks, that is a very good suggestion.  Keeping the docs up to date is always a challenge, which is why these are generated using the actual files and descriptions.  Displaying both descriptions side-by-side seems doable, but trying to find a way to automatically identify and call out individual differences doesn't seem like a good time investment.

I don't know when I'll have time to dedicate to this, but we'll see.

We have a topic dedicated to discussion of the docs if you have any additional suggestions: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/30765-spell-descriptions-and-other-documentation/

2 hours ago, Mike1072 said:

Thanks, that is a very good suggestion.  Keeping the docs up to date is always a challenge, which is why these are generated using the actual files and descriptions.  Displaying both descriptions side-by-side seems doable, but trying to find a way to automatically identify and call out individual differences doesn't seem like a good time investment.

I don't know when I'll have time to dedicate to this, but we'll see.

We have a topic dedicated to discussion of the docs if you have any additional suggestions: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/30765-spell-descriptions-and-other-documentation/

Yeah, I know that highlighting the differences must be hard to implement, but just being able to see both versions side by side (or in any similar way for easy comparison) is a huge thing. Specially for me, since, as I said before, I've just came to know this mod. I'm reading all the descriptions and it's taking me way more time than I'd like.

Btw, if there is any other documentation form (like a Google Docs or Sheet) and if it's ok to share it, it would speed my readings a lot.

If I have any other suggestions to the documentations I'll post there. Thanks!

Edited by neuroghast
Grammar
Guest Person

Here are some things I've houseruled in my current install.

• (Un)Holy Word - deafness/1 turn to silence/2 rounds

Let's compare this spell to PW: Silence.
PW:S
- Level 6 arcane
- Requires a single, visible target
- 100% spell failure for 1 turn
- Some enemies have immunity
- Countered by Vocalize, which almost every arcane caster will have
(U)HW
- Level 7 divine
- Doesn't require a target, affects everything in radius
- 50% spell failure for 1 turn
- No enemy has immunity, it's magic resistance or bust
- Countered by Cure Disease etc which most encounters won't have access to, and no AI is scripted to detect it anyway

It's ridiculous how much better HW is. And what's more, all summoned celestials have it memorised, so you won't have to invest a round on casting it.
This isn't SR's fault. The deafness effect is functionally the same as it was in vanilla. But I never see anyone talk about how silly it is! Cast it in Twisted Rune, it's hilarious. Within the scope of SCS I don't think there's any spellcaster-focused encounter I wouldn't use it on, which is really boringly overpowered.

• Spellstrike - removed both spell failure effects

Similar rationale to HW.

The second 50% spell failure will stack with HW Deafness and produce 100% spell failure, in theory disabling an enemy caster for as long as you have memorisations. My SCS Kangaxx fight went like this: his contingencies go off, I go Pierce Magic, Spellstrike, HW and now he can't do anything. Second form, True Sight then do the same thing again. :crazyeyes: (note Demilich soul trap is currently broken in SCS, so he can't do much besides cast)

• Dispelling Screen - affects caster only

In the context of SR alone, I think it would be okay as a party effect if the casting time were increased. In the context of my own setup with the SCS-IWD spells too, you get to buff so much that being dispelled is the main way to lose fights, and it's simply too risk-free to be able to repeatedly protect your non-spellcasters from anything short of a dispel sequencer.