IR V3 - List of changes from V2 to V3

Demivrgvs

What about doing something to the random loot? Getting a scroll of pierce magic from a ghast is perhaps a bit too much?

Cheers

There is a very nice component in the Aurora mod that fixes this kind of problems.

What about doing something to the random loot? Getting a scroll of pierce magic from a ghast is perhaps a bit too much?

Cheers

There is a very nice component in the Aurora mod that fixes this kind of problems.

I know, but other parts of Aurora is implemented into IR3, so why not this?

Cheers

Cheers

Cheers

I am all for that myself.

I install Aurora only for that component. :)

Eh, what else in the Aurora mod did IR slurp up? ;)
I am all for that myself.

I install Aurora only for that component. :)

I see how it is with you, you traitor :p. Heh :p. Though I guess I should be flattered since I spent quite a bit of time on that component... and it is as far as I recall primarily my work, as compared with the most excellent main component and other subcomponents which are the work of Ardanis, Bookwyrme and other excellent modders (why you would disdain their work I don't know but I guess this isn't the right forum for that).

Along the same lines though, Salk... you have some unreleased and vaguely item-related tweaks Ardanis and I have helped you with. Why not let IR slurp those up too?

Btw, I'm not being merely facetious... I'm just saying that sometimes it makes sense for mods to combine efforts and sometimes it doesn't.

Eh, what else in the Aurora mod did IR slurp up? :p
Well, I wasn't even aware Aurora mod did anything else than adding a new merchant with a bunch of new boots (I've just read its readme 1 minute ago for the first time in my life), and despite the huge time I spent modding with Ardanis he never mentioned to me he did most of that mod (or at least I don't remember him mentioning it). Items prices were part of IR since V1, as well as few related things such as removing reputation's discount and tweaking charisma's effect on prices, and all of that is an integral part of IR imo. Long story short, it's not like IR tries to slurp anything, it's just that Revisions mod (in theory) are destined to cover almost everything (items, spells, classes, quests - a sort of new base platform as I think I told you ages ago during ours "overwriting vs patching" wars :p ).

Store Revisions was born in this very forum 2 years ago (see here), as I suggested it expanding a smaller concept/tweak Ardanis was going to work on. Fortunately, he accepted to code that component for me (dooming him to mod all other Revisions mod with me when Mike left :) ), and he further expanded it on his own to the point of becoming so huge it could just as well be a separate mod indeed.

The thing is: IR needs Store Revisions component anyway for so many reasons (e.g. all the item re-allocations) that I would never ship it without Ardanis' work, and it's not a big deal imo if such component (or any other part of IR) ends up making Aurora semi-redundant, is it?

P.S Back on topic, I and Ardanis discussed something about random loot, but I don't recall such discussion anymore. I'll discuss it with him as soon as I catch him on msn again. ;)

Btw, I'm not being merely facetious... I'm just saying that sometimes it makes sense for mods to combine efforts and sometimes it doesn't.
And I agree. I had serious doubts about how much stores gonna fit an item mod. Unfortunately, there's no choice - because IR's changes to items are often enough tied to their new placement.

Now, I suppose I could distill those key re-allocations from 400kb of other things, and effectively separate one from another. Do we want it to happen?

and despite the huge time I spent modding with Ardanis he never mentioned to me he did most of that mod (or at least I don't remember him mentioning it).
I coded most of the original content to be included, when it was 2007 in the street. After that the mod grew several times in size with almost no input from me.

P.S Back on topic, I and Ardanis discussed something about random loot, but I don't recall such discussion anymore. I'll discuss it with him as soon as I catch him on msn again.
I was suggesting to slightly randomize low-enchanted non-unique items in shops - quantity for legal merchants, and selection for fences. None seemed to like it.

Don't remember if I ever spoke about random loot however.

And I agree. I had serious doubts about how much stores gonna fit an item mod. Unfortunately, there's no choice - because IR's changes to items are often enough tied to their new placement.

Now, I suppose I could distill those key re-allocations from 400kb of other things, and effectively separate one from another. Do we want it to happen?

I don't think it's necessary.

I see how it is with you, you traitor :). Heh :p. Though I guess I should be flattered since I spent quite a bit of time on that component... and it is as far as I recall primarily my work, as compared with the most excellent main component and other subcomponents which are the work of Ardanis, Bookwyrme and other excellent modders (why you would disdain their work I don't know but I guess this isn't the right forum for that).

I have the utmost respect for every modder. I have some favourite ones (including you, silly half-orc!) but modding-wise I am only interested in some specific modifications. Example, I am sure there are excellent NPCs mods for Baldur's Gate but I will not play any because it's never been my cup of tea. But in the future, who knows?

Along the same lines though, Salk... you have some unreleased and vaguely item-related tweaks Ardanis and I have helped you with. Why not let IR slurp those up to?

Well, the only modifications that I asked you and Ardanis to help me and that have with items to do is just an alternate THAC0 proficency system. I partecipated to the IR discussion about it and I happened to not agree fully with the result so I just came with my own customization.

The other mod is Cursed Items Revision but they are conceptually incompatible. To coexist, the user must comment out cursed items modified by IR before installing it.

Sorry for the OT!

Absolutely not.

Well, I wasn't even aware Aurora mod did anything else than adding a new merchant with a bunch of new boots (I've just read its readme 1 minute ago for the first time in my life), and despite the huge time I spent modding with Ardanis he never mentioned to me he did most of that mod (or at least I don't remember him mentioning it).
I don't remember him mentioning he did "most" of the mod either (until the last post). He is one of three main authors, but even 1/3 does not equal "most" - certainly Bookwyrme did most of the actual dialogue writing before either GeN1e/Ardanis or I got involved. However, he did do a significant amount of work on the mod and pretty much always has, which is why comments like this are bizarre:
After that [2007] the mod grew several times in size with almost no input from me.
This is so not true it's almost not even funny. You originally coded and helped revise the random item scripting in 2009. You approved merging Store Prices into Aurora ("That probably is a good move." -GeN1e 8-June-2009) and helped recode the similar components, you coded at least half the Quest Rewards component after that, you wrote and coded pretty much all the upgrade routine, you wrote crossmod content for Lava less than a year ago, and only three weeks ago you helped review content for a new component. "Almost no input"? :p:D Sure you may have disappeared for a bit at some point due to your NWN2 phase or whatever it was (:p) just like I disappeared for a while due to thesis work, but you've been fairly constantly involved with the mod even longer than I have.

Now if you wanted to move your pricing components into some other mod, that's your call, but why not at least tell the mod where you knew it was already housed? At least it'd help us solve some head-scratching bug reports about people's prices multiplying out of control (and we thought it was just Hard Times messing things up). I'm not trying to start an argument about Aurora or some mod vs. that in some other mod's forum (don't know why we would argue about such facts as who did what when anyway, since they're pretty well documented). I'm just saying redundancy is bad for mod maintenance in general. I hope at least if you've put analogous components in another mod you've auto-skipped them if the components are already installed via another mod. Surely we can do the same in Aurora (now that we know about it - I had no idea).

Items prices were part of IR since V1, as well as few related things such as removing reputation's discount and tweaking charisma's effect on prices, and all of that is an integral part of IR imo. Long story short, it's not like IR tries to slurp anything
I see those mentioned in your readme (which I also am reading for the first time ;)) but nothing about store prices in general (i.e. the components already in Aurora). Which have to do with modding store files rather than item files. On a somewhat related note, why does it look like the latest version of your mod is hosted on mediafire or something? Yeah I know it can be a hassle getting mods updated on G3 (as opposed to SHS where you can usually do it yourself) but still, those adware hosting sites suck.
P.S Back on topic, I and Ardanis discussed something about random loot, but I don't recall such discussion anymore. I'll discuss it with him as soon as I catch him on msn again.
I was suggesting to slightly randomize low-enchanted non-unique items in shops - quantity for legal merchants, and selection for fences. None seemed to like it.
I might like it... *if* it doesn't duplicate something that already exists. Doesn't Item Randomiser or Hard Times do something like that?

Edit:

Now, I suppose I could distill those key re-allocations from 400kb of other things, and effectively separate one from another.
400kb? :) That's almost the size of the entire Infinity Animations .exe patch, twice the size of Aurora's main component and half the size of Level 1NPCs (which is a complete and utter monstrosity of code). What, did you write it in Russian or something? I'm not one to trash code just on its length, I'm just wondering. At least I'm sure you've patched things properly (as I'm sure you'd also agree that overwriting stores would be a phenomenomally foolish, possibly even game-breaking move).
After that [2007] the mod grew several times in size with almost no input from me.
Well, that's true. I left the modding scene in the mid 2007 for a year after doing the WeiDU part, and when I returned the mod was like thrice in size.

Now if you wanted to move your pricing components into some other mod, that's your call, but why not at least tell the mod where you knew it was already housed? At least it'd help us solve some head-scratching bug reports about people's prices multiplying out of control (and we thought it was just Hard Times messing things up).
Hey, there's a reason why v3 is called "beta" :)

Among the other bugs, I also forgot to mention in readme that this component is roughly equal to installing 67%/150% (recommended setup) Aurora's components.

I'm just saying redundancy is bad for mod maintenance in general.
I'm not sure that's redundancy... IR's mark-ups are handmade, as opposed to Aurora's more global approach.

I might like it... *if* it doesn't duplicate something that already exists. Doesn't Item Randomiser or Hard Times do something like that?
I'll check on Hard Times then.

400kb? That's almost the size of the entire Infinity Animations .exe patch, twice the size of Aurora's main component and half the size of Level 1NPCs (which is a complete and utter monstrosity of code). What, did you write it in Russian or something? I'm not one to trash code just on its length, I'm just wondering. At least I'm sure you've patched things properly (as I'm sure you'd also agree that overwriting stores would be a phenomenomally foolish, possibly even game-breaking move).
Check item_rev/components/store_revisions.tpa, it leads to the rest of files.

Wrote it in ADD_STORE_ITEM. Though effectively I do overwrite the entire file almost 100%, technically that remains a patch, leaving mod-added items intact (unless they change existing stacks/charges).

Well, that's true. I left the modding scene in the mid 2007 for a year after doing the WeiDU part, and when I returned the mod was like thrice in size.
Yeah, well at that point the BAMs weren't even created, so what do you expect? Code (and text in general), no matter how complex, can always be a lot smaller than graphics, music, etc.
Hard Times is Tutu only.
Ascension64 converted it to BGT like two years ago. I thought you knew more about these things than I did :).

Archived