NWN 2 Baldur's gate remake

MichaelFurlong

Hey all. I recently got NWN 2 and I was looking over modules and while it hasn't been released yet a Mod of Baldur's gate (and icewind dale) is in the works for a few years now and they seem to have alot of it done. Some of the screenshots look pretty good. Now while I know NWN 2 has issues, would any of the modders here contemplate moving their work from the infinity engine to NWN?

I love playing in the BG2 infinity engine (the artwork is beautiful), and I always have a infinity engine game going at any one time, but the chance to play BG and/or IWD containing the best content from the best modules would be quite an opportunity.

I also noticed that their is a BG mod starting up in the DA engine, is there an advantage in using the DA engine as opposed to the NWN2 engine? On that note, have there been other attempts to port BG to other engines and if so did any actually get anything done?

Other than slightly better graphics and the ease of making cinematics, DA isn't really that much better. The interface is a little ridiculous and it doesn't use the proper combat system if you wanted to really properly port a BG mod over.

NWN2 is too unstable in my opinion to try such a large endeavor but there are people who will/can do it.

I don't think it's *ugly*

It is when you compare it to games which needs similiar or weaker PC. Personally I do prefer hi-quality 2D (BG2's wasn't at Bioware's best - IWD was; but still BG is far better than graphics in NWN series). Hey, everything is nicer than NWN1's animations!

There is actually Bg1 conversion to NWN2 going, and had been going pretty much ever since NWN2 came out. You can check their threads on Bioware NWN2 modding forum, they have like Thread 9 there. In a bout of unsubstantiniated optimism about my abilities I even asked them if they were interested in discussing BG1NPC content included. That was a long time ago though :thumbsup:

Bioware had nothing to do with Icewind Dale other than loaning on the BG2 version Infinity Engine, with a few things stripped down of course.

Any conversions of making the old IE games with any new game engine is just a waste of time. It would be a large task that would require a large amount of people working on it daily. Better to put your resources into making a mod or something simple.

I swear people don't read OPs, I didnt ask if anyone was THINKING of porting BG 1 to NWN2 nor whether doing so is a waste of time. I said it is ALREADY being done, and they seem to have alot of work done on it.

I was asking if any of the people who have mods created for BG1 in the infinity engine would think of porting them to the NWN2 engine as the current project is focused soley on the vanilla BG game (though I think another member was working on TOTSC)

As for graphics, NWN2 are okay but it doesn't seem the most stable of systems (the whole shite about not implementing multiple cores properly for example), but it is pretty. The weapon and armour graphics is a bit dodgy at times though, and I still don't like 3d portraits. As for BG vs IWD, then IWD is the better looking in my opinion. Especially the the tomb areas (the map where Kreslack is located, shadow vale I think).

People read your OP. People also have thoughts and opinions of their own and they are free to express them here if they wish to do so, just as you are doing. If you have a specific question and don't appreciate it going the slightest bit off topic from the OP, then I would do some research on modders that have done BG1 mods and pm them directly intead of getting upset here.

I was asking if any of the people who have mods created for BG1 in the infinity engine would think of porting them to the NWN2 engine as the current project is focused soley on the vanilla BG game (though I think another member was working on TOTSC)

People talk casually of "porting mods" like it's a simple matter of doing graphics conversions. This might be the case for porting texture mods from one engine that uses 3D animations to another similar engine, but it isn't that way for vanilla Baldur's Gate mods. The engine is too dissimilar. If you wanted to remake BG1 mods for NWN2, you'd have to know how to mod both games.

Something like BG1 NPC for a NWN2 Baldur's Gate mod would be theoretically possible, if someone were willing to go through the work involved, but adding new NPCs to the game would be challenging, to say the least. It would be up to the BG modders in question whether they wanted to learn to mod in a new engine or not.

As someone with a BG1 mod who has also modded NWN2 (though my BG1 mod uses the BG2 engine with Tutu or BGT), I couldn't say whether I'd be willing to port it to NWN2. The amount of work involved would be staggering.

To make it clear.

MichaelFurlong: Yup, I've also wanted to write that you're not the center of world. -.-

As someone with a BG1 mod who has also modded NWN2 (though my BG1 mod uses the BG2 engine with Tutu or BGT), I couldn't say whether I'd be willing to port it to NWN2. The amount of work involved would be staggering.

... and probably not worth anything. Because people who want to play BG2, they're just playing BG2 and that's enough for them. AD&D system for many players is treated as far better than 3rd edition. Also, Infinity Games has unique charm (hey, a lot of people are still modding them) so... ruining that in crappy 3D, soulless graphic?

Mm, to you? :suspect:

:rofl:

Well, porting does look like a waste of time to me. I know about old games being sometimes ported onto new engines by fans, but is NWN2 that much better than IE? It's 3ed, which is a great plus, but I think many would agree that BG gonna lose some of it's spirit.

Archived