Version 5 Bug Reports

I'm inclined to think we ought to offer a tweak to replace Protagonist with Player1 in the ice-tutu-tweaks. I think the case for replacing it with LastTalkedTo is pretty conclusive in the core converter, but there's a serious case that it will suit various people (me for a start, come to think of it) to have the option of it being the other way around.

In any case, handling Protagonist is probably best handled (I'd have thought) in the core converter rather than as a fix, because it's a very easy change there and (again, I'd have thought) quite a fiddly one in the fixpack, and it's not game-critical.

I've already bodged some code to change it in dialogue files (just a simple text replacement) and I'm using it in my playthrough, but yeah, there's no reason to not offer the alternative who want to play with more of a special Player1.

Mucking about Dragon's Eye at the moment. Paladin's immunity to disease does not suppress the diseased icon. One of the sword spiders near Everain's body was standing in place, playing its attack sounds and animation over and over (other sword spiders were fine). Once it could see an actual enemy it behaved normally.

Bombardier beetles suck.

Alright, tested ar3502 on both engines. Rest spawn blocks are byte-identical on the two area files and used a L1 fighter with identical stats in both tests. Rest block indicates 30 encounter probability with three possible rest monsters--temple guardians, skeletons with ranged weapons, or skeletons with melee weapons. In both cases I tried to rest 21 times.

IWD: 16 successful rests, TG once, melee skeletons twice, ranger skellies twice. ~24% encounter rate, decently in line considering the sample size.

IWD-in-BG2: 3 successful rests, 8 melee skeletons, 8 temple guardians, 2 ranged skeletons. 86% encounter rate.

I tested my first wild guess as to the difference (rolling for every monster listed, instead of once overall) but that didn't jive. For example, I also test 21 rests in...

ar3501 (25% chance, two possible monsters): 2 rests, 12 melee skeletons, 7 ranged skeletons (90% encounter rate)

ar3503 (30% chance, one monster): 2 rests, 19 temple guards (also 90%)

ar1301 (De'arnise keep, 5% chance, one monster): 15 rests, 6 monsters (29% rate)

It just looks like the BG2 engine wildly inflates the encounter rate. We're going to have to adjust encounter rates down to make it reasonable in the conversion but (short of someone volunteering to compile large numbers of data points) we're going to have to guesstimate here.

I've finished chapter 3 - no visible bugs except for map crashes, but I just learnt not to use M button. (No bugs, but I use CTRL-Y, so my tests are obviously not conclusive). Resting rate in the dungeons seems to be even better than resting rate in the city of Athkatla, strangely enough.

One small problem, though(don't know if it can be fixed): the game video, specifically the one when you ask Larrel to divine through the Heartstone Gem. I play at moderate sound volume, but even at maximum volume, I could barely hear anything in the video(though I hear everything else in the game just fine). I wonder if it's fixable.

(I also plan to release IWD NPC for IWD-in-BG2 beta when I'm done with the test, so future IWD-in-BG2 testers would possibly have more fun testing it. By "release" I just mean to post two threads with the links, here and at PPG IWD NPC forum, while stressing heavily that IWD-in-BG2 is still a testing beta - if it's okay, of course).

I've finished chapter 3 - no visible bugs except for map crashes, but I just learnt not to use M button. (No bugs, but I use CTRL-Y, so my tests are obviously not conclusive). Resting rate in the dungeons seems to be even better than resting rate in the city of Athkatla, strangely enough.

Are you still getting map crashes even with the latest patch?

One small problem, though(don't know if it can be fixed): the game video, specifically the one when you ask Larrel to divine through the Heartstone Gem. I play at moderate sound volume, but even at maximum volume, I could barely hear anything in the video(though I hear everything else in the game just fine). I wonder if it's fixable.

Is that the movie, or the start-of-chapter text? (The latter could be fixed relatively straightforwardly; the former, probably not.)

(I also plan to release IWD NPC for IWD-in-BG2 beta when I'm done with the test, so future IWD-in-BG2 testers would possibly have more fun testing it. By "release" I just mean to post two threads with the links, here and at PPG IWD NPC forum, while stressing heavily that IWD-in-BG2 is still a testing beta - if it's okay, of course).

Fine by me.

RE: Video. The movie, I'm afraid, with the book and pages. Okay, I thought I'd just let you know.

RE: fixpack. If I may offer a suggestion, I'd post a thread that there's a fixpack or put the latest link for the fixpack in the first post of 'Version 5 available for testing' thread or edit the thread's title or something. Because I totally had no idea that there's a fixpack(just got back from Egypt, so haven't been monitoring the bug thread). Now I do, so I'll go and install it and check the map thing. Thank you!

(EDIT: neither the 'v5 available for testing' thread nor the fixpack address keymap.ini/other missing files issue yet. Just pointing out that it was a very serious problem for me, and it might be a problem for other unexperienced or forgot-how-to-run-it users).

Installed the fixpack, no map troubes for now - thank you again.

AR9201 - Once I enter the Great Hall, Wylfdene "has nothing to say" to me. His dialog fails to trigger. Asking a tribesman, I can ask which way the dragon spirit fled. Talking to Hjollder, he responds with his Burial Isle dialog.

Same here, so I cannot complete HoW for the time being, I'm afraid.

AR9101 - After sending Ambere Dunn home, Hobart vanishes as well. I had to CLUA him in to get to TotLM. Since I can't continue in HoW...

I can't see the quest-giver for TotLM in my game at all. Ever since my party members entered the Lonelywood tavern, they haven't seen him. So, TotLM is unavailable for now.

Also, maybe that's an odd little issue, but when I used Tab to highlight all items in the Lonelywood tavern, there was an odd item highlighted in the upper-left corner of the Lonelywood tavern map(not available by walking). Same thing with the upper right corner of the Lonelywood map - lots of highlighted objects(but my party can't approach them).

Upper Dorn's Deep, chapter 4:

AR6002 - exit to AR6003 is unreachable.

AR6003 - Talked to Saablic, killed Krilag and took his badge, but when I returned to Saablic he failed to notice. SPRITE_IS_DEADChief was at 6, needs to be 1. Do all Neo-Orog Chieftains increment this global (there are several in AR6002)? If so, another variable my me needed for this.

I haven't encountered any of these two problems with the latest fixpack. That's good, right?

Wyrm's Tooth, chapter 5:

with the fixpack everything seems to be in order: area transitions work, the salamander does not attack Vera out of turn, and the cold in the aquarium does not cause the party to attack.

However, I keep getting a strange issue: each time I Alt-tab between the game and Windows(sometimes once, sometimes a few times), the font in the game is replaced by an unreadable combination of white points, so I can no longer read the game dialogue and messages. I have searched in this thread, but haven't found similar reports. It never happened with my BG2 games, so maybe there's another file I need to copy to IWDTutu directory? I just don't know which one.

Lower Dorn's Deep:

All went well(I didn't finish Guello/Beorn/Tarnelm's quest properly, but it's not done properly in the end, either; also, words of fire and cleansing continue to appear over brother Perdiem's head even after he's come to his senses), until the final stairs - the badges clicked in place, but the entry point remains unaccessible, as confirmed by grogerson earlier.

So, unfortunately, I cannot(or, rather, an average gamer cannot) complete the game, yet, so I think I'll wait for the next batch of fixes before releasing the beta IWD NPC, as it probably wouldn't make sense now.

@ Kulyok: Welcome back! Hope you enjoyed travels.

Regarding the Great Hall, talk to the Announcer behind and left of Wylfdene. It's his dialog that didn't trigger (should have been fixed with fixpack 2a).

Hobart may be hidden beneath the firepit animation. After installing fixpack 2a I saw a piece of his head there. Run your cursor around it and see if he flags. Otherwise, CreateCreature("hobart").

I have always had your game font problem. Should have spoken sooner. (DavidW/CamDawg: Is there a fix that will get me something legible?)

The steps in the Fallen Temple should have been fixed with fixpack 2a. A global was mentioned earlier in this thread (I haven't gotten around to checking it)...

As for your IWDNPC beta, I'm up for it, game fully functional or not.

@ DavidW/CamDawg: Any word on a fix for the Wylfdene/Icasaract cutscene? I'd like to finish my rush run for area access/exit and cutscene checks through HoW.

Archived