Version 5 Bug Reports

If you manually set i#void_script back to 0, I'm sure the staircase will work.

Verified, it now works, and just to let you know the transition point is a bit difficult to reach. Start from the wrong spot and you'll either not move or you'll get "You must gather your party..."

Regarding Three White Doves, is there a weapon in BG2 that's specific to destroying undead similar to the Mace of Disruption? Maybe they have a code you could use.

Edit: @ DavidW: I did see some errors as both IWDinBG2 games installed, though they don't show in either debug file, IWD or IWDinBG2 directories. And they ran so fast I had to stop the scrolling of the DOS window. They all read NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS: Core Animation Converter. Specifics followed, and I'm not sure if they are expected or not in such a large conversion. Unfortunately I have little more I can offer of what I saw.

Dragon's Eye Level 2:

Boring beetles move too fast.

The troll and wraith spider den on the west side (near the lizardman shaman trio) all attacked at once. Not vanilla. They should make no calls to each other.

Trouble with trolls. Some would not die (had to CTRL+Y them, twice if they got back up). Fire would not work, don't know about acid.

Flaming oil jars produce a summoning cloud animation when used (as in the Great Gazib and the ogre) instead of fire, though the damage is still there.

Ooh boy, some fun mucking around timing animation speeds. Here's the low down (PC speed is 9, for comparison):

Name				  Value  IWD Speed  Conversion Speed  Difference
Wight, Barrow		 29457  16		  7				9
Belhifet			  32552  7		  14				7
Elemental, Earth	  32531  7		  14				7
Sahuagin, Large	   32547  7		  14				7
Animated Plate		32519  7		  13				6
Barbarian Shaman 1	32566  7		  13				6
Drowned Dead		  32512  4		  10				6
Golem, Iron		   32516  7		  13				6
Umber Hulk, Vodanyoi  32529  7		  13				6
Barbarian Warrior 3   32524  7		  12				5
Creeping Doom		 32526  7		  12				5
Verbeeg			   32523  7		  12				5
Giant, Fire		   32574  5		   9				4
Sahuagin, Small	   32521  7		  11				4
Svirfneblin, axe	  32517  7		  11				4
Yeti				  32522  7		  11				4
Beetle, Boring		32527  7		  10				3
Elemental, Fire	   29456  7		  10				3
Elemental, Water	  29472  7		  10				3
Remorhaz			  32520  7		   4				3
Seer				  32525  5		   2				3
Animated Plate 2	  32551  7		   9				2
Barbarian Warrior 1   32548  7		   9				2
Barbarian Warrior 2   32553  7		   9				2
Barbarian Shaman 2	32556  7		   9				2
Barbarian Shaman 3	30467  7		   9				2
Troll, Scrag		  32562  7		   9				2
Giant, Frost		  32558  7		   9				2
Harpy				 32560  7		   9				2
Poquelin			  32567  7		   9				2
Svirfneblin, no axe   32559  7		   9				2
Wylfdene			  32570  7		   9				2
Animated Plate 3	  29441  7		   7				0
Arundel			   32561  7		   7				0

This is just a table for the converted animations comparing their IWD and conversion speeds; I didn't bother with the 300 or so existing BG2 and copied IWD animations. I'll be coding a patch for v3.

Testing: Created a series of rings with bonuses or penalties to speed. Then equipped greater and greater negative speed rings to a PC until it was immobile to establish the party's base speed (9 in both engines). Then brought in a green-circled creature of each animation type and simply raced it and a PC across the screen. I adjusted the PC's speed via the speed rings until I got a match.

Edit: @ DavidW: I did see some errors as both IWDinBG2 games installed, though they don't show in either debug file, IWD or IWDinBG2 directories. And they ran so fast I had to stop the scrolling of the DOS window. They all read NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS: Core Animation Converter. Specifics followed, and I'm not sure if they are expected or not in such a large conversion. Unfortunately I have little more I can offer of what I saw.

These are not expected, and don't show up on my version. This suggests something's seriously wrong with the animation conversion on your system in particular. I'm unfortunately not entirely sure what to suggest (you've got a Full Install of IWD, I assume)? If anyone else gets similar problems, please let me know.

Testing: Created a series of rings with bonuses or penalties to speed. Then equipped greater and greater negative speed rings to a PC until it was immobile to establish the party's base speed (9 in both engines). Then brought in a green-circled creature of each animation type and simply raced it and a PC across the screen. I adjusted the PC's speed via the speed rings until I got a match.

Is it really the case that the party can systematically outrace enemies? It looks as if 7 is the default speed for monsters, so it's weird that the party's is still 9 (I believe you, I'm just puzzled.)

Is it really the case that the party can systematically outrace enemies? It looks as if 7 is the default speed for monsters, so it's weird that the party's is still 9 (I believe you, I'm just puzzled.)

I was surprised as well, but yeah, party speed is nine and monster default appears to be seven. I think it's just less noticeable in IWD since everyone's a lot slower.

These are not expected, and don't show up on my version. This suggests something's seriously wrong with the animation conversion on your system in particular. I'm unfortunately not entirely sure what to suggest (you've got a Full Install of IWD, I assume)? If anyone else gets similar problems, please let me know.

I think the one item with the animation conversions is Wylfdene's death animation, merely because I don't think it's slotted where it's expected in IWD. If you control-y Wylfdene in IWD he just disappears, suggesting there's no actual death animation (mbaide.bam ?); when he dies properly in the cutscene with the Seer in IWD he has an animation where he throws his giant axe down and falls over (mbaisl.bam) that doesn't seem like it made it over in the conversion. In the conversion he turns in to Lavok when he dies, whether in the cutscene or ctrl-y.

Catching up on some stuff before I have some dinner:

Spectral Knights move too fast, and when they fall there is a momentary animation of a golem.
My party (second install) finished the Temple of the Forgotten God. The only thing I noticed was that verbeegs move too fast, and when they fall I have a dead leopard in front of me.
AR9100 - CTD outside the mayor's house. Suspect it's because of the Purvis animation, since I hear him go invisible and when I reveal where he should be the game crashed.
Boring beetles move too fast.

Well, the creature speeds are fixed, but it's looking like the crashes and temporary animation changes are a bad conversion--what caused the bad animation conversion, I don't know.

Some creatures initially attack, but then return to their positions if you move too far away and they can't see you, or they begin wandering about. After some time they will attack again, but the period between the wandering and attacking states is rather long...

I've noticed this in a few places, as well. I think the return-to-save-location block in most scripts might be firing too often or too quickly. Perhaps IWD parsed at a slower speed or was more systematic in processing its queue.

Paladin Lay on Hands works, but Cure Disease doesn't. Don't know about the other special abilities.

I'll add this to my big 'check kits' list. I couldn't get my Inquisitor's special abilities or my thief snares to work.

AR9603 - I had two Angaar's in the camp. One near the entrance to the Great Hall, one outside the gate. The gate remained closed, though all dialogs worked fine. (This may have been a result of an increment not setting right since the killsword was used in the barbarian battle.)

I think this is a leftover from the i#_void_script issue, as it cuts off most of the area script in Wylfdene's tent and flubs a lot of variable sets.

Also the cutscene with Vaarglan and company hung. Dialog ran full, everyone appeared, Vaarglan put up his protection spell, and then the cutscene hung.

Sweet. Varglaan ActionOverrides himself, while he's running the cutscene, hanging the whole thing.

AR9602 - The random treasure (EXTRES5) did not appear on the altar behind Xactile.

EXTRES5 is supposed to be wisp or mourner. Looks like the we're just dropping wisp in there; except that wisp wasn't converted (I suspect it's the projectile) leaving the chest empty. I've converted wisp, but it's terrible right now--it's using a reduced color spray projectile. In IWD it uses a small color spray fan but with wowispt.bam for the balls (blue & white orbs instead of the multi-colored ones) but I'm not sure how to convert that in to IWD. The chest will now randomly contain wisp or mourner.

Working on the rest after some food.

I believe this is the rest of the outstanding bug reports. I'll be doing some final checks and bundling v3 momentarily, mainly because I'm not sure how much time I'll have next week.

AR9603 - The three waterkin elementals behind the ice golems were out of place, appearing over the stone of the floor instead of the pools.

They're placed correctly, it's just that BG2 is not as forgiving as IWD for placing creatures on impassable terrain so they get shifted to the nearest passable terrain. Every other pool and water body where they appear has a tiny blob on the search map of passable terrain for them; I've added the same in ar9603.

AR9604 - When Icasaract was beaten, the cutscene began. She did not fall, the "camera" panned over to the soul gem, but only part of it was visible on the edge of the screen, and the cutscene hung.

Most of the cutscenes in the final sequences refer to the gem's secondary DV; changing them to primary fixes most of the issues. The final cutscenes are missing a lot of their flashy visuals, but they are now functional.

The troll and wraith spider den on the west side (near the lizardman shaman trio) all attacked at once. Not vanilla. They should make no calls to each other.

Looks fine here, team assignments match TotL IWD. Teams 2, 4, 5, and 9 are all troll/spider combos; 6 is lizardmen and 3 is the Talonites and their trolls with a few monsters independent (beetles, phase spiders).

Trouble with trolls. Some would not die (had to CTRL+Y them, twice if they got back up). Fire would not work, don't know about acid.

I'm so *@#^@ sick of trolls from the BG2 Fixpack. I rewrote their death-revival script, tested it, and everything seems to be working.

Flaming oil jars produce a summoning cloud animation when used (as in the Great Gazib and the ogre) instead of fire, though the damage is still there.

Hmm, I'm getting the correct animation with this. Anyone else?

If you manually set i#void_script back to 0, I'm sure the staircase will work.

Verified, it now works, and just to let you know the transition point is a bit difficult to reach. Start from the wrong spot and you'll either not move or you'll get "You must gather your party..."

Thanks. I've shortened up the transition area to make this easier.

Regarding Three White Doves, is there a weapon in BG2 that's specific to destroying undead similar to the Mace of Disruption? Maybe they have a code you could use.

There are a couple of ways to insta-kill creatures, but there's only two that can do it based on the target's HD. One is slay (55), to which undead are immune, and the other is disintegrate, which causes a rash of other issues and is definitely not IWD behavior.

It may be better to remove the slay immunity and instead give undead immunity to the few spells and items that use it instead, but that's a long term goal. For now it'll do extra damage to undead.

Problems from Dragon's Eye, level 3: only the undead lieutenants seem to be problematic. They don't seem to want to attack, just stand there and get turned into dust.

As for trolls on level 2, I reran the final encounter (with the Talonite clerics). Think you could check the trolls? Between fire and acid arrows I was able to kill all the trolls, but some seemed immune to fire once down, or at least weren't killed by it. By the time the party reaches this level the only fire (14) and acid (9) arrows they have are from Erevain's body. There is little else in the way of acid or fire dealing equipment to be found.

Edit: You beat me to it, Cam! I really need to spend less time thinking about what I'm writing, and do it beforehand...

I think the one item with the animation conversions is Wylfdene's death animation, merely because I don't think it's slotted where it's expected in IWD. If you control-y Wylfdene in IWD he just disappears, suggesting there's no actual death animation (mbaide.bam ?); when he dies properly in the cutscene with the Seer in IWD he has an animation where he throws his giant axe down and falls over (mbaisl.bam) that doesn't seem like it made it over in the conversion. In the conversion he turns in to Lavok when he dies, whether in the cutscene or ctrl-y.

OK, got it.In IWD he doesn't have a proper death animation - his "sleep" animation is really the death one. It's a one-line fix if done before the converter runs (just copy and rename the sleep file) but a bit of a pain to do afterwards, so this is probably one to leave till the next iteration of the core converter.

(You could work around it by editing the cutscene to knock him unconscious, I guess, but I don't think it's worth the hassle.)

Edit: Cam, when you have a chance (if you haven't already) could you have a quick look at the "things I can't do" thread and see if you have any brainwaves for any of them?

OK, got it.In IWD he doesn't have a proper death animation - his "sleep" animation is really the death one. It's a one-line fix if done before the converter runs (just copy and rename the sleep file) but a bit of a pain to do afterwards, so this is probably one to leave till the next iteration of the core converter.

(You could work around it by editing the cutscene to knock him unconscious, I guess, but I don't think it's worth the hassle.)

Yeah, I think I'll just wait at this point as it's a cosmetic issue and won't cause any crashes.

Edit: Cam, when you have a chance (if you haven't already) could you have a quick look at the "things I can't do" thread and see if you have any brainwaves for any of them?

Well, if you and Nythrun have had a crack, there's probably not much I can add. Though I will say...

Summoned monsters don't appear as quickly as I'd like (there's a puff of smoke, then a two-second pause, then they're there.) I could fix this if I knew the BAM file for the "golden bubble" animation that plays when monsters are summoned, but I can't find it.

For some reason, the floor in certain areas (wooden floors, mostly) hides the selection circle of characters standing over it.

For the first, the golden bubble is spplanar.bam. The second is, I believe, the area animation layering issue that I fixed with v3.

Got the third beta, will check the HoW/TotL/IWD finale section now.

A question to you guys: now that a component for weapon styles is added, should I tell the players that they install IWD NPC for IWD-in-BG2

AFTER the core conversion and BEFORE the fixpack? Or something else? Because I've only added BG2-style proficiencies for IWD NPCs.

Okay, the game finale went smoothly, so I can say that the IWD campaign (without the expansions) was okay. However: after I watched IWD credits(couldn't skip them, obviously) and ToB credits(clicked on the button to stop these), my mouse pointer has disappeared. I had to exit the game and run it again in order to play it again.

A question to you guys: now that a component for weapon styles is added, should I tell the players that they install IWD NPC for IWD-in-BG2

AFTER the core conversion and BEFORE the fixpack? Or something else? Because I've only added BG2-style proficiencies for IWD NPCs.

Ultimately, I want the weapon proficiencies component shuffled off in to Tweaks, which would mean installation order would be the fairly sensible: core conversion - fixpack - IWD NPC - Tweaks. For now it's the much less sensible: core conversion - fixpack (fixes only) - IWD NPC - fixpack (weapon prof tweaks).

Archived