Version 5 Bug Reports

I reached Kuldahar last night. On the new install I found the party druid did not have the dialog option when talking to Ghereg the ogre in Kuldahar pass (see bard problem above). No problem with HP on generation. Also, when I talked to Arundel, his animation was that of a Drow mage (it's correct in my first installation).

Loading (an auto-)save in Kuldahar near Arundel's house started the neo-orog attack again. Has anyone else experienced this bug other than me?

Cam can correct me, but I can't see any obvious way in which the fixpack could have affected Arundel's animation, so I wonder if something's glitched in your install. It might be worth your posting your weidu.log file.

Yeah, no messing with any animations with the fixpack. The small reason being that I wasn't able to confirm any issues; the large reason being that I don't understand the animation conversion process and mapping at all. :)

Heh, items of type broken sword (38) are assumed by the BG2 engine to be familiars. The Shattered Blade of Aihonen (jhoswd1) has a 'Release Familiar' button. Same is true for the generic broken sword (misc56) but I don't think that's used anywhere ingame.

Two fireplaces in Easthaven homes (chap1) have bad layering, like the fire pit in the Whistling Gallows. I suspect this is going to be fairly common; if I can figure out a pattern & generic fix we may want to adjust the area converter.

Check scared kid's floating stringhead in Easthaven (refloating every second).

That's vanilla behaviour, as I recall. It's somewhat more annoying in the BG2 engine, to be sure, because the text turns up in the text window as well as floated. (There's a whole component in the core converter dedicated to making sure that you can't see float-text messages when the speaker is offscreen.)

Two fireplaces in Easthaven homes (chap1) have bad layering, like the fire pit in the Whistling Gallows. I suspect this is going to be fairly common; if I can figure out a pattern & generic fix we may want to adjust the area converter.

Ugh. :) Pretty much every fireplace in Kuldahar has this problem, and I suspect every other area animation will as well. If you play with foot circles always visible like I do you see it everywhere. Let's prod devSin about how the layering works, exactly, since he's the one who provided the fixes for Fixpack. I've got a vague idea, but if we're going to roll it in to the converter I want to make sure I understand it completely.

Some kit abilities appear to not be working. Paladin's detect/protection from evil, thief's set snare. Lathander abilities appear to be working, as does a ranger's charm (used no prob on Apsel's wolf).

We may want to shorten the travel area from the first to second floor in Arundel's home. Since it's crescent-shaped, you can stand in the middle of the semicircle, not on the stairs at all, and move up.

And yes, tundra yetis (32522) are too fast.

When yeti die, I get the sound of a mountain lion, and the dead body is likewise that of a mountain lion.

Hmm, working fine here. Any more details? Any one else experience this?

Actually the corpse appears more like a panther - a big, black feline body. Maybe this is gonna be my personal bug like the Kuldahar rest was in beta 4.

I'm not getting any visual issues, but I am getting incorrect sounds when I hit yeti--I thought it sounded like the skeleton warrior damage sound from BG2, but it could be the great cat sound.

The last item. When I returned to Kuldahar from the Vale, Temple or Dragon's Eye without the Heartstone, I would be warned "enemy sighted" though none were there. It's as though the Neo-orogs are being detected early. I suspect this and the hostile Arundel are related.

Started the Vale and came back for a rest--got the same thing.

David, I'm starting to strongly suspect that there's a bit for deactivated creatures in the area file. When I compare the Kuldahar Neo-Orogs in ar2100.are vs. my save game, bit 31 in the dword at actor + 0x40 (the 'time present' dword) has been changed (1 -> 0) on all of them.

The last item. When I returned to Kuldahar from the Vale, Temple or Dragon's Eye without the Heartstone, I would be warned "enemy sighted" though none were there. It's as though the Neo-orogs are being detected early. I suspect this and the hostile Arundel are related.

David, I'm starting to strongly suspect that there's a bit for deactivated creatures in the area file. When I compare the Kuldahar Neo-Orogs in ar2100.are vs. my save game, bit 31 in the dword at actor + 0x40 (the 'time present' dword) has been changed (1 -> 0) on all of them.

Help me out - what does this mean we ought to be doing? Do you mean we can avoid the script-implemented deactivation? That would be great.

Few bugs... I am still using the v5, as I cannot make the 2a fix work for some reason...

WeiDU v 22600 Log

setup-ice_tutu_fix.exe

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [c:\IW1BG2\icewindtutu\English\/DATA/AREA120B.cbf]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [C:\IW1BG2\IcewindTUTU\/DATA/AREA120B.cbf]

ERROR: BIFF [./DATA/AREA120B.BIF] cannot be loaded: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "./DATA/AREA120B.BIF")

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'

Resource [AR1202.wed] not found in KEY file:

[./chitin.key]

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR: [AR1202.ARE] -> [override/AR1202.ARE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("resource [AR1202.wed] not found for 'COPY'"))

ERROR Installing [Post-Install Fixpack v1 for Icewind Dale in BG2 v5 Beta], rolling back to previous state

[ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/UNSETSTR.10] SET_STRING uninstall info not found

Will uninstall 185 files for [iCE_TUTU_FIX/SETUP-ICE_TUTU_FIX.TP2] component 10.

Restoring backed-up [ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/DORRICK.dlg]

ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/DORRICK.dlg copied to override/DORRICK.dlg, 8741 bytes

Restoring backed-up [ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/DHJOLLDE.dlg]

ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/DHJOLLDE.dlg copied to override/DHJOLLDE.dlg, 12795 bytes

Restoring backed-up [ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/AR5002SR.bmp]

ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/AR5002SR.bmp copied to override/AR5002SR.bmp, 19920 bytes

Uninstalled 185 files for [iCE_TUTU_FIX/SETUP-ICE_TUTU_FIX.TP2] component 10.

Unable to Unlink [ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/READLN.10]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/READLN.10")

Unable to Unlink [ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/READLN.10.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/READLN.10.TEXT")

Ah, it's probably because of this or something...
To see if this sorts the problem (comment mostly aimed at Cam): edit iwd_in_bg2.tp2, component 155. After a couple of macros are defined, there's a COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP_GLOB block (around line 880) in which I've randomly left out ar11.* and ar12.*. Add them in, and delete all the other area references (not that it really matters if they're left in, but it'll run faster), then try installing component 155. (Copy it to a hotfix tp2 if you'd rather.)
As I didn't do that...

1) There is a code loop in the baldur.bcs:

IF
GlobalsGT("SPRITE_IS_DEADULIGAR","I#DV_ULIGAR")
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	IncrementGlobal("I#DV_ULIGAR","GLOBAL",1)
	IncrementGlobal("SPRITE_IS_DEADULIGAR","GLOBAL",1)
	Continue()
END

2) I was able to walk across the cave entrance in the area ar6001:

baldr024.jpg

As you said...

Well, here's a specific spot:
Jarno's issue in ar5002 is fixed--DavidW's algorithm to make transitions passable in the search maps just eroded the wall away a little too much. When you encounter these, try to take screenshots as I really don't see any other way to get them all.
I'll post pictures when I run across these... or other weird things.

Help me out - what does this mean we ought to be doing? Do you mean we can avoid the script-implemented deactivation? That would be great.

Alright, a little more info here. I set up a small test area, copied over a neo-orog from Kuldahar, gave it a simple script to set a variable based on IsActive, and the console'd the party in to the area. It was set up such that I could see the neo-orog from where the party appeared.

It turns out that the area bit was a red herring--however, setting bit 19 in the status dword (at 0x20) of the creature file can make it inactive. (Which concerns me... IESDP says this dword is related to states.ids, which suggests this bit actually means STATE_DISEASED, which now makes me wonder if STATE_DISEASED works, etc. etc. etc. More testing needed here, but I've already done my bit. (Ha!))

The saving grace is the one-second invisibility effect. Whether the creature becomes deactivated via script or via the bit in the creature file, it will generate bogus 'enemy sighted' messages on every return to the area (if the party is in visible range) after the brief invisibility effect wears off.

So, the good news is that the deactivate script is unnecessary as we can simply abuse the creature bit. The bad news is that, instead of the one-second invisibility effect, we probably need to equip a custom item that confers invisibility and then add a DestroyItem() call when the creature activates--unless you can think of a slicker/easier way to do this.

Between my two installs...

Back to the first one, solo with kill sword, I've reached all the way to the revealing of Icasaracht. First problem was that Angaar was not at the gate. I had to CLUA him in. Second problem was when Icasaracht kills the seer and flees Wyldene's body. The cutscene hung, probably another BCS problem. Give me the code and I'll fix it here. Everything else worked fine and now I'm closing in on the end. I'd like to get there and have all entrances/exits checked...

As for the second install, full party with boots of speed only, I'm ready to enter Kuldahar. Two items of note. First, the orc archer in AR2004 failed to go hostile when Uligar did. The second is more a major fix pack operation for later. With a bard as main character, and only then, I had the important XP quest options in Easthaven. Many dialog options have become dependent on CHARNAME, rather than whichever character talks.

So, the good news is that the deactivate script is unnecessary as we can simply abuse the creature bit. The bad news is that, instead of the one-second invisibility effect, we probably need to equip a custom item that confers invisibility and then add a DestroyItem() call when the creature activates--unless you can think of a slicker/easier way to do this.

What about messing with allegiance? Change all inactive hostile creatures to Neutral, and put an Enemy() command in the activation block (and a SetEnemyAlly(Myself,NEUTRAL) in any remaining deactivation blocks).

With a bard as main character, and only then, I had the important XP quest options in Easthaven. Many dialog options have become dependent on CHARNAME, rather than whichever character talks.

I can't recall if that's something I was aware of or not - it sounds familiar. I think I actually prefer it that way (better fit to the way BG2 works) but I guess that's not a reason to include it in the core conversion.

What about messing with allegiance? Change all inactive hostile creatures to Neutral, and put an Enemy() command in the activation block (and a SetEnemyAlly(Myself,NEUTRAL) in any remaining deactivation blocks).

Sure, we just need to not do that universally (i.e. Vaarglan in Lonelywood).

With a bard as main character, and only then, I had the important XP quest options in Easthaven. Many dialog options have become dependent on CHARNAME, rather than whichever character talks.

I can't recall if that's something I was aware of or not - it sounds familiar. I think I actually prefer it that way (better fit to the way BG2 works) but I guess that's not a reason to include it in the core conversion.

We need to swap Protagonist for LastTalkedToBy in all the dialogues. In IWD, as I recall, Protagonist represented whomever was interacting with the actor speaking/running the script, whereas in BG2 it's just a synonym for Player1. I don't think it turns up in scripts, but we'd need to adjust those as well.

Few bugs... I am still using the v5, as I cannot make the 2a fix work for some reason...
WeiDU v 22600 Log

setup-ice_tutu_fix.exe

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [c:\IW1BG2\icewindtutu\English\/DATA/AREA120B.cbf]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [C:\IW1BG2\IcewindTUTU\/DATA/AREA120B.cbf]

ERROR: BIFF [./DATA/AREA120B.BIF] cannot be loaded: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "./DATA/AREA120B.BIF")

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'

Resource [AR1202.wed] not found in KEY file:

[./chitin.key]

ERROR: [AR1202.ARE] -> [override/AR1202.ARE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("resource [AR1202.wed] not found for 'COPY'"))

ERROR Installing [Post-Install Fixpack v1 for Icewind Dale in BG2 v5 Beta], rolling back to previous state

[ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/UNSETSTR.10] SET_STRING uninstall info not found

Will uninstall 185 files for [iCE_TUTU_FIX/SETUP-ICE_TUTU_FIX.TP2] component 10.

Restoring backed-up [ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/DORRICK.dlg]

ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/DORRICK.dlg copied to override/DORRICK.dlg, 8741 bytes

Restoring backed-up [ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/DHJOLLDE.dlg]

ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/DHJOLLDE.dlg copied to override/DHJOLLDE.dlg, 12795 bytes

Restoring backed-up [ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/AR5002SR.bmp]

ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/AR5002SR.bmp copied to override/AR5002SR.bmp, 19920 bytes

Uninstalled 185 files for [iCE_TUTU_FIX/SETUP-ICE_TUTU_FIX.TP2] component 10.

Unable to Unlink [ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/READLN.10]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/READLN.10")

Unable to Unlink [ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/READLN.10.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "ice_tutu_fix/backup/10/READLN.10.TEXT")

Ah, it's probably because of this or something...

Hmm. The only bit of code that would look at ar1202.wed is DavidW's stuff to fix the entrances in ar11** and ar12** and that hasn't changed since version 1.

I did have some problems myself. I have three components from tweaks installed after the Fixpack. If I tried to re-install Fixpack it would uninstall the three tweaks and then gave me nearly the identical error message. If I first uninstalled the tweaks myself and then re-installed fixpack it worked fine.

Archived