iOS port of GemRB (iPad/iPhone)

SyntaxError

Hello all, firstly fantastic project, the only thing i would Jailbreak my ipad for!

Have some feedback (and one issue that hopefully someone can help with)

Installation Feedback (Ipad2, iOS 5.01, Absinthe Jailbreak)

1) I installed BG1 + Sword Coast + Widescreen Mod on my PC, made sure it ran correctly at 1024x768

2) Zipped the root directory C:\BG1\ to a zip file (bg1.bg1) and synced it via itunes

First feedback - when you click on install within the app, the progress bar is not working as mentioned above, so you have no idea whether its crashed or not, and as it took about 2hours to unzip, i ended up having to do it twice.

Second feedback - the gamepath variable had to be manually edited for capitalization (it had put in bg1 instead of BG1, and that didn't work)

Third feedback - i can confirm the portrait / landscape issue mentioned above.

Fourth feedback - you CAN actually edit the cfg file within the app, its just that sometimes you have to quit and re-enter to get it to work. Otherwise, no amount of putting your finger on the text will cause the keyboard to appear.

Now hopefully someone can help me with my issue! I don't know if its something to do with the widescreen mod, but I can't see any video or menu screens. The log file indicates that the video has been initialised, but i can't see anything on screen. I can hear the movies playing, and when we get to the menu, i can hear my mouse clicks and the game music.

Anyone had a similar issue? I'm using the latest build from the buildbot

BTW thanks for all the hard work!

I was wondering what that "save" button was doing... I was copying the cfg everytime to make changes... now I know it's an IOS5 issue.

@ THFourteen, when you did not apply the wide screen path was BG1 acting up on you then? (Like flashing screens ?)

For the video's.. I've had that before... starting to wonder if that's an IOS5 issue as well..

Since I had a lot of problems, and it seems that IOS4 doesn't have all these weird problems.

Think the whole Path problem, is maybe an IOS5 issue as well..

THFourteen: if you dont have GemRB-ios-v0.7.0-143-ged51954.ipa or later then that is why. there was a brief period where intro videos were breaking the display. (disabling the starting movies would allow you to play, but your really ought download a later version.

i suspect path problems are an ios 5 issue as well. i havent yet tested installation under ios 5, but then again if only cd paths were a problem i have taken those out entirely in favor of letting the core handle that.

hmmm trying to install and play disc version of bg2 on ios 5 yields a crash, but not on ios 4.

Edit: very odd GOG version doesnt crash but CD version does... and its weird crash too! the accessing the display pixels throws a bad access crash...

time to checkout from before I reordered the core loading sequence to see if somehow that is leading here.

when you say "same installation on pc" do you mean gemrb or simply running the IWD.exe?

BTW i have been able to get GOG games to work without hassle (ie automatically)

So here is the case:

1) (just an additional feedback) I run the mobile gembr on IOS5 and the problems mentioned above are all recent for me too.

2) The IWD on my computer was on win7 64bit and without gembr, simply running the exe (I can not use doors either which is a strange issue) So I think I should try the gembr

Oh, and it's an old 2cd version, with Heart of Winter installed on it from the 3rd cd. this was zipped and transferred to the ios gembr.

3) A new issue on my ipad 1 (IOS5) that with a dualclass character lvl3-lvl3 I can not make the 4. level up. The level up screen loads in, it's clickable, seems to react, but when I try the accept button nothing happens. I get stucked on this screen and can not play any more. (I think for a temporary solution I'll play the "savegame with iPhone Browser to computer and send it back" trick)

Starting to think that IOS5 broke a lot of things in the program. I'm glad Syntax is running into the odd issues that I and others are having :)

Just hope they can fix it overtime..

btw. Why install Widescreen for BG1, did it make a difference ?

If so. what settings did you use for the screen size ? 1024 x 768 ?

@ THFourteen, when you did not apply the wide screen path was BG1 acting up on you then? (Like flashing screens ?)

Not sure, as it takes 2 hours to unzip, i would rather not wait again to find out if i can avoid it! It is the next thing i will try though.

THFourteen: if you dont have GemRB-ios-v0.7.0-143-ged51954.ipa or later then that is why. there was a brief period where intro videos were breaking the display. (disabling the starting movies would allow you to play, but your really ought download a later version.

I think that might be it then, as i only had version 0.7.0-135 i think. Will try tonight.

Am pretty sure i set to "disable intro movies" but they kept playing anyway... actually maybe i was an idiot and forgot to remove the #!

didn't bring my ipad to work today so can't faff :)

@THFourteen

What settings did you use for the screen size in Widescreen and the CFG file ? 1024 x 768 ?

2 Hrs to unzip?? wow... Mine takes only 2-3 minutes. Do you have an Ipad1 or 2? I am using a 2

The long install time he is talking about is because i added code to dump a manifest of the data so I could figure out the GOG problem. It will be removed next time i push updates.

I have fixed the iOS 5 orientation issue and removed the logging code for archives (so unarchiving wont take so long)

progress indicator is still broken under iOS 5 and the text editor as well. the GOG/cd path fix is still not live (still in committee :-p ).

Edit: also default res for BG1, PST, and IWD is now 640x480 if you use widescreen mod you must edit the config. CD paths are no longer generated (since will be be fixing that issue in the core instead and so these will not be needed)

I will download the latest one tonight then..

I see the the current is <20 hrs old as of right now

yes buildbot is still churning out builds. looks like it will be done in about half an hour.

Edit:

FYI several builds are going at once... be sure you download by build number instead of by time uploaded... i THINK the latest version is 147 or 148.

vep: 3) we'll need the log, sounds like something broke in one of the guiscripts (a python exception was thrown)

I hope this is what you mean =) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19597145/GemRB_levelupissue_ios5.log?dl=1

Also there was the problem in the temple where I was not able to resurrect my dead party member (but on my pc I was). Maybe a log can help here either: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19597145/GemBR_resurrectissue_ios5.log?dl=1

Here is a screenshot with this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19597145/GemBR_resurrectissue_ios5_1.PNG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19597145/GemBR_resurrectissue_ios5_2.PNG

Downloaded the latest one..

tried 2 games only.

1. IWD + Exp (how). Stuck in the movie part, there is a big screen on top of it.

2. BG1 now starts in a tiny window, and not fullscreen anymore ? (in the cfg its set 640 x480, and inthe game fullscreen)

Was fullscreen before.. (no widescreen used.)

you mentiod that the game is 640x480 by default for IWD. but in the CFG it says 1024x768

Edit works, BUT you can't scroll the form, then it quit working...

Archived