Spam

Ishad Nha

A list of known spammers would be handy for the administrators, they can search for all posts made by the spammers. Latest spammers:

sunny612922

xiaouanzi

What we need is a list of recently-joined members. Spammers will be found there. Checking posts by new members will show if they are bona fide or not.

Again, "aerorkata", someone just nailed him hooray.
Still at large apparently :). Someone needs to give other folks more power to ban/delete or something. In the same time it takes, cmorgan could be blocking these turdburglars instead of just flagging them.

Yes, three more spams by "aerorkata". Ho hum...

I sent him a personal message:

"We know you are a spammer, who do you think you are fooling?!"

I suspect this person: dbrindalik

Odd heading:

Bravo, seems to me, is a brilliant phrase, You have hit the mark. Thought good, I support.

Odd post content:

Attempt not torture.

Apparent advertisement:

Lamisil | Take Lamisil Medication

Not many posts:

Joined recently:

His birthday occurs around the time he joins, just like aerorkata:

Birthday 28 Oct 1987

Yes, three more spams by "aerorkata". Ho hum...

I sent him a personal message:

"We know you are a spammer, who do you think you are fooling?!"

And somewhere in the world, a bot is wishing he didn't fail the Turing test and could reply :)

I can see some ways how you can lower the spam flow.

1. Disable the guest posting. If you do not wish to disable it - add CAPTCHA.

3. Add CAPTCHA for the user registration. This will help you to identify the spam accounts and ban it. You will also be able to ban IPs from which those accounts are created.

Anomaly in post #23 of this forum made the point:

"Captcha can be guessed by bots since they are used everywhere and so bots has been attuned to get past them."

Generally, anything widely known, like Captcha, will probably be taken into account by spam creators. On the other hand, questions unique to this forum won't be. Spammers have no interest in this forum per se.

Now we are talking about super-intelligent spambots. Who decipher CAPTCHA. I agree it can be hacked, but "taken into account" - that's what usually called a security flow :)

I like your suggestion Ardanis. The solution with game-related questions is likely hackable by an exhaustive search.

Are they as clever as all that, how clever are they? What if the answer to the question was found on another board?

Anyway the moderators seem to be removing the spam very effectively indeed. There was a problem at Pocket Plane Group back in August, that went away soon enough.

Archived