Spam

Ishad Nha

Believe me, we know who the spammers are. It's kind of hard to ignore.

For the sake of your computer, it's never a good idea to click the links.

Edit: I know you're trying to help, but please don't reply to spam posts. One of the easiest ways to spot spammed threads is to look for the names of the usual suspects in "new topics". When the last post in a thread is from a legitimate member, there's a chance it will get in under the radar.

The admins report that the control panel is glitching out.

Please have patience. Everybody knows that things aren't working properly and theacefes is working with the host to get problems resolved, but it takes time. And somehow, in between deleting hundreds of spam posts and arguing with the host (for theacefes, anyway), we've all got jobs and loved ones that can't be neglected.

I will just report them then and won't post after them.

I won't hear complaints from them about them being wrongly accused of spamming, yet another way to detect spamming.

One way to detect them is to look for:

(a) new members

(b) who post all over the board

© whose posts contain a lot of external links

Other boards, Boards of Magic for example, would block those sorts of posts until they could be vetted by a moderator.

Spambots could be blocked by methods used by the FRUA board, ask new members to fill out a survey on why they want to join, what they know about D&D... Said survey should expose spam robots easilly

Ishad Nha, (and lynx, too...) Thank you for reporting on these, and the suggestions. Right now, Theacefes and Grim Squeaker are the Gibberlings with access to the forum software that deletes and administers this sort of thing on the forums - the rest of the Gibbs can help you by deleting the individual posts when folks flag them, and then one of the two forum admins with full access to the control panel can make the big stuff happen.

Your help in flagging them is very much appreciated!

Unfortunately, collateral damage also hurts legitimate users. To not go far for examples, I've been unable to register at old CoM.

PS Though I can understand the move, as most of them seem to be coming from Russia. One thing I do NOT get however - how much mentally retarded one has to be to post spam in RUSSIAN language on ENGLISH forum?!

what gets me is that the bots are able to make accounts to post. why not implement some additional security features? not sure if things changed much since I joined what seems like ages ago, but surely something additional can be done. They've already started back up...

Shoot, I'm tempted to make a joinable NPC mod with Noober as the NPC :) I could hear Kagain now. "Get me a can opener! I'll take care of that spam for ye!" sure it would be totally breaking the 4th wall....

PS Though I can understand the move, as most of them seem to be coming from Russia. One thing I do NOT get however - how much mentally retarded one has to be to post spam in RUSSIAN language on ENGLISH forum?!

You just had to say that, didn't you? :) I get up this morning, and bam! Two spam messages in Russian! :D

Archived