IR v4 - list of changes over v3

Few questions for new release:

1) Will it include "remove critical hit protection" from headgear?

2) Will it include "damage resistance/dexterity penalty" to armor?

2) 1pp v4 has some issues with shield/helmet animations. Are these fixed?

1) Yes (not sure if Arda already have the code for it - I already have in mind a couple of items which could get this as a special property)

2) Yes

3) I cannot reproduce that issue (using same male fighter avatar and 1PPv4 legacy BG1 shield). Could it be an issue with 1PPv4 avatars rather than the shields themselves? It's just a wild guess, but in my install I have the old 1PP avatars (the ones shipped with IRv3) and everything seems fine.

Edited by Demivrgvs

3) I cannot reproduce that issue (using same male fighter avatar and 1PPv4 legacy BG1 shield). Could it be an issue with 1PPv4 avatars rather than the shields themselves? It's just a wild guess, but in my install I have the old 1PP avatars (the ones shipped with IRv3) and everything seems fine.

Yes, you are right. It's the new avatars which cause this issue, not the shields.

P.S.

Great news for 1) and 2).

Edited by kreso
Any news about how things are proceeding? :p
In theory yes, big news actually, but after having found decent lore and roles for new BGEE items I discovered they had the great idea of not giving them unique bams and thus I'm on hold because even looking into IWD or similar games I have no appropriate bams from them. :( I'm not sure what to do.

I'll post more regarding all the other stuff either tomorrow or the day after tomorrow (the plan was to finish KR's Ranger and Archer, than go back to IR for all the remaining things). Arda unfortunately lost much of his work when he had to change PC, but if he can re-do it relatively quickly I'm quite ready (except for those damn BGEE items).

Edited by Demivrgvs

Just a quick update on the progresses. I've uploaded my latest build for Arda and Mike, and we still want both this relase of IR and the next SR to be available either before or just in time for BGEE2.

I'll try to keep you updated on the latest changes as fast as possible, but I've very little time, and I need to split it between modding, updating this very topic (see below), and brainstorming for the last things to do. Anyway, I made a mini update to the first post here, and the latest additions are:

- Korgan's unique axe, which I called Bloodaxe but might be renamed if necessary

- finally a first attempt at handling Dak'Kon Zerth Blade

- all rods

Feel free to comment or post feedback in case you like or dislike some of the changes (they are already implemented and packaged, but if I did something really wrong I can still fix it).

Speaking of rods, leaving aside specific changes to each of them, there's quite a few overall changes:

* unlike wands, rods can now be used by any class

* wands cast copies of existing spells, while rods have unique spell-like abilities (maybe similar to available spells, but customized)

* wands still consume charges, while rods have been changed to allow x/day uses

* the few rods which could be used as weapons have been changed from staves to clubs (*)

All these changes are an effort to provide more uniqueness to them, while still keeping an eye at how they work in PnP.

(*) I don't know if the following tweak belongs more to IR or KR, but I and Arda agreed that within the next IR clubs will be usable by mages.

Edited by Demivrgvs

Interesting changes. I think they need testing so it's good if you can meet a November release.

What you guys decided to do with rods is pretty radical but it doesn't necessarily mean that won't work although changing the weapon class from staff to clubs does not feel so right.

Interesting changes. I think they need testing so it's good if you can meet a November release.
We will, no matter the cost. ;)

What you guys decided to do with rods is pretty radical but it doesn't necessarily mean that won't work although changing the weapon class from staff to clubs does not feel so right.
PnP describe rods this way: "They range from 2 feet to 3 feet long and are usually made of iron or some other metal. (Many, as noted in their descriptions, can function as light maces or clubs due to their sturdy construction.)"

Even BG vanilla description says "Rods are about three feet long and as thick as your thumb." How can rods perform as two-handed weapons like staves?

Regarding the overall rod changes, they are obviously debatable (e.g. in particular I'm not sure if I like the Rod of Resurrection having more than 1 use per day), but I think you agree they at least give rods their own distinguished category.

I agree that staff does not seem so ideal for rods either.

But as you point out, the BG vanilla description mentions thickness and that's my biggest issue with choosing club as new weapon class (characteristically a club's thickness is usually extremely different at the grip and at the end). It's one step ahead (length) and one back (breadth). Wouldn't mace fit rods better than club?

Edited by Salk
I agree that staff does not seem so ideal for rods either.

But as you point out, the BG vanilla description mentions thickness and that's my biggest issue with choosing club as new weapon class (characteristically a club's thickness is usually extremely different at the grip and at the end). It's one step ahead (length) and one back (breadth). Wouldn't mace fit rods better than club?

They are pretty much the same thing imo (see Wiki here), both in terms of shape and "fighting style". I picked club proficiency simply because BG maces are very heavy weapons (they are not light maces), and because rods should be usable by mages imo. Conceptually I do agree that a warrior who can wield a mace should be able to use a club the same way (the latter is actually easier to swing), but with BG2 weapon proficiency system I do think club proficiency is a better pick than maces for rods.

I think the standard behaviour of rods should be that they are activated from the quick item slots like wands. It doesn't seem like rods are intended to function as a weapon type: the majority of them cannot be equipped as weapons. So, it doesn't seem like we could reasonably extrapolate weapon characteristics from their shared qualities.

Out of the two rods that can be wielded as weapons, the Rod of Terror's description says "When activated this rod may be used as a staff +3". This activation step seems like something they glossed over to save trouble. The Rod of Smiting description states that it is a long rod which can be used as a staff.

In 4th edition, the Rod of Smiting is a rod that can also be wielded as a mace. I think the concept is that it's a unique rod whose special property is that it can be wielded as a weapon. I'd prefer that the Rod of Terror be changed to function like the other rods so this uniqueness is highlighted. I don't think either rod needs to be changed into a club based on these descriptions.

Edited by Mike1072