IR v4 - list of changes over v3

But the point is, that if we want to install the main Item Revision component before the BGT, the BGT will overwrite the items in that areas located in BG1, and then there's no recourse.

Yeah, we're aware of this.

One possibility would be for BGT to include a check to skip those items if IR was installed beforehand. Likewise, we could include the breakable weapon patch from BGT to account for people installing IR after BGT. We haven't brought this up with Ascension64 because we haven't worked out the details.

Keep in mind that the main thing that requires people to install IR before BGT is the BWP and its megamods. We could assume and recommend that most users install IR after BGT and any modifications required to suit the opposite install order could be handled in the Big World Fixpack.

I'm a little confused. This thread seems to suggest that there is a version 3.1 but in the download section, it says v2. Am I missing something?

EDIT:

"That being said, the most noticeable additions will be a bunch of new options/components that may have a HUGE impact in terms of gameplay." (emphasis mine)

My mistake! :D

Edited by Grammarsalad

Ehm...I can already feel Mike's dagger on my neck for this matter. :D Anyway, the last version available is V3 Beta, which for some reason never made to an official release but it's there since ages and very stable, which V3.1 is a kinda big update I was working on before disappearing for months.

Hopefully I'll soon put an end to this mess sorry. :(

Ehm...I can already feel Mike's dagger on my neck for this matter. :D Anyway, the last version available is V3 Beta, which for some reason never made to an official release but it's there since ages and very stable, which V3.1 is a kinda big update I was working on before disappearing for months.

Hopefully I'll soon put an end to this mess sorry. :(

No worries! I was just installing some "standard mods" before testing kr beta! ;) I have the beta version.thanks! :)

I just wanted to inform anyone who is still hoping to see a proper V3.1 release that this morning, after almost an year, I finally found the will to put my hands on IR again. :)

My focus has been the "compatibility" between 1PPv4 and IR (aka the main reason I stopped working on IR V3.1). After many discussion, the plan is to include all the necessary files from 1PPv4 into IR (e.g. the new shield animations, various item related bams, etc.), and then ask players to simply skip the same components from 1PP (e.g. do not install 1PP shields over IR's ones). This is be pretty much as it always worked even before 1PPv4, because even back then allowing 1PP to patch IR's items was a bad idea (as IR changes too many things from bams, colors, item type, etc. that 1PP cannot take into account). The way I see it, once my job is done anyone still willing to install 1PP separately should simply skip everything under "Item patches, additions and implementation".

@Arda and Mike, this morning I started including BG1 large shields animations (the only V3 shields with paperdoll and avatar not matching), and even if I had to re-assign all colors once again (a really painful and time consuming thing to do: change color, launch game to check, quit game, tweak color again, rinse and repeat countless times) this has been a relatively easy update.

Between tonight, and tomorrow I'll work on the hardest part, merging the re-done BG2 animations which, just to make my life worse, have got their animation references re-assigned (e.g. old 1PP BGII style large shields were c4 back then, now with 1PPv4 they use c2, while c4 is used by bucklers).

Edited by Demivrgvs
@Arda and Mike, this morning I started including BG1 large shields animations (the only V3 shields with paperdoll and avatar not matching), and even if I had to re-assign all colors once again (a really painful and time consuming thing to do: change color, launch game to check, quit game, tweak color again, rinse and repeat countless times) this has been a relatively easy update.
Erhm ever actually looked at the 1pp stikies and read this ??? It should give to what you want without a start of the game... :devil:
Erhm ever actually looked at the 1pp stikies and read this ??? It should give to what you want without a start of the game...

That tool could have saved me days of work when I worked on V3 years ago, but as of now I only have to edit very few items, and I'd fear it would take more time to install and learn to use it than editing those few files myself! Anyway, I might try it out just in case I'll have to re do stuff like that, it seems a wonderful. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Edit: the Palette Generator tool is AMAZING!! Too bad it doesn't cover BG2 shield animations (thus it's useless for me right now) :(

Edited by Demivrgvs
Between tonight, and tomorrow I'll work on the hardest part, merging the re-done BG2 animations which, just to make my life worse, have got their animation references re-assigned (e.g. old 1PP BGII style large shields were c4 back then, now with 1PPv4 they use c2, while c4 is used by bucklers).

That is the part that can be easily automated. This code copies all shields that use the c4 animation from the item_rev/itm folder into an item_rev/output folder, giving them the c2 animation.

MKDIR ~item_rev/output~ // create a new folder called output

ACTION_BASH_FOR ~item_rev/itm~ ~.+\.itm~ BEGIN // for every .itm file in the item_rev/itm folder...
 COPY ~%BASH_FOR_FILESPEC%~ ~item_rev/output~ // copy that file to the output folder
PATCH_IF (SHORT_AT 0x1c == 0x0c) BEGIN // if item is a shield
  READ_ASCII 0x22 animation (2)
  PATCH_IF (~%animation%~ STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~c4~) BEGIN // if animation was "c4"
	WRITE_ASCII 0x22 ~c2~ #2 // make it "c2"
  END
END
BUT_ONLY // only copy the files that changed as a result
END

You throw this in a standalone mod, install it, then copy the files it outputs before uninstalling it.

Edited by Mike1072

Thanks Mike, but that's the least of my problems. :D As I said for some reason color assignments are messed up by this change (and the color palette generator linked by Jarno is wonderful but it truly works only on standard 1PP stuff). I also need to find a good mix of vanilla and 1PPv4 inventory bams.

Anyway, if we include 1PPv4 instead of finding an impossible way to either allow for it or give it for granted, everything seems much much easier. Assuming you and Arda are not too busy and you can help me checking the other components like Revised Armors, Revised Criticals hits, updating the readme, and so on...I'd dare to say we might be able to finally get to a proper release within a week or so. Kit Revisions has managed to bring back my modding spirit, I'll try to focus it on IR for a while. :)

@Mike, I'm even willing to work on BGEE items considering you have been so kind to work on compatibility code. ;) I have this as a guide, but I still don't have BGEE thus I'd need you, Mike or any willing helper to give me more details like:

- item filenames (e.g. is Harrower +1 a new item or does it replace a pre-existing sw1h##.itm?)

- item complete stats

- item allocation (to determine power level and things like that)

Edited by Demivrgvs

Demi, Kaigen was nice enough to provide item codes for the new items at the bottom of your linked post. I am not certain if the list is absolutely comprehensive, however.

I can export the item descriptions and send them to you if that would be helpful and no one has done this already.

Edited by Kalindor
Demi, Kaigen was nice enough to provide item codes for the new items at the bottom of your linked post. I am not certain if the list is absolutely comprehensive, however.
Cool, I did not noticed it.

I can export the item descriptions and send them to you if that would be helpful and no one has done this already.
I think I'll create a dedicated topic to gather all the info on this matter. If I don't get descriptions elsewhere I'll count on you thanks. ;)

I've pretty much finished updating IR's shields to use 1PPv4 (I still need to check a couple of technical issues, but the time consuming things are done). There's still some room for future small improvements such as offering even more variety mixing BG1 and BG2 styles on copies of the same item (e.g. shld13 and shld14 are redundant copies of the standard non-magical medium shield) but for now I'm leaving this out because it would look really random without appropriate re-allocation (e.g. Baldur's Gate guards use BG1 style while Amnish soldiers use BG2 one, or things like that).

If anyone is wondering what will change...

All bucklers use BG1 style as per IR V3, but I'm tempted to assign the new variant animation (similar to BG2 style, but unique to 1PPv4) to at least on unique specimen.

All small shields use BG1 style as per v3 (non magical, "common" +1/+2 and Saving Grace +3), but:

- Nature's Ward now uses a new scale shield animation

- Shield of Harmony uses BG2 style, new bam and new colors

All medium shields now use BG1 style (non magical, "common" +1/+2), and have been recolored. Unique medium shields use various animations:

- Mirror Shield uses a new 1PPv4 variant animation normally used by large shields because with a new bam stolen from 1PP's Reflection Shield (yeah, 1PPv4 uses this large shield animation for a small shield o.O ), new colors and improved color glow it now really looks like a mirror! Very cool imo.

- Dragon Scale Shield and Drowcraft Shield use the new scale animation

- all other unique medium shields (Shield of Balduran, Shield of the Order, Anomen's shield, etc.) use BG2 style

Most large shields use BG1 style as per V3, but now thanks to 1PPv4 avatar and paperdoll will finally match each other.

- Fortress Shield uses BG2 style as per v3

- Darksteel Shield uses the new variant animation

Few questions for new release:

1) Will it include "remove critical hit protection" from headgear?

2) Will it include "damage resistance/dexterity penalty" to armor?

2) 1pp v4 has some issues with shield/helmet animations. Are these fixed?