Bug Thread

I don't know if this has been reported or no, but in Minsc.bsc and Valygar.bsc the cre file name is used where the dv (rspirit01) should be used, like in See("RSPIRIT1") in Minsc, so he won't start his dialogue and in Valygar Dead("RSPIRIT1") et al.

I don’t know if this problem is related to the NPC Strongholds mod or not, but I had a problem in the Umar Hills while managing a ranger's stronghold. Forest spirit Mairyn gave the task to solve the problem with Lord Igen, but after that refuses to speak with me. She replies that she will speak only with the ranger. My protagonist is a ranger, but she does not want to talk to him. And to complete this quest becomes impossible. If Valigar owns the stronghold - the result is the same, Mairyn refuses to speak with him and answers that she will only speak with the ranger.

Guest Rinpoo

Mairya the forest spirit, after finishing the necklace fetch quest.  Refuses to acknowledge my Ranger/Cleric as the ranger despite me being accepted for the role.  Aerie was accepted as the Cleric, so that worked fine.  She keeps saying she will "only talk to the ranger," and she says that to everyone but Minsc, who gets no dialog at all.

The Mayer also refuses to open dialog with me at all just as Minsc with the spirit, so there is nothing I can do to continue the ranger quest.  I really do not know what to do.  This bug has me stuck and I have no idea how to fix it.

Running on 8.1

Not sure if posted before:

I rescued Haer'Dalis and he was made the owner of the theatre. Then I removed him from the party for a while, to make place for Valygar for the Planar Sphere quest. After finishing it and re-replacing him with Haer'Dalis, I talked with the playmaker. He mentioned the play being a flop and the stronghold quest ended, even though it hardly ever started. I suppose it's due to kicking HD out of the party, but I can't be sure (no saves before it).

Guest Connelly

I had a problem in an ETT installation. For reference, any other mods that I got installed and I could think can be causing conflicts are Expanded Thief Stronghold, Alternatives and AllThingsMazzy.

After giving the thief guild to Imoen, the lieutenants didn't react to her, only recognizing Charname as guildmaster. I had the idea of checking their dialogue files in Near Infinity, and found out all of them retained their vanilla dlg files. I had to go one by one changing their related files to the new ones introduced by the mod. Now they react to Imoen, although I also had to recreate Brannel (the door guard) with a Ctrl+Y and a CreateCreature command for his changes to stick. Ama seems to have her correct dialogue, but the global values that advance her lines do not seem to trigger correctly. Later, I couldn't advance with the pickpockets issue until I CreateCreature each of them and started the KishSpawnedPickpockets variable.

Once the thief war starts, Renal didn't speak to me when I got to his room, and I had to CreateCreature him outside in the streets so he could talk with Imoen; this might have been a conflict with the AllThingsMazzy mod, as it has its own quest to eliminate the Shadow Thieves where Amnian soldiers support you. And after killing Aran, I had to reduce the KishThiefWar variable from 3 to 2, as Imoen was stuttering trying to speak her line after killing Aran; that line had a very particular trigger range of higher than 0 and lesser than 3, and I'm not completely sure but I think there was a prior moment where KishThiefWar is supposed to be at 3.

My main suspect for a possible conflict is Expanded Thief Stronghold. It was installed before NPC Strongholds, but it's possible that it changed the creature files to different ones than what this mod looks for. Although I searched for any mention of it in this forum, in case someone else already noticed anything, and I found nothing.

I also had problems with the de'Arnise keep and the ranger cabin. As others said, Mairyn just plain ignores Minsc, although I can't see what's wrong there. Nalia gets a "no valid reply or link" in her dialogue just before proposing you or a party member the idea of taking the keep. I had to do a dirty edit on her dialogue triggers that would force her to directly offer the keep to Mazzy. The Prelate also didn't react to Keldorn after rescuing Garren's son; far as I could tell, the variables needed to trigger his talk about starting the paladin quests didn't get initialized.

The theater with Haer'Dalis, the druid groove with Jaheira, and the Lathander temple with Aerie worked fine, although I might have gotten the impression of the timers for new tasks being off; not important though. Haven't tried the rest.

Guest energisedcamel

Hello! There seems to be a few bugs with Minsc and the ranger stronghold, the biggest of which is a looping dialogue. Minsc keeps noticing Delon, but no one appears, so the dialogue ends. Any idea how I can fix this?

Guest energisedcamel

Just to clarify, it is the line @1060 = ~Delon! What do you need from Minsc and Boo?~

I had a few issues before (Mairya not appearing, Madulf not appearing during the orog attack, Tombelthen appearing again in the Umar Hills, not at the ruined temple, etc.) but none of these were gamebreaking. I'm really hoping I don't have to uninstall the mod to continue, because it's one of my all-time favourite!

On 4/5/2021 at 8:59 AM, Guest energisedcamel said:

Hello! There seems to be a few bugs with Minsc and the ranger stronghold, the biggest of which is a looping dialogue. Minsc keeps noticing Delon, but no one appears, so the dialogue ends. Any idea how I can fix this?

I had this problem with the 8.1 version with fixes. So I summoned Delon with console and it fixed it:

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("delon")

Hello,

This mod has worked perfectly for me so far, having done the entire Paladin stronghold with Keldorn, some Cleric quests with Aerie, and several Bard ones with Haer'Dalis. There have been no other bugs so far, and the writing on behalf of the various companions has been very good.

I recently ran into a bug, however. Valygar and the Ranger Stronghold quest becomes bugged if you do them AND the Planar Sphere in a specific order. As far as I can tell I was able to fix it (see below). The problem will unfortunately take some explaining, so bear with me:

Upon completing Umar Hills and killing the Shade Lord, I gave Valygar the Ranger stronghold just for kicks, not really intending to do any of the quests. What I know was supposed to happen is that eventually, Mairyn the forest spirit appears for him. He'll ask "What do you want, spirit?" and is then told of some Ranger issue he'll have to deal with. I saw this happen during testing earlier and it worked fine then.

This time however, before any Ranger stronghold duties could occur, I dropped Valygar off in the Adventurer's Mart and told him to stay put. I had some quests to run before entering the Planar Sphere (I wanted some more +3 weapons for one thing), and I started walking around Athkatla and Trademeet. During this time, Aerie and Mazzy and Haer'Dalis all had their stronghold quests progress as normal, and I finished Keldorn's entire Paladin questline.

After quite a long time I added Valygar back to my party in order to do the Planar Sphere quest. That quest then progressed as normal until the very end.

Upon leaving the sphere and allowing Lavok his last moment in the sun, Valygar is supposed to give his speech saying "I would not have believed he could be redeemed. There is much I have to learn--I would like to continue to travel with you." This concludes the Planar Sphere quest.

That speech did not happen. Instead, he said "What do you want, spirit?" as if he was called to do Ranger things, with the Continue prompt as usual. Except that there was no spirit. Pressing "Continue" closed the dialogue box, and then, one second later, "What do you want, spirit?"

This looped forever. I could prevent it by constantly telling him to move, but no amount of fast-traveling (including to Umar Hills) made him stop saying it, nor did it make Mairyn appear to allow the other part of the conversation to happen.

I tried two things to fix it. The second one worked.

First, I was able to fix the initial loop by removing him from my group, then telling him to stay put in case I needed him. Then, when I talked to him, he gave the Lavok speech as normal, and then asked me if he could continue traveling with me. The planar quest resolved.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, Mairyn will now never appear, and the Ranger stronghold questline seems broken forever. No amount of camping outdoors makes her show up. Even if I spawn her in with the console, and then rest in that location, they will never initiate dialogue.

Second, I instead spawned Mairyn just outside the sphere where Valygar initially enters the perpetual loop. You can spawn her via the console command:

C:CreateCreature("RSPIRIT1")

I then talked to Lavok, allowing him to die. Valygar and Mairyn then have the ranger stronghold conversation like they should, and then he comments on Lavok. From what I can tell, this fixes both questlines.

---

I have three theories as to what causes this which, because I haven't done any scripting or programming for BG2, you should take with a mound of salt:

1) Perhaps two competing "Valygar needs to initiate dialogue" queues are happening at the same time, which cannot resolve because it keeps choosing the wrong one.

2) Mairyn cannot spawn in normally in that part of the city (as far as I know she's supposed to appear when you camp outside), but the NPC Strongholds script is trying to force this encounter to happen. I know this mod tweaks encounters occasionally (for instance, it forces the entire party to immediately move to Umar Hills during Keldorn's Paladin questline, the Saving the Knights part specifically), and this could be the result of one of those.

3) It has something to do with "Stronghold talks", since Valygar is waiting for word for the Ranger quest and I'm about to get the Sphere stronghold for myself, and the game doesn't know which talk to trigger in that moment.

If anyone wants to try to debug this, I wish them luck--it's probably some complicated scripting bullshit. As it is, it is at least apparently fixable via console commands.

If I don't post here again, consider the fix working. If the Ranger questline turns out to be bugged, I'll post again.

---

Thanks for making a genuinely fantastic mod. It's one of the best I've ever tried.

4 hours ago, Guest Cane said:

I have three theories as to what causes this which, because I haven't done any scripting or programming for BG2, you should take with a mound of salt:

Thanks for posting this. From experience, I guess it's a bit more trivial: the Stronghold dialogue misses a crucial variable check, so it fires instead of the Lavok one (the script tries to call) just because it's further above in the dlg file (that's how the engine works). Adding a unique trigger variable for the Stringhold dialogue and checking the conditions for the spirit to appear would be my suggestion to debug this.