Unearthed Arcana present Tome & Blood: more options for arcane casters

I love it. I’ll see what I can do. It might be slightly complex. Like, I could see an argument that Improved Invisibility should apply both icons, and then remove the basic invisibility icon when you become partially visible. But I’m pretty sure that’s not possible. 

For both icons, there is a question of how it could be removed. There are at least five different ways to have invisibility dispelled; I’m not sure how many if them would successfully remove these icons if they are applied by opcode 142. (Probably just two of the five.)

TnB has that problem covered for normal invisibility... but I’m not sure it will be possible to do the same for improved invisibility. 

Worth looking into, at any rate. (Also worth looking into improving the mechanisms for dispelling invisibility... adding opcode 226 into the mix might help, and could address the issue of icon removal.)

7 hours ago, Endarire said:

@subtledoctor
Last I heard, multiclassed Sors can't use identify.  How true is that in modern times?  (You got Arcanists working in BGEE!  Alleluia!)  How fixable is that, especially if other UI mods are involved like Lefreut's?

There is a whole Revised Identify component to handle that.  It's in the readme, barebones though it is.  Revised Identify is also installed by default if you install Level 1 Cantrips.

Revised Identify involves a UI modification, so don't install UI mods that do overwriting after it.

I started testing Tome and Blood and I found some interesting behavior:

- I think the magus sorcerer kit is causing fighter gear to wearable by all mages. This might be intentional since the magus is part of the mage ethos and you might not be able to specifically only flag that kit but if it is intentional maybe you should put a warning for kits that disrupt the game this much for people that might not want to live with the consequences.

- Is there any documentation on the component "Rebalance Spell Schools"? I noticed some of the changes but it would be nice to have a comprehensive list.

- I'm not sure this is because of Tome and Blood but I noticed my Sleep spell is changed to now affect every creature in the AoE range. I don't think I have another mod that changes spells besides the IWD SCS component. Maybe it's a change caused by Rebalanced Spell Schools?

1 hour ago, NdranC said:

I think the magus sorcerer kit is causing fighter gear to wearable by all mages

I guess? Aquadrizzt created the Magus a long time ago, and I confess I’ve never used it, the concept just doesn’t appeal to me. So I’m really not familiar with how it works, and for that reason I’m loath to mess with it. Anyway, off the top of my head I cannot see any way to allow a mage kit to wear heavy armor without allowing all mages to equip it. I suppose you could use opcode 319 but it wouldn’t be as comprehensive as I’d like. As it is, you can have your weak, squishy, poor-thac0 mage pit on armor, only outside combat, and the mage will then be unable to do the only thing they do well, cast spells. While a Magus can equip armor and cast spells. 

That seems fine to me. I mean, why shouldn’t a mage be able to put on armor? As far as role-playing goes, there are any number of situations where that might happen... it would be worthless in combat, but that doesn't mean you couldn’t wear it. BG’s outright equipping restriction is kind if weird. 

1 hour ago, NdranC said:

any documentation on the component "Rebalance Spell Schools"? I noticed some of the changes but it would be nice to have a comprehensive list.

It’s a bit buried, but the school assignments are in tomeandblood/data/core/spell_list_base.tpa and spell_list_sr.tpa. Those are human-readable and you can edit them before installing; the actual code only interprets those text documents, so nothing is set in stone. 

1 hour ago, NdranC said:

but I noticed my Sleep spell is changed to now affect every creature in the AoE range.

Versus what? Isn’t that how Sleep works? 

I’m pretty sure the only part of this mod that changes Sleep is “Level 1 Cantrips,” which changes it to single-target and calls it “Drowse.”

Edited by subtledoctor
58 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

That seems fine to me. I mean, why shouldn’t a mage be able to put on armor? As far as role-playing goes, there are any number of situations where that might happen... it would be worthless in combat, but that doesn't mean you couldn’t wear it. BG’s outright equipping restriction is kind if weird.

It's up to the player to decide what they want to live with as long they were properly informed ahead of time. Personally I dislike the inconsistency between mages as a side effect of a kit getting to wear all gear while other classes are not affected by this. I think a simple warning to the user of the unavoidable consequences of installing that component would suffice and they get to decide for themselves.

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

Versus what? Isn’t that how Sleep works? 

I’m pretty sure the only part of this mod that changes Sleep is “Level 1 Cantrips,” which changes it to single-target and calls it “Drowse.”

In vanilla sleep only works against enemies. I'm unsure what mod changed it to work on all creatures in the area of effect. Just checking if it was this one.

Thanks

23 minutes ago, NdranC said:

t's up to the player to decide what they want to live with as long they were properly informed ahead of time. Personally I dislike the inconsistency between mages as a side effect of a kit getting to wear all gear while other classes are not affected by this. I think a simple warning to the user of the unavoidable consequences of installing that component would suffice and they get to decide for themselves.

All fair.  But like I say, I haven't used it and I wasn't aware of any such consequences.  The mod doesn't even really have a real readme... so, not that I don;'t agree with your sentiment.  These are just the reasons you didn't have notice.

29 minutes ago, NdranC said:

In vanilla sleep only works against enemies. I'm unsure what mod changed it to work on all creatures in the area of effect. Just checking if it was this one.

Whaaaat... as far as I can tell, that would require modifying the projectile.  I have no idea what mod might have done that.

Summon Familiar:

I love the changes you made to this spell. The new icons are good looking and I like the Imbue Spell effect. Not sure this would make me want to use Familiars in a normal 6 person run because of the micro but I could see myself using this for a solo run. I don't mind loosing the passive effect if my familiar is not out because I already have more HP with 3e con values.

Metamagic:

I have the 5th option installed. Testing Chain Contingency with a Divination Wizard I noticed a couple things.

- The contingency UI is different than with LeUI. This seems correct based on what you explained to me on how this component is mostly a UI one.

- I can memorize into my contingency any spell that I know even if I don't have it currently memorized. This seems correct as well.

- If I try to memorize spells that I currently have memorized it will spend those spell slots as well. So for example, if I have 2 blinds memorized and I try to put 3 blinds into my chain contingency, it will let me but those 2 blinds I had memorized will be spent. This seems like a bug based on how I though this component was supposed to work.

53 minutes ago, NdranC said:

- If I try to memorize spells that I currently have memorized it will spend those spell slots as well. So for example, if I have 2 blinds memorized and I try to put 3 blinds into my chain contingency, it will let me but those 2 blinds I had memorized will be spent. This seems like a bug based on how I though this component was supposed to work.

We specifically tested for that and added coded to prevent it.  I can only guess that the other UI mod is interfering...

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

We specifically tested for that and added coded to prevent it.  I can only guess that the other UI mod is interfering...

Darn it. I was hopping it could work if installed on top of it. Not a big fan of the default UI.

I'll keep pocking around that and see if I can narrow down the problem. That change to metamagic would be perfect based on how I play.

@subtledoctor
1: Does the Magus casting speed penalty only apply to spells cast in combat?  If not, may we get that?  I ask since buffing/summoning/casting out of combat should, to me, not be penalized due to a lack of immediate danger.

2: Does LeFreut's UI work with T&B, including Revised Identify?  I'd like for them to work well together!

3: For EE games, do sequencers/contingencies remember what spells were most recently placed in them?  (For example, if I use minor sequencer with shield and mirror image, I'd like my next minor sequencer to have those spells selected by default.)

Thankee!

16 hours ago, NdranC said:

Darn it. I was hopping it could work if installed on top of it.

You haven't mentioned you list of mods, or the install order.  I'm not certain it doesn't work... the order should definitely be LeUI, then TnB.  If you installed them in that order and there is a problem, then I guess there is a problem.  But maybe you have some other UI mod that is getting in the way?  Do you use any UI tweaks apart from LeUI?  (Especially, anything that modifies the spellbook or sequencer screens?)  :undecided:

2 hours ago, Endarire said:

Does the Magus casting speed penalty only apply to spells cast in combat?  If not, may we get that? 

As I said, I had no hand in creating the Magus kit.  And I don't plan to change someone else's work.  Anyway I don't think applying a casting speed penalty only in combat is really feasible.  And anyway anyway, you can only cast one spell per six seconds whether you are in combat or not, so the casting speed is all but meaningless in that context.

Does LeFreut's UI work with ... Revised Identify? 

Last I heard, yes.  POssibly a bit of a conflict with Revised Metamagic, though - see the posts right above yours.  (Unclear though whether that is because of LeUI, or some other UI mod.)

For EE games, do sequencers/contingencies remember what spells were most recently placed in them?  (For example, if I use minor sequencer with shield and mirror image, I'd like my next minor sequencer to have those spells selected by default.)

There is no "default" - the game has you choose spells to put in them every time.  This has nothing to do with mods.

Edited by subtledoctor
5 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

You haven't mentioned you list of mods, or the install order.  I'm not certain it doesn't work... the order should definitely be LeUI, then TnB.  If you installed them in that order and there is a problem, then I guess there is a problem.  But maybe you have some other UI mod that is getting in the way?  Do you use any UI tweaks apart from LeUI?  (Especially, anything that modifies the spellbook or sequencer screens?)  :undecided:

I actually uploaded my weidu.log in Might and Guile since this was my second post. I guess you haven't seen my post over there. I'll post it here as well but I'll be making a new client with the purpose to test what exactly breaks it.weidu.log

EDIT: Ok I made a new EET client with only bg1ub, BGEEClassicMovies, SoDtoBG2_IU and nothing else.

Without installing LeUI the 5th metamagic component works as expected.

Installing LeUI before metamagic will pseudo work. It will allow you to pick from spells you currently don't have memorized but it will spend them if they are available.

Spoiler

MOlmGvm.jpg

Edited by NdranC