Unearthed Arcana present Tome & Blood: more options for arcane casters

Wow that mod looks... kind of crazy.  Reeeeally complicated to use.  But, I guess I understand the impetus, given that in the old engine you could never know what was in a sequencer after you loaded it.  I used to use a journal entry to record what spells I put in sequencers, but that was annoying.

I don't see anything in that readme about have "default spells" to use in sequencers though... maybe I just misunderstood you.

In any event, in the new EE engine, the contents of sequencers and contingencies are recorded somewhere in the Record screen.  So that sort of mod is no longer necessary.

3 hours ago, NdranC said:

Installing LeUI before metamagic will pseudo work. It will allow you to pick from spells you currently don't have memorized but it will spend them if they are available.

That's really annoying, though.  I really don't want it to work that way, and I put a lot of effort into... well, which is to say, I put a lot of effort into asking @kjeron to help me make sure it would not expend memorized spells.  Kjeron did the real effort of making that work.  I cna only assume that the way TnB patches UI.menu for that purpose fails to match a REPLACE_TEXTUALLY or something when LeUI is installed, because LeUI changes the part of UI.menu that TnB tries to patch.  Or something.  Unfortunately, I have no particular idea what part of UI.menu that is, or what change LeUI makes that causes the failure. :(

Edited by subtledoctor
23 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Wow that mod looks... kind of crazy.  Reeeeally complicated to use.  But, I guess I understand the impetus, given that in the old engine you could never know what was in a sequencer after you loaded it.  I used to use a journal entry to record what spells I put in sequencers, but that was annoying.

I don't see anything in that readme about have "default spells" to use in sequencers though... maybe I just misunderstood you.

In any event, in the new EE engine, the contents of sequencers and contingencies are recorded somewhere in the Record screen.  So that sort of mod is no longer necessary.

That's really annoying, though.  I really don't want it to work that way, and I put a lot of effort into... well, which is to say, I put a lot of effort into asking @kjeron to help me make sure it would not expend memorized spells.  Kjeron did the real effort of making that work.  I cna only assume that the way TnB patches UI.menu for that purpose fails to match a REPLACE_TEXTUALLY or something when LeUI is installed, because LeUI changes the part of UI.menu that TnB tries to patch.  Or something.  Unfortunately, I have no particular idea what part of UI.menu that is, or what change LeUI makes that causes the failure. :(

Yeah I'm in a pickle. I noticed that if I use the EEUITweaks and install most of the LeUI components that way I am able to use your component correctly. I guess I have to make a choice between using your metamagic system or using LeUI. Maybe @lefreut has any input on this?

The lines most likely failing are these two (from comp/setup_metamagic.tpa, line 379-380):

Spoiler

REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~mageScreen:SequenceSpell( bookSpells\[currentBookSpell\].resref, bookSpells\[currentBookSpell\].masterResref )~ ~mageScreen:SequenceSpell( bookSpells[currentBookSpell].resref, 'DEFAULT' )~

REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~mageScreen:UnSequenceSpell( bottomSpells\[currentBottomSpell\].resref, bottomSpells\[currentBottomSpell\].masterResref )~ ~mageScreen:UnSequenceSpell( bottomSpells[currentBottomSpell].resref, 'DEFAULT' )~

The first parts of each replacement (mageScreen:SequenceSpell / mageScreen:UnSequenceSpell) shouldn't have changed even with LeUI, so it's likely the latter part (in the parenthesis) that has changed (the same part that my code changes).  Each has two entries separated by a comma, the first part can be left as is, only the second entry in each should need changing to 'DEFAULT'.

If you do a text search for them in UI.menu, you might be able to manually edit it to work. They're are multiple instances of each in the default file, so they're may still be multiple instances to look for with LeUI.

Edited by kjeron

@subtledoctor
To clarify regarding Sequencer Memory, refer to this example.

Today, I made a dummy Sor in Throne of Bhaal with minor sequencer, contingency, and spell trigger.  I cast minor sequencer and filled it with resist fear and mirror image.  I used minor sequencer on self.  I recast minor sequencer and expected it to have those two spells in the sequencing slots instead of having blank slots.  This seemingly means I need Sequencer Memory.

7 hours ago, Endarire said:

I cast minor sequencer and filled it with resist fear and mirror image.  I used minor sequencer on self.  I recast minor sequencer and expected it to have those two spells in the sequencing slots instead of having blank slots

Well, I’m still not entirely sure what is being asked, but here is everything I know about that:

- The unmodded EE game does not have the behavior you describe.

- This mod does not enable the behavior you describe.

- I see nothing in the ‘Sequencer Memory’ mod’s readme that suggests it enables the behavior you describe. 

TBH I’m not sure where you got the idea from - whether you’ve actually seen that behavior in the past, or what. Maybe some mod does that, but it ain’t this one. And it might not be compatible with this one.

9 hours ago, NdranC said:

Yeah I'm in a pickle

7 hours ago, kjeron said:

If you do a text search for them in UI.menu, you might be able to manually edit it to work

I guess this is the silver lining: UI changes (of this sort, anyway) are just a function of modifying text in UI.menu. So, unlike other mods, this is the kind of thing you can tinker with in a text editor and try to fix after the mods are installed. 

Thanks kjeron for the details. When I get a chance I’ll look into installing LeUI and creating a better text replacement specifically for it. Might be a while though. 

(Hint to UI modders like @lefreut and @Pecca: I’d be way more motivated and better able to put in effort on inter-mod compatibility if the UI mods could work on my 1024x768 screen resolution...)

5 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

(Hint to UI modders like @lefreut and @Pecca: I’d be way more motivated and better able to put in effort on inter-mod compatibility if the UI mods could work on my 1024x768 screen resolution...)

By design my UI mods use the same size for UI elements as the default UI so that it works with all screen resolution (at least the same set of resolutions that are supported by the default UI). Do you have example where it does not work well on 1024*768?

13 hours ago, kjeron said:

The lines most likely failing are these two (from comp/setup_metamagic.tpa, line 379-380):

Hide contents

REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~mageScreen:SequenceSpell( bookSpells\[currentBookSpell\].resref, bookSpells\[currentBookSpell\].masterResref )~ ~mageScreen:SequenceSpell( bookSpells[currentBookSpell].resref, 'DEFAULT' )~

REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~mageScreen:UnSequenceSpell( bottomSpells\[currentBottomSpell\].resref, bottomSpells\[currentBottomSpell\].masterResref )~ ~mageScreen:UnSequenceSpell( bottomSpells[currentBottomSpell].resref, 'DEFAULT' )~

The first parts of each replacement (mageScreen:SequenceSpell / mageScreen:UnSequenceSpell) shouldn't have changed even with LeUI, so it's likely the latter part (in the parenthesis) that has changed (the same part that my code changes).  Each has two entries separated by a comma, the first part can be left as is, only the second entry in each should need changing to 'DEFAULT'.

If you do a text search for them in UI.menu, you might be able to manually edit it to work. They're are multiple instances of each in the default file, so they're may still be multiple instances to look for with LeUI.

The only changes made by LeUI is to remove the spaces after '(' and before ')'.

I had a bad habit of tidying up the code to make is more readable for me when I start working on my UI (back when it was only for me and not designed as a mod that will have to interact with other mods).

4 minutes ago, lefreut said:

I had a bad habit of tidying up the code to make is more readable for me...

Hard to fault you there, you wouldn't be the only one.  It should be an easy fix @subtledoctor, just replace both the spaces in the match text with this thing:

[ %TAB%]*

On 8/24/2020 at 1:41 AM, kjeron said:

Reveal hidden contents

Update on this. It works perfectly. Thank you for letting me know.