Subtledoc's Random Tweaks

On 9/20/2020 at 7:33 AM, subtledoctor said:

I’m very happy with the way Haste/Slow are working in my game, using the Spell Shield opcode to cancel each other

Do you have the spellshield portrait icon always on while the haste/slow effects persist? I cant seem to find the section of that opcode that is causing it to show the spellshield, unless its hardcoded into opcode 226?

On 12/16/2021 at 5:19 AM, Relay said:

Do you have the spellshield portrait icon always on while the haste/slow effects persist? I cant seem to find the section of that opcode that is causing it to show the spellshield, unless its hardcoded into opcode 226?

It is indeed hard-coded, so I overwrite the .BAM/.VVC with a null animation, and then manually add the old animation to relevant spells like Spell Shield.

I'm adding a few more tweaks:

1. Set the Sleep spell to allow targets to wake-on-hit
  2. Replace the Berserk effect with temporary Feeblemind in SR's [Sphere of] Chaos spell
  3. Replace the Stun effect with Petrification and replace the Feeblemind effect with Blindness in SR's Prismatic Spray

The idea for #2 and #3 is to have mental effects in Chaos and physical effects in Prismatic Spray, to make them more distinct. Also, now you can do this.

Not uploading quite yet, in case I have more ideas that are fairly quick/easy to implement. Anyone hankering for any particular spell or item tweaks?

Q: should Prismatic Spray be party-friendly? It's quite high level and I never cast that spell. OTOH I guess the effects are pretty extreme... but if I'm never casting the spell, then... what's the point?

Edited by subtledoctor

Okay, the update to v1.4 is ready. Four new spell tweaks:

• have targets of the Sleep spell wake up if they are struck (it says "sleep," not "coma")
  • add Feeblemind effect to Spell Revisions' Sphere of Chaos (so the spell only applies mental effects
  • add petrification and blindness (and remove stun/feeblemind) to SR's Prismatic Spray (so the spell only applies physical effects)
  • make Spell Revisions' True Seeing spell affect the whole party (it needs a buff)
Edited by subtledoctor
25 minutes ago, Endarire said:

With your tweaks, does a sleep victim still take extra damage like critical damage if struck while asleep?

Is that a thing that happens? I don't know. It doesn't change anything about what happens while asleep - attacks automatically hit, etc. The only change is to tick the "wake on damage" flag in the spell effect. So whatever rules apply to sleeping creatures still apply; only, after being struck once, the victim will wake up.

Hi @subtledoctor

Looking at the tra file, and not being able to see some spell descriptions changes in-game, I wonder : were the changes from the MBR.tpa file maybe extracted to the magic_battle_revised mod and then disabled from d5_random_tweaks ?

If so, a big part of the setup.tra file is unused (all the parts about protection spells and protection-stripping spells).

That would explain why I can't see the descriptions in-game

11 minutes ago, mickabouille said:

If so, a big part of the setup.tra file is unused (all the parts about protection spells and protection-stripping spells).

That would explain why I can't see the descriptions in-game

Corrrect... all of the components 5000 and up were removed and therefore all the .tra references from line last ~200 lines (everything starting "@5____") can be removed.

But, I don't understand why this would result in something being missing in-game?

Can you tell me what you are seeing, and steps to reproduce?

EDIT - oh, you mean the fact that Magic Battles Revised doesn't have a French translation?

Edited by subtledoctor