Subtledoc's Random Tweaks

I'm playing a fresh EET game with some components from d5 tweaks v1.4.2 installed, including the one that changes energy drain. As a sorcerer or a dragon disciple, I don't see energy drain on the list of spells to choose, either as a level 8 or a level 9 spell. I can't think of any other mod in my install that could be responsible.

Great. I fixed this manually in my install since, from my understanding, updating a mod deep in the install order is a no-no when I have a game in progress. In future versions, I'd like an option to keep it as a level 9 spell though. Perhaps an even more buffed version for level 9? Same with black blade.

Edited by Enkidu
On 3/2/2022 at 7:38 PM, subtledoctor said:
On 3/2/2022 at 5:29 PM, Chosen said:

I think "Change Protection from Petrification into 'Mirrored Eyes' " component isn't working. While I am familiar with basic modding, splstate modifications are beyond me so I cant quite figure it out what went wrong. My best guess is spl_proj in the code points to the wrong type of projectile. I tried it in vanilla EE and SR setups.

Quite right. Stupid weird difference between how projectiles are indexed in NI vs. the IESDP. Fixed in v1.4.2.

That also fixes a bug with the component allowing Cure Wounds spells to bypass spell deflections... it actually works now.

I fear I have this problem too. Casting mirrored eyes displays the message 'gaze protection', and the character has the 'protection from petrification' buff. If I send him against a basilisk however, he gets petrified 100% of the times. Is it possible to fix this in NI on an ongoing game? I got version 1.4 (15th February).

I was pointed out that you set up the PI metadata to install this mod after Song & Silence bard kits. Do you have any reason why is the case?

Because I have a counter-reason why this should be before S&S - the Chorister kit in S&S converts the then-current Cure Wounds spells (although with reverting all updates in the description) to make it available in it's wizard spellbook and if one installs the bypass deflections tweak from this mod, it won't affect the Chorister counterpart spells (this same also applies to SCS's cure/cause wounds damage buff).

Edited by Graion Dilach

Yes I know; and in fact it is not used by Barkskin. This mod changes Barkskin to use the Stoneskin effect, blocking one attack each round by renewing a single stoneskin via repeating .EFF. Unfortunately, the Stoneskin effect is hard-coded to play that sound whenever the stoneskin expires. Which means that, for armor like this, the sound will drone on over and over, repeating every six seconds until you want to tear your ears off. It is quite annoying. There is no way to suppress it. So I had to balance the unpleasantness of hearing the sound repeatedly against the mild inconvenience of not hearing in in other circumstances. To me, the inconvenience is so slight as to be negligible. If I've got Blur, Free Action, Armor of Faith, and whatever other buffs on and they all expire at different times and they all play the same sound when they expire... then how useful is the sound in imparting information to me about which buff expired. Not very useful at all.

What I can do, is replicate that .WAV file and then patch any items and spells that explicitly use it in opcode 174, so they will still play the sound. But I cannot do anythign about other hard-coded instance of the sound; they will have to be sacrificed on the altar of MBGA.*

* ("Make Barkskin Great Again")

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

Yes I know; and in fact it is not used by Barkskin. This mod changes Barkskin to use the Stoneskin effect, blocking one attack each round by renewing a single stoneskin via repeating .EFF. Unfortunately, the Stoneskin effect is hard-coded to play that sound whenever the stoneskin expires. Which means that, for armor like this, the sound will drone on over and over, repeating every six seconds until you want to tear your ears off. It is quite annoying. There is no way to suppress it. So I had to balance the unpleasantness of hearing the sound repeatedly against the mild inconvenience of not hearing in in other circumstances. To me, the inconvenience is so slight as to be negligible. If I've got Blur, Free Action, Armor of Faith, and whatever other buffs on and they all expire at different times and they all play the same sound when they expire... then how useful is the sound in imparting information to me about which buff expired. Not very useful at all.

What I can do, is replicate that .WAV file and then patch any items and spells that explicitly use it in opcode 174, so they will still play the sound. But I cannot do anythign about other hard-coded instance of the sound; they will have to be sacrificed on the altar of MBGA.*

* ("Make Barkskin Great Again")

I understand now why it has to be done like this, thanks for that explanation !

Hello @subtledoctor! I really like these tweaks and decided to include in my playthrough.

However, if I may, I disagree with one of your tweaks:

Component 1611: Tweak Wondrous Recall

Instead of restoring two random spells you have no control over, this will now use a 6th-level slot to restore ALL 1st- and 2nd-level spells. If you have Item revisions installed, this will also affect Potions of Memory in the same way.

I don't think is completely true what you said. The fact you have no control over would be true in situations you cast a lot of spells, so WR restore randoms spells you casted. But if you cast the same spell 2 times, WR it just restores those 2 spells. (i.e.: if i decide to cast Chaotic commands with my cleric 2 times on 2 characters, and then i use WR, it restores the 2 Chaotic commands i casted, not random spells.) Just that.

Also, i'm curious about another thing: what would be the advantage to restore all 1st and 2nd level spells? Which spells from 1st and 2nd level deserve to be restored by WR ?

Thanks for answer, and again, great job with your mod.

And what characters, exactly, can cast both Wondrous Recall (a priest spell) and Nahal's Reckless Dweomer (a Wild Mage spell)?

Clerics do have some pretty decent level 1 and 2 spells. A few Commands, some Silences and Hold Persons, Bless/Chant/Remove Fear for the party, Armor of Faith and DUHM for the cleric themselves, or even just a pile of Cure Light Wounds ... you can get a lot of value out of those slots if you put your mind to it. Sure, they're not terribly powerful on an individual level, but you have a lot of those slots, and with this tweak you're getting all of them back.