Subtledoc's Random Tweaks

@subtledoctor So i have installed some of your tweaks and I really like them. Couple of questions though:

Is Shield Bashing configurable? First pip gives 1AC and 2AC for misile, could you make second pip like 1AC and 4 AC for misiles?

Also Sword and Shield Style doesn't work for slings ang your one handed crossbows. It would be actually useful for clerics if it did. 

Pls, make more options for most powerful changes - 0.5 apr for magic weapons for example, less powerful barkskin(block 1 attack per 2 or 3 round, when per 3 then 3 turns duration maybe), reworked goodberry also very powerful, maybe add option for 1 point per round and duration like 3+1 round/level, it also will be very good.

Reworked Otiluke's Sphere does not work for me at all.

Edited by chaoticN
On 12/4/2022 at 7:37 PM, chaoticN said:

more options for most powerful changes - 0.5 apr for magic weapons for example,

So, what, the idea is you cast Spiritual Hammer or Phantom Blade and it gives you a gimped weapon that is worse than the one you were already carrying? What would be the point of such a spell?

Small update to version 1.6:

• Missile Deflection in Blur and the Gloves of Missile Snaring was not working; should be fixed now
  • Tweak to the Missile Storm replacement for Sunfire: in some configurations it could send up to 12 missiles at each nearby enemy, doing 2d4 damage per projectile, for a total of up to 24d4 damage to each enemy in a party friendly AoE...! Was a bit ridiculous. Now it is toned down.
  • I made an alternate version which casts Agannazar's Scorcher at every nearby enemy. Still nominally party friendly, though of course Scorchers are always dangerous if you get caught in the middle! This might be wildly OP, depending on how you use it, but I made it as a proof-of-concept to retain some of the characteristics of the original Sunfire (fire-based, potentially harmful to nearby party members).
On 1/23/2023 at 8:50 PM, subtledoctor said:

Small update to version 1.6:

Hi, following you recent release, I updated the french translation there https://github.com/subtledoctor/d5_Random_Tweaks/pull/10

• The new strings you added in english were translated
  • The ones you added had some slight fixes done
  • I replaced the component names (which go in weidu.log) with pure ASCII (using UTF-8 for these was an error on my part).

(Really, shoudln't weidu normalize the content of weidu.log in a single charset?)

Hey there, I was going through the old SCS thread, and came upon this. 

You think you'd be interested in making a tweak like that? I'd certainly be interested in having it in my game.

Or a tweak that makes wing buffet blow through all spell protections, and not get blocked by a myriad of things.

Year later and I'm still trying to give dragons a bit more bite that isn't just more hp/damage.

On 1/28/2023 at 4:02 PM, mickabouille said:

Hi, following you recent release, I updated the french translation there https://github.com/subtledoctor/d5_Random_Tweaks/pull/10

• The new strings you added in english were translated
  • The ones you added had some slight fixes done
  • I replaced the component names (which go in weidu.log) with pure ASCII (using UTF-8 for these was an error on my part).

(Really, shoudln't weidu normalize the content of weidu.log in a single charset?)

Hi @subtledoctor

Might I get you interested in having a look at this translation update?

Greetings.

In my latest playthrough i had a weird crash each time i tried to rest at an inn. It took me long to debug because a) the assertion message printed was misleading, b) it only occured in inns (or so i thought). So, the assertion message made me think infinity animations related trouble and the crash at inns only made me think about the movie that plays during resting at an inn. Further testing showed that it also crashed in certain dungeons. So i tried uninstalling mod after mod to see which mod causes it and the crashes stopped after uninstalling d5_random_tweaks (i am not 100% sure but i think it was the stinking cloud or web tweak). It would never occur to me that a crash during resting would be due to a spell (which had not been casted any time in that area).

Anyway, to make a long story short, the problem is that d5_random_tweaks use opcodes (for example 335) that are not implemented on oBG2 (dltcep shows them correctly but Near Infinity shows every opcode > 318 as unknown) and that is causing crashes.

I had of course read the readme that says "Note: most or all of these use EE 2.0 engine features. One or two may work on the pre-EE game (e.g. adding saving throws to level drain attacks), but most will not". However, further down in the readme, in the individual spell descriptions, only a few components contain the label "EE-only". This, combined with the fact that i had read the tp2 file and many components had game_is guards to prevent installation on oBG2, gave me the impression that i can safely install the components that do not have guards.

This, of course, is not a jab at Subtledoctor. I thank you for your hard work giving us great mods. I just mention it here so that it doesn't catch any other oBG2 users off-guard.

I have locally commented all the lines that use opcodes > 318 and the game works perfectly without crashing any more but i haven't done any testing to see if the tweaked spells behave as expected.

Hi

Just a quick question:

Component 1351: Tweak Moonblade - if you don't have faerie fire as a spell does the Moonblade spell still cause this to happen? or is it possible to add faerie fire as a new spell to be added to your tweaks? Is there a mod that just allows for the addition of this one spell?

Component 2413: Tweak Otiluke's Sphere (EE-only) -  if I use two different mods to tweak this spell will there be conflicts?

Component 2305: Tweak Haste and Slow (SR-only, EE-only) - oddly I don't get this option to install this component in the vanilla game (EE) - it skips this during installation - does (SR-only, EE-only) mean you need to have both for it to be installed - I thought it was one or the other?

BTW - great mod, I like the tweaks that you have made and its one of the tweak packs that always gets added when I play. 

Requests/wish list (if you ever feel like an updated version of your tweaks):

1) can you make Luck last longer, 5 rounds is still too short - how about 1 round/level or even 1 turn so thieving bonuses or a small buff can be used longer and more effectively and if you do make it longer - make it so it only effects 1 person again (you gain something a longer duration but it only affects 1 person). 

2) would it be possible to make the tweaks to Stinking Cloud from your mod available to the vanilla game without having to install SR?

3) more of wish - can you tweak Negative Plane Protection - too make it last longer - 1 turn - but then again your tweaks do offer a saving throw against draining so maybe its not needed. 

4) a request/wish - would it be possible to make glyph of warding so it does not affect party members

5) can any tweak be done to the spells "cause medium/serious wounds" so it is not a touch attack or how about magical stone - so it is not totally useless.  (Yes, I know SR has an improved version of magical stone but you need to install all of SR to get it and I don't think SR allows for individual spells to be installed as that would make installing it crazy long). 

6) totally unrelated to your mod - I've read about klatu tweaks on the forums here - and I was wondering is there any place that this allows this mod to be downloaded as SHS link does not work. 

Thanks

Edited by magisensei

Just a heads-up that the Description for Faerie Fire needs to be updated:

"When this spell is cast, a pale glow surrounds and outlines all enemies within the area of effect, making their position and movements easily visible. Outlined creatures do not benefit from the concealment normally provided by darkness, invisibility, or similar effects, and suffer a -2 penalty to AC. Those who succeed at a save vs. breath are totally unaffected by the spell. The light is too dim to have any special effect on undead or dark-dwelling creatures vulnerable to light. The faerie fire does not cause any harm to the objects or creatures thus outlined."

Installed:

~D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS/D5_RANDOM_TWEAKS.TP2 #0 #1152 // Improve Faerie Fire: 1.6

Updated to version 1.7.1 with better gating of tweaks that have EE-only opcodes, and more comprehensive application of the changes to the Web spell (includes the druid/mimic/innate versions)

On 6/21/2023 at 3:36 PM, magisensei said:

Component 1351: Tweak Moonblade - if you don't have faerie fire as a spell does the Moonblade spell still cause this to happen? or is it possible to add faerie fire as a new spell to be added to your tweaks? Is there a mod that just allows for the addition of this one spell?

Yes, it uses a custom single-target Faerie Fire effect that does not depend on any particular version of the spell.

Component 2305: Tweak Haste and Slow (SR-only, EE-only)

Yes, this only works on the SR versions of Haste and Slow (because SR applies custom secondary types to the spells that this mod uses) and only works on the EE games (because it uses EE-only opcodes that will crash the pre-EE game)

Requests/wish list

All of those things are already done by Spell Revisions. I appreciate your desire to apply changes in a more granular fashion than SR's all-or-nothing approach. But I'm just not going to spend time to make tweaks that have already been made by another mod that I already install in my games. Sorry. :undecided: