Consistent soundset for EET

Is there a mod/tweak that makes so the vanilla NPCs soundset stays consistent through all EET (BG, SoD, BG2, ToB)?

I just moved from the BG to the SoD part of EET and hearing Viconia and other characters answer my clicks with completely different voices is very immersion breaking. 

3 hours ago, AL|EN said:

Yes, I knew it, the problem is this: "Currently it only works for Polish version of the game, but I'm open for adding support for different languages if someone is interested in contributing the code."😔

I'm not Polish and I don't understand it, but I'm very interested in the tweak 🙂 The other problem is that I wouldn't know how to contribute in the code, but I'd gladly start a campaign of some sort to raise interest.

P.S. Why does it say "Inconsistency between voice artists and/or performance in BG1 and BG2 is a big problem in some non English versions of the game."? I use the English version of the game and I find it a big problem too..

Edited by Blash2

Wow, interesting! I see Imoen is missing, but the reason is quite obvious..

@Ulb, considering @jastey's Imoen4Ever mod, would you think about adding Imoen too? Or maybe it's just about Imoen 4 Ever choosing BG1 soundset instead of SoD or BG2 (maybe a mod option?), since Ulb's mod deals only with SoD "existing" character and Imoen isn't one of those.

We still have the BG2 problem, the soundsets will still suddenly change from SoD to BG2 (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/52721/sod-and-bg1-soundsets).

On a sidenote, two considerations:

- the voice actors are the same for BG1, SoD and BG2, so voices should sound the same. However, considering 20 years have passed and technology used has changed, they don't. So, even if the person acting is the same, the voice sounds really different;

- I found the following consideration somewhere on some forum, but can't find it anymore. Anyway, it is true that BG1 had limited soundset, where SoD (for example) has many more sound effects (i.e. characters saying something when in BG1 they would have not).

EDIT: Found! https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60343/why-are-there-voice-changes

I'll paste this relevant comment:

"The other reason is that BG1 soundsets were incomplete. Less selection phrases, less battle cries, and completely lacking things like 'Hide in Shadows' comments, 'Pick Pockets' comments, and etc. Again, it'd be very inconsistent if new NPCs had full voicesets while the old party members used outdated ones."

From another forum, an ironic comment (https://steamcommunity.com/app/257350/discussions/2/2906376154317626317/😞

"I've made it into BG2 at this point, and I guess I'd just forgotten about Valygar, or maybe never used him before, but that dude's VO is some rough business.
And I want to strangle whoever's idea it was for characters to repeat their successful stealth line every time they make a stealth roll.
"I'm certain I'm out of sight. None shall see me n-" SHUT UP!"

So, to recap, adopting BG1 soundset for the whole EET also means deleting some sounds (the ones that don't have a BG1 correspondence), but I'd personally not care.

This also might prove useful: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/69714/bg1ee-bgsod-and-bg2ee-voice-packs-renamed-for-use-in-the-other-games

Also, @K4thos, would you consider updating your EET Tweak to work with English too?

Edited by Blash2

Ok, let's put some order in the mess I wrote.

Problem: vanilla NPC soundsets change from BG1 to SoD and again from SoD to BG2. Three different soundsets. This breaks immersion.

Here are the possible solutions I found. It's just brainstorming, don't take anything personally:

1. @K4thos expands his tweak to include English language;
2. @Ulb modifies his mod to work in the BG2 part of EET too;
3. With NearInfinity, I detect all the sound files for every NPC, for every game. I analyze them and find a correspondence for each (for example: Viconia BG1 battlecry, Viconia SoD battlecry, Viconia BG2 battlecry etc.). I make copies of BG1 sound files and I rename them using SoD and BG2 file names, and put the resulting renamed files in the override folder. I also detect voice lines that exist in SoD/BG2 but not in BG1 and for them I use empty audio files. It is quite difficult but technically possible. No mod required, just a lot of work.
4. A combination of the three previous solutions. For example (but I'm just speculating): @Ulb provides @K4thos with whatever is missing to complete the EET Tweak, I do the dirty work (if necessary) analyzing and categorizing the sound files.

I'm just gathering some ideas, I think there is material to achieve a nice result, solving a not critical but quite annoying issue.

What do you think?

7 hours ago, qwerty1234567 said:

😮 why didn't I see that mod before?

I searched around, it's almost not advertised and not discussed at all, but the tweaks seem awesome! Many are already present in other tweak packs, but many other are unique and extremely interesting!

So, it is fully compatible with EET? I'm somewhat confused, since the readme says "It will work with BG1, BG2BGT, Enhanced Editions (not all components are applicable to all games).".
Moreover it talks about the transition from BG1 to BG2, it doesn't talk about SoD at all.

I'm referring to:

BG1 soundsets prevail

Prefer BG1 sounds, after transition soundsets do not change.

https://github.com/BGforgeNet/bg2-tweaks-and-tricks/blob/master/README.md

8 hours ago, Blash2 said:

😮 why didn't I see that mod before?

I searched around, it's almost not advertised and not discussed at all, but the tweaks seem awesome! Many are already present in other tweak packs, but many other are unique and extremely interesting!

So, it is fully compatible with EET? I'm somewhat confused, since the readme says "It will work with BG1, BG2BGT, Enhanced Editions (not all components are applicable to all games).".
Moreover it talks about the transition from BG1 to BG2, it doesn't talk about SoD at all.

I'm referring to:

BG1 soundsets prevail

Prefer BG1 sounds, after transition soundsets do not change.

https://github.com/BGforgeNet/bg2-tweaks-and-tricks/blob/master/README.md

Hmm, honestly I'm not sure but the code for this component in .tp2 file is as follows:

BEGIN @82 /* BG1 soundsets prevail */
GROUP @227 /* Soundsets */
REQUIRE_PREDICATE (GAME_INCLUDES ~bg1~ AND GAME_INCLUDES ~bg2~) @80 /* BGT or EET only */
SUBCOMPONENT @81 /* Extended Soundsets for NPC */
OUTER_SET dominate = 1
COPY_EXISTING ~sw1h01.itm~ ~override/g_esbg1.itm~ //dummy detection file
INCLUDE ~%MOD_FOLDER%/extended_soundsets/main.tph~

I don't know anything about WeiDU coding, but comment suggests, it's compatible with EET.

EDIT: It doesn't seem this mod is natively compatible with EET, though. Which is a shame, because there is a couple of very interesting tweaks there, not covered by other Tweak Packs.

Edited by Cahir

I can confirm that this works well with BG2EE, I've tried a bunch of components but currently use:

tnt:10:Additions only
tnt:16:No talking when hiding in shadows
tnt:35:GSPA + holding - all bottomless!
tnt:37:Each stat except Wisdom gets +1, Wisdom gets +3
tnt:39:Can't steal from fences
tnt:42:Improved strongholds
tnt:44:Less autosaves

Several are slightly cheaty, but the starting bags are a huge QoL for solo plays and no talking while hiding is a boon if using thieves with stealth scripts.

It's not tested with EET (I think it requires SoD? and I don't have it). But most components should work on any game. You can test, report bugs to github and provide feedback on the forum.

A new version is due sometime soon, and it'll include more stuff, so it's a good time to chime in.

Edited by qwerty1234567

Thanks @Cahir and @4udr4n for the feedback!

@qwerty1234567, what about making it natively compatible with EET? I would gladly offer you a SoD license (I'm not joking). Since I'm not a modder and can contribute only to a lesser extent, I'd just be happy. 

Beside, you just wrote a new version is due soon, what better opportunity than this one to add full EET compatibility? I think many players would be enthusiast, also because, as @Cahir pointed out, there are some awesome tweaks not present anywhere else.

And, what about making a dedicated topic in this forum? In my opinion your tweak pack is not properly known and should have a better place.

In the meanwhile, I'll try to do an EET install with https://github.com/thisisulb/NoSoDSound and https://github.com/BGforgeNet/bg2-tweaks-and-tricks and find a way to verify if all the game will retain BG1 soundsets thanks to the combination of the two mods.

I'm talking about the topic here too: http://baldursextendedworld.com/Vanilla_Forums/discussion/855/npc-voices#latest.

Edited by Blash2
18 hours ago, Blash2 said:

@qwerty1234567 I would gladly offer you a SoD license (I'm not joking). Since I'm not a modder and can contribute only to a lesser extent, I'd just be happy.

That would come useful, not only to TnT, but to any mod using the Golem, please do get in touch if you decide to proceed.

18 hours ago, Blash2 said:

And, what about making a dedicated topic in this forum? In my opinion your tweak pack is not properly known and should have a better place.

You're welcome to. I, however, only track github and TnT's own forum, and can't guarantee responding to any messages posted elsewhere.

@qwerty1234567 send me a private message with your e-mail address, I will buy you a license straight away, with the sincere hope you'll make all your mods fully EET compatible (by the way, I noticed you're working on Unique Artifacts, that's another mod I'm very interested in).

@AstroBryGuy would you consider adding another option for your Jaheira Recast mod, that would be "keep BG1 character sounds"? Currently only new SoD and BG1+BG2 are available. Edit: I'm sorry.. it seems enough not to install Jaheira Recast to keep her BG1 soundset intact. Nevermind and I seize the opportunity to thank you for your work 🙂

Edited by Blash2