Release Candidate 1 for IWDification Now Available

Hello, Does the iwdification supposed to worked with BGee 1 ? Because i can install pretty much all the component except the Added spell (Arcane or divine).

Good day and thanks to the reply in advance.

Ps: i have tried with the iwdification beta_6 and the spell can be installed so the problem comes from the release candidate 1.

Edited by pierpoljack

Updating French translation, I noticed "@" characters have been replaced with %atsymbol% variables, which is not the case in en_us folder.

Moreover, the classes strref replacements won't be efficient because they are not the same in BG2 vanilla, BG2 patched with the French correct Pack mod, BG2:EE prior patch 2.6, and the so-called "professional" French localization provided by patch 2.6.0 which is nothing else but "foutage de gueule" (I let you translate this); so much that a translators pool is currently working  on a correct pack that will affect almost all dialog.tlk entries... :schimpf:

Edited by Gwendolyne

I've gone through the spells, here's my exhaustive feedback. Most of it are bugs and inconsistencies and some are subjective balance issues:

Spoiler

Component IWD style casting glows:

The graphics are outdated and the casting glows in IWDEE are softer. I'd port the various CG... projectiles over as well as all the casting sounds CHA_... There should be 3x2x8=48 different casting sounds.

Component spells from IWD:

• Curse: Should use BG-style projectile Sparkle_Area_Purple_Not_Party (SPARPUNP.pro). Should also dispel and be dispelled by Bless (bug in IWD).
  • Entangle: IWD version of this spell has a smaller area of effect but grants no bonus to saving throws like the BG version.
  • Magic Stone: IWD version is more potent than BG versions.
  • Sanctuary: IWD version of this spell has a different duration (2 rounds + 1 round/level) vs. BG1/2 (1 turn)
  • Cause Light/Moderate/Medium Wounds: It would make sense to have the same behavior as the BG2 versions of Cause Serious/Critical Wounds by creating a melee item and allowing extraplanar creatures to be affected. I suggest COPY_EXISTING "SERIOUS.itm" "CDLIGHT.itm" etc. as a template. Alternatively, there could be a seperate component to change the icons and behavior of all Cause Wounds + Harm spells to IWD:EE style without item creation (and possibly extraplanar immunity). Note: This issue may/may not also apply to Cause Disease since it's a touch spell.
  • Cure/Cause Medium Wounds (L3 spell): With the presence of the L2 Moderate Wounds spells, the name is a bit too similar and can be confused with the L2 spell. I'd rename these spells to "Intermediate Wounds" since they don't exist in PnP anyway. I know this confusion also exists in IWDEE. Obviously, we wouldn't dare touch the IDS_SYMBOL of these spells.
  • Cloudburst: I noticed in IWDEE it doesn't remove the Shroud of Flame subspells SPWI524B/C.spl properly. Is a bug in 2.6. One way to enhance this spell (it's a bit underpowering imo) is to have it negate/protect against all fire-based spells of 3rd level or lower. It does something similar in PnP source material. It can also halt all movement and reduce vision during those 2 rounds and make bows/crossbows ineffective. Or reduce cold resistance by 50% (if creatures aren't naturally immune to cold) so cold spells become more effective during those 1-2 rounds. There is a lot of creative potential in this spell imho.
  • Circle of Bones: Status icon doesn't work.
  • Moonblade: I'd remove the glow and do a recolor of SPFLMBLD.bam using the blue palette of OHDSTREE.bam (BG2EE). MOONBLA.itm needs to use BG style visuals (invocation/red SHEARTH, glow)
  • Unfailing Endurance: Should be using BG-style necromancy/aqua SHAIR and glow.
  • Smashing Wave: Child projectile embedded as a ray is missing its smoke/trail animation. The ini files can be copied over from IWD as nothing is taking its place in BG1/2.
  • Star Metal Cudgel: SMCUDGE.itm should use BG style visuals (conjuration/purple SHEARTH, glow)
  • Spike Stones: Displays the slowed status icon even though all it does is reduce movement (126) without slowing. There's a Reduced Movement Rate status icon in 2.6 now.
  • Shield of Lathander: Displays the Frozen Fist status icon. I suggest an ADD_STATUS_ICON function that looks for a particular status icon .bam when replacing/adding existing status icons.
  • Mass Cause Light Wounds: Should use projectile "Sparkle_Area_Ice_Not_Party" (SPARICNP.pro). Visuals should match other cause wounds (i.e. SERIOUS.itm, CRITICAL.itm, HARM.itm)
  • Physical Mirror: Why is there a duplicate of the 6th level spell at 5th level?
  • Entropy Shield: Visual should be green/abjuration SHWATER and play EFF_P01 when spell is cast. Status icon shows "Flaming Fists"
  • Sol's Searing Orb: I like the IWD version of the spell much better (visuals, effects, everything). The spell is underwhelming in BG1/2.
  • Spiritual Wrath: Missing red/invocation SHAIR visual to accompany the glow. Sound not necessary since the damage sound takes over. Also, the child projectile is missing its smoke/trail animation.
  • Earthquake: One of the rare instances where the IWD version is party-friendly while the BG version isn't.
  • Greater Shield of Lathander: Displays the Armor of Faith status icon
  • Stalker: I'd use similar visuals to Elemental Summoning (SPPORTAL.vvc) and use the BG2 style opcode 67 as external .effs
  • (Greater) Elemental Summoning: Would be nice to have a % chance for Water Elementals too. Even if these HLAs aren't IWD material. Speaking of which, priests do not have Water Elemental as an option in IWD which is a shame. :(
  • Regeneration: It makes sense to change the visuals to what IWDEE has bcuz Righteous Wrath of the Faithful has been imported and uses those visuals.
  • Symbol Pain: The description says the symbol is activated the instant the spell is cast when in reality it's a glyph projectile that waits until an enemy gets too close. I'd change the description so it's more consistent with the other symbol spells when behave the same way except Symbol of Hopelessness (see below). The radius stated in the description doesn't match the projectile.
  • Symbol Hopelessness: idpro277.pro has its secondary projectile incorrectly set. It should look for 230-Icewind_Glyph_Hit (ICGHIT).
  • Seems as though there's a great deal of inconsistency between stated areas of effect and ICEGLYP.pro/idpro277.pro so I'd do a review of the Glyph of Warding/Symbol spells. They should generally have similar areas of effect. Symbol spells can be grouped into a single spell with a spell immunity menu to make them very appealing for the player. Subspells need to be added to HIDESPL.2da and the immunity menu .2da needs to match the main spell resname so that trigger/contingency spells can pick up on the subspells. It could be an idea for a seperate component, possibly affecting other groups of spells as well (i.e. Emotion, Cause/Cure Wounds, Harm/Heal, Regeneration/Wither Elemental Summoning spells, etc.)
  • Wither: I'd replace the HARMH.vvc with SPCAUSEW.vvc (like the other Harm/Cause Wounds spells in BG2). Keep the red glow since that has been implemented in BG1/2 for those types of spells. Also, do extraplanar creatures need to be protected in BG2 like in IWD?
  • Destruction: Subjective, but wouldn't the Finger of Death visual be more appropriate for BG1/2?
  • Grease: Affects a smaller radius in IWD:EE but no bonus to save like in BG1/2.
  • Chill Touch: It's different in IWD:EE but undead fear is problematic to implement.
  • Sleep: It affects only 2d4 HD of creatures in IWDEE but allows no save like it does in BG1/2 though it's awaken-on-hit. Also affects a small radius. I like this version of the spell better than BG1/2 which is a humongous radius for a L1 spell.
  • Expeditious Retreat: I actually think this spell is subpar for L1 because it disables everything except movement. In PnP this spell lasts for 3 rounds plus 1 round/level and the only limitation is no attacking while moving which is true in the IE anyway. I'd make this a simple 3 + 1 round/level caster-only speed haste which is appropriate given that a L3 spell does more in an area of effect.
  • Agannazar's Scorcher: The spell in IWD is weaker and it enables thief evasion for secondary targets (not the primary one though). Maybe secondary targets can use evasion in BG1/2 as well if thief evasion is implemented?
  • Decastave: I'd remove the glow and the SHAIR lighting effects from the base spell. DECASTA.itm needs to be updated to use red SHEARTH and glow.
  • Ghoul Touch: Slightly longer duration in IWD.
  • Lance of Disruption: Missing its smoke/trail .bams and .ini
  • Monster Summoning: These spells use IWD style summoning visuals which imo look better but they're not widely used in BG1/2. They also use the IWD style summoning smoke which should be changed to the BG style SPGFLSH1.vvc. Animal Summoning hasn't been changed so ideally, you should use the BG2 style monster summoning opcode (127) with the existing tables MONSUM0[4-7].2da. Wouldn't it be cool to summon Greater Basilisks which are already included in MONSUM07.2da?
  • Ice Storm: Is the BG or IWD version preferred? The damage and explosion count is different.
  • Emotion spells: the projectiles should appear more similar to the small area of effect sparkle area gold projectiles (i.e. HOLD.pro). Because of the reduced radius of Emotion Hopelessness what would make Emotion spells appealing is a spell immunity style menu for all 4 spells. They need to be added to HIDESPL.2da and a new master spell needs to be added with the same resname.2da pointing to the child spells.
  • Conjure Lesser Water Elemental: Should use BG style summoning opcode, like other Conjure Lesser Elemental spells.
  • Shroud of Flame: Status Icon doesn't work.
  • Summon Shadow, Shades, Demishadow Monsters, Shadow Monsters: I think SPPORTAL.vvc is more appropriate but it needs to be used via the BG2 monster summoning opcode because of a hardcoded delay at which the monsters appear (exact delay in ticks is keyed to the .vvc name).
  • Antimagic Shell: Status Icon doesn't work.
  • Death Fog: Would it make sense to change the effects (increasing damage & slow instead of removing summons) to IWD? The AI uses Death Spell instead to remove summons and it would be nice to differentiate this spell from DS.
  • Darts of Bone: DOBONE.itm uses IWD style visuals. Should be using necromancy/aqua SHEARTH plus accompanying glow and sound
  • Lich Touch: LTOUCH.spl should be using necromancy/aqua SHEARTH plus accompanying glow and sound. Currently using IWD-style visuals.
  • Otiluke's Freezing Sphere: The save to completely negate damage is a bit underwhelming compared to Cone of Cold which is save for half. It's a bit tricky because in IWD damage for many spells is capped at L30. Admittedly, it's an impractical spell in IWD as well since overkill from cold destroys loot.
  • Seven Eyes: Spell resnames in the 7EYES.2da need to be keyed to all the different clones/variations of BG1/2. Mod spells too if mod compatibility is a priority i.e. all the SCS spell duplicates. Eye of Fortitude should cast Shout not Vitriolic Sphere and target an area.
  • Mordenkainen's Force Blade: Why not use identical visuals to the L2 Flame Blade/L7 Mordy's Sword?
  • Horrid Wilting: Would be cool to have this spell affect water-based creatures like in IWD. Don't think damage scaling to L30 is necessary (it's party-friendly unlike in IWD).
  • Iron Body: Visuals should be similar to Iron Skins? It's currently using IWD-style visuals. Spell should protect against a wider range of petrification i.e. Basilisk Stare BASIGAZE.itm
  • Power Word Kill: in IWD it's an area of effect spell. It's not the strongest 9th level spell in BG2 so it could make sense to use IWD's version.

Edited by Galactygon
On 7/28/2021 at 6:38 PM, CamDawg said:

And while it's rare, it also means you can share subspells (or EFFs) between spells which may have different power levels, saves, or MR checks. Something like cdhda60.eff is used by IIRC seven spells, at varying power and saves.

Yes, this is certainly a valid argument... Anyway, As Galactygon said, whatever the case, mechanics should be consistent across the board.

14 hours ago, Galactygon said:

Spike Stones: There's a Reduced Movement Rate status icon in 2.6 now.

Really? There's "Increased Movement Rate" (index #195 in BG(2)EE, index #193 in IWDEE), but I'm not seeing a "Reduced Movement Rate" status icon...

14 hours ago, Galactygon said:

Antimagic Shell:

Do you know why there are a lot of op206 effects protecting the caster from all those AoE spells?

Unless I'm missing something, op102 (Immunity to spell level) is perfectly able to block effects delivered by AoE projectiles... As a result, they seem to be redundant and should probably be removed...?

15 hours ago, Galactygon said:

Chill Touch: undead fear is problematic to implement.

Thankfully, it is not so problematic. I provided a quick hotfix here...

15 hours ago, Galactygon said:

Shades, Demishadow Monsters, Shadow Monsters

The LIZARD_MAN\(_ELITE\)? animations (used by "SS1LIZ3.CRE" and the like) wield invisible weapons in BG(2)EE, and I really can't understand why it is so (already reported here some years ago...). I mean, their weapon "#S1-12.ITM" is using a valid weapon appearance (namely "QS"). However, it is completely invisible... Also for the record, everything is fine with existing Lizard Men files (such as "BAZLIZ03.CRE"), so what the hell is happening here...

The LIZARD_MAN\(_ELITE\)? animations (used by "SS1LIZ3.CRE" and the like) wield invisible weapons in BG(2)EE, and I really can't understand why it is so (already reported here some years ago...). I mean, their weapon "#S1-12.ITM" is using a valid weapon appearance (namely "QS"). However, it is completely invisible... Also for the record, everything is fine with existing Lizard Men files (such as "BAZLIZ03.CRE"), so what the hell is happening here...

Summoning @Gwendolyne as well...

This has been fixed for the next IA release. However, the code worked fine with patch 2.5. I did not test it yet with new patch 2.6. I am currently checking all bam and sound clips files to be sure the core component won't install or patch files that might be added or fixed by the new patch.

However, if you discover new glitches with creature weapons overlay, fell free to notice them in the repo.

Edited by Gwendolyne
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Really? There's "Increased Movement Rate" (index #195 in BG(2)EE, index #193 in IWDEE), but I'm not seeing a "Reduced Movement Rate" status icon...

Oops, my bad. Looks like this hasn't been implemented. Spike Stones does display "Slow" in IWD:EE as well.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Do you know why there are a lot of op206 effects protecting the caster from all those AoE spells?

Unless I'm missing something, op102 (Immunity to spell level) is perfectly able to block effects delivered by AoE projectiles... As a result, they seem to be redundant and should probably be removed...?

Opcode 102 doesn't protect against area of effect projectiles if coming from the caster. If you remove the 102s from MGoI you can damage yourself with a Fireball. In Antimagic Shell's case they aren't necessary since spellcasting is disabled anyway.

4 hours ago, Gwendolyne said:

This has been fixed for the next IA release.

Could you please tell me what was the issue?

4 hours ago, Galactygon said:

Opcode 102 doesn't protect against area of effect projectiles if coming from the caster.

Yes and no.

The key point here is the "Hostile" flag (ITM / SPL / V2 EFF) => since Fireball is flagged as "Hostile", then there's no need to add an op206 for it (and in fact, MGOI does not have one). However, that's not true for all offensive AoE spells, that's why MGOI needs an op206 effect for spells like Stinking Cloud...

Having said that, as you correctly said, In Antimagic Shell's case they aren't necessary since spellcasting is disabled anyway...

Guest IWDification fan

Just want to confirm as posted above that IWDification RC1 fails to install on 2.6.6.

The relevant error seems to be:

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
Resource [msummo4.2da] not found in KEY file:
[./chitin.key]
Stopping installation because of error.

On 7/26/2021 at 8:11 PM, Galactygon said:

There are arguments for this, since Earthquake bypasses MR. Though Spike Growth and Entangle do not. There's no real consistency for this. These spells change the environment rather than affect the creatures directly. I'm on the fence for this.

To tell the truth, Earthquake doesn't really bypass MR.

In particular, the Damage opcode bypasses it, whereas the Sleep one does not, so once again I'm not sure about the original intentions here...

However, as you said, they're supposed to change the surrounding environment, so they should probably bypass MR...

10 hours ago, Luke said:

they're supposed to change the surrounding environment, so they should probably bypass MR

This gets into a very deep and annoying rules-lawyering rabbit hole.

• Why does MR block Fireball? The magic creates the fire but once it exists it's just the fire that harms targets (it does fire damage). That's not magical.
  • Okay maybe Fireball has a magical delivery mechanism, but what about IWD's Produce Fire? It's a much more natural manifestation of fire.
  • Should Acid Arrow or Vitriolic Sphere bypass MR? Magic creates acid but it's the acid that harms you, not the magic per se. (Acid damage)
  • What about Thorn Spray? They're just thorns. (Piercing damage)
  • What about Smashing Wave? It's the water that knocks you down. (Crushing damage)
  • What about dragons' wing buffet? Nothing magical about that (except, you know, their whole existence).

No no, you say, thing harmful material/aspect of those spells is created by magic, but even after being created it is still driven by magic, still infused with magic, still inherently a magical effect.

To which I retort, then why do Melf's Minute Meteors bypass MR? Or the fire or poison etc. from weapon on-hit effects? The same is true there, it's all magical. In Forgotten Realms lore is there some special treatment for .itm files? Of course not.

EDIT - I could see a system whereby MR only blocks spells that target a specific person; the spell needs must magically 'lock on' to the target, and presumably MR could disrupt that process. This would explain Minute Meteors - they have no magical targeting, they can miss! - but it also suggests AoE elemental effects like Produce Fire should bypass MR.

Eh, I've stopped trying to fix this sort of stuff. If Earthquake bypasses MR, it is because it is 7th-level magic, end of story. Entangle is weak magic, and therefore subject to MR unless there is a specific reason it needs to bypass MR (see e.g. Spell Thrust).

Edited by subtledoctor