Skills and Abilities Mod

1 minute ago, Greenhorn said:

Percentage chance to block attack with the shield perhaps? 🤔

Could be done. You can't really do it on a per-attack basis. It's more like, a repeating effect once per round that makes you immune to physical hits; and once you are hit the immunity goes away. So you could apply a percentage chance to the effect each round, meaning some rounds you will block one hit and other rounds you just won't. It would more or less achieve the desired effect.

Alternatively, you could make an aura that applies an APR penalty to the nearest attacker, once per round. Could make it a -0.5 penalty so that it doesn't drop anyone to zero APR; or make it a full -1 penalty (or even set to zero!) but with only a percent chance of happening. (Or allow a save, or something.) That would be effective in a duel; but would not help much when you are surrounded by xvarts or kobolds.

Alternatively, honestly, just go vanilla style and apply a beefy AC bonus. This ultimately has the effect of reducing incoming hits, and it scales up better against crowds of enemies...

12 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Could be done. You can't really do it on a per-attack basis. It's more like, a repeating effect once per round that makes you immune to physical hits; and once you are hit the immunity goes away. So you could apply a percentage chance to the effect each round, meaning some rounds you will block one hit and other rounds you just won't. It would more or less achieve the desired effect.

Alternatively, you could make an aura that applies an APR penalty to the nearest attacker, once per round. Could make it a -0.5 penalty so that it doesn't drop anyone to zero APR; or make it a full -1 penalty (or even set to zero!) but with only a percent chance of happening. (Or allow a save, or something.) That would be effective in a duel; but would not help much when you are surrounded by xvarts or kobolds.

Alternatively, honestly, just go vanilla style and apply a beefy AC bonus. This ultimately has the effect of reducing incoming hits, and it scales up better against crowds of enemies...

Interesting ideas. I thought that something like Entropic shield could be implemented:

Entropic shield - 20% chance for enemies to miss with ranged attacks

but for melee. 

2 hours ago, morpheus562 said:

Okay, so bright side my approach works and it successfully blocks 1 attack 20% of the time each round. Bad side the character turns grey for the round this is active.

Yeah one of my applications of this is as a revised version of Barkskin, so I can cover it up with the green/brown barkskin coloring. 

You could patch the executable to remove the grey effect from Stoneskin. 

Another possibility, which I haven't tried yet, is to mimic what OlvynChuru does for his Deflect Missiles ability. It uses 7EYES.2da to apply a Seven Eyes defensive effect, which can block one attack type. And simply applies it with a 6-second duration, once per round. He has it block the missile damage type, which is straightforward; melee attacks might not work as well since there are three or four damage types and you want to block one attack of any of them, not one attack of each type. I’ve never gotten an answer from the Olvyn/Kjeron/Bubb types as to whether this could work; but maybe it’s worth playing around with it? It’s pretty easy to code it up in Weidu, the only question is whether it will work.

The last option I’m aware of, which I’ve only recently started messing around with, is to apply Protection from Weapons (PfNW and PfMW combined) to the character. Hits have no effect but they do register; so you can apply a contingency that casts a subspell when hit, which would cancel the weapon immunity and, six seconds later, re-apply the immunity and the contingency (if you are carrying a shield). This is functionally like a once-per-round Stoneskin, except there is no grey visual effect and Stoneskin lets elemental damage through while this blocks it. 

7Eyes would be the best, if it works. But it’s the only method I haven’t yet seen working. 

There are none. I actually already had those installed together on Saturday and tested it already. ;)

They might overlap a bit but unless they touch the exact weapon class's base damage, they don't collide and FWT leaves the NWN2 crits untouched.

Migrating to your proficiency system was my main reason for reinstalling this time (and I wanted that ioun stone in my game I cooked up for a random Beamdog forumer).

Edited by Graion Dilach