Skills and Abilities Mod

A question about the new proficiencies you added, is it intentional that every class (at least the bunch I checked in character creation) are able to spend a pip in both divine and spellcraft? Only one though, unless they are a divine or arcane class respectively, so it's possibly not very optimal to do so. Although the AC bonus from divine is interesting to everyone.

Related, should monks maybe be able to invest up to 5 pips in divine? It's limited to one now.

4 hours ago, Satrhan said:

A question about the new proficiencies you added, is it intentional that every class (at least the bunch I checked in character creation) are able to spend a pip in both divine and spellcraft? Only one though, unless they are a divine or arcane class respectively, so it's possibly not very optimal to do so. Although the AC bonus from divine is interesting to everyone.

Related, should monks maybe be able to invest up to 5 pips in divine? It's limited to one now.

I have to do that to work around a limitation in the game. If fighters couldn't put any pips in spellcraft and they decided to dual class to mage, then once the fighter levels return they will not be able to put more pips in spellcraft. By allowing fighters to put 1 pip in spellcraft/divine, it's allows them to continue putting points in these proficiencies once they get their fighter class back.

Hello @morpheus562,

A issue I forgot to mention because the component work fine on EET and BG2EE...

The component "~Update Skills for Rangers~" cannot be installed on BGEE (SoD) !

Something about "skills-and-abilities/data/spl/SPCL922.spl"

Spoiler
Installation en cours [Mise a jour des Competences des Rodeurs] [v0.9-alpha]
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Copying and patching 1 file ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
ERROR: error loading [skills-and-abilities/data/spl/SPCL922.spl]
Stopping installation because of error.

ERREUR pendant l'installation de [Mise a jour des Competences des Rodeurs], retour a l'etat anterieur
Will uninstall  12 files for [SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES/SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES.TP2] component 40.
Uninstalled     12 files for [SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES/SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES.TP2] component 40.
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "skills-and-abilities/data/spl/SPCL922.spl")
S'IL VOUS PLAIT, envoyez par e-mail le fichier SETUP-SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES.DEBUG a Grammarsalad and morpheus562
Using Language [French]

I try both language, with and without EEex and asked someone else to test on is side...

Same for Beamdog and GOG versions...

But it's strange that nobody has reported it yet !

2 hours ago, JohnBob said:

Hello @morpheus562,

A issue I forgot to mention because the component work fine on EET and BG2EE...

The component "~Update Skills for Rangers~" cannot be installed on BGEE (SoD) !

Something about "skills-and-abilities/data/spl/SPCL922.spl"

Reveal hidden contents
Installation en cours [Mise a jour des Competences des Rodeurs] [v0.9-alpha]
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
Appending to files ...
ERROR: error loading [skills-and-abilities/data/spl/SPCL922.spl]

ERREUR pendant l'installation de [Mise a jour des Competences des Rodeurs], retour a l'etat anterieur
Will uninstall  12 files for [SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES/SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES.TP2] component 40.
Uninstalled     12 files for [SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES/SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES.TP2] component 40.
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "skills-and-abilities/data/spl/SPCL922.spl")
S'IL VOUS PLAIT, envoyez par e-mail le fichier SETUP-SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES.DEBUG a Grammarsalad and morpheus562
Using Language [French]

I try both language, with and without EEex and asked someone else to test on is side...

Same for Beamdog and GOG versions...

But it's strange that nobody has reported it yet !

Thanks for the update! I'm going to include @Grammarsaladsince he is focusing on those ranger updates along with barbarian skills.

6 minutes ago, Mordekaie said:

Does Skills & Abilities synergize well (and is compatible) with Scale of Balance from @subtledoctor?

Especcialy for the two components:

102 - IWO - Functional Weapon Tweaks

125 - WPO - APR on Spec  

Skills and Abilities should be compatible with 102 - IWO - Functional Weapon Tweaks and 125 - WPO - APR on Spec. I would recommend Scales of Balance be installed BEFORE Skills and Abilities. 

I'm playing with this mod in bg1, still early game so hard to tell the effects of the new proficiency system.

However I noticed all companions (so far) have pips in some of the new proficiencies. Kagain and Morty start with 4 in conditioning, Imoen got two, and Xzar and Eldoth have two points in spellcraft. Is this intentional?

3 hours ago, Satrhan said:

I'm playing with this mod in bg1, still early game so hard to tell the effects of the new proficiency system.

However I noticed all companions (so far) have pips in some of the new proficiencies. Kagain and Morty start with 4 in conditioning, Imoen got two, and Xzar and Eldoth have two points in spellcraft. Is this intentional?

Kagain and Morty should start with 4 in whatever their base class has. I'm guessing you're running an npc mod that starts then at level 0 for level ups? If so, what npc mod are you using to update starting class, etc.? 

Edited by morpheus562

Intention is to assign currently assigned pips back into their respective profs. For kagain, I think this is 2 in axes then 2 in sword and shield style. Characters that have 2 in two handed swords and 2 in bastard sword will have 2 added to the new large sword prof with 2 remaining to go into another prof. Skills and Abilities well then run checks on if a weapon is two handed, if the character is wearing heavy armor, if they are a caster, etc. I'm guessing SCS sets pips to 0 to allow the npc updates. I'll dig more into those SCS component to see what is going on.

3 minutes ago, Satrhan said:

Yeah it gives you the four pips back, and you can spend them however you want. But in addition to those, you also have 4 pips already assigned in conditioning. So in effect they actually got 8 pips at level 1.

Correct. I made an update and now it doesn't assign any points if the character is level 0. Gonna test then push the release which will correct your issue. In the interim, you can remove the four points using eekeeper.

New proficiencies in the works. So far:

SWIFTBLADE: This proficiency allows one to combine arcane-assisted speed with melee skill to turn a first strike into a deadly assault. With this proficiency, one discovers unconventional ways to utilize the haste spell. All abilities are cumulative.

• Arcane Reflexes (1 slot): The character gains a -2 bonus to Speed Factor while under the effects of a haste spell.
  • Swift Surge (2 slots): The character gains +1 bonus to Thac0 and AC while under the effects of a haste spell.
  • Blurred Alacrity (3 slots): The character becomes blurred while under the effects of a haste spell.
  • Greater Swift Surge (4 slots): The character gains an additional bonus to Thac0 and AC bringing it to +2 while under the effects of a haste spell.
  • Evasive Celerity (5 slots): The character gains +10% magic resistance while under the effects of a haste spell.

PALE MASTER: This proficiency path allows one to master the deathless arts. With this proficiency, one draws on a font of special lore that provides a macabre power all its own.

• Darkvision (1 slot): The character gains the ability to see in the dark.
  • Bone Skin (2 slots): The character's flesh becomes tough and cadaverous providing +2 bonus to AC.
  • Deathless Vigor (3 slots): The character gains a +2 bonus to save vs. Paralysis / Poison / Death
  • Tough as Bone (4 slots): The character becomes immune to hold, paralysis, and stun effects.
  • Deathless Mastery (5 slots): The character gains immunity to all forms of death magic.

Please Note: Spell Penetration will require EEex and it requires adjustments to an existing opcode to work. No ETA on when/if this will be available.

SPELL PENETRATION: This proficiency allows a caster to bypass a portion of a target's magic resistance.

• Spell Penetration (1 slot): The wizard can bypass 10% of a target's magic resistance.
  • Greater Spell Penetration (2 slots): The wizard can bypass 25% of a target's magic resistance.
Edited by morpheus562