Skills and Abilities Mod

Guest soulpillar

I think there's a strange interaction with the tweak pack's weapon proficiency option. When I selected the BG1+weapon style option, the the '2H damage bonus' didn't apply and the .5 apr bonus from 2h weapon style didn't apply either.

Went away immediately once I stopped using the tweak pack's weapon proficiency option and used Skill's and Abilities own proficiency overhaul.

Not really a serious concern, but it perplexed me for a long time until I fiddled with things enough.

4 hours ago, Guest soulpillar said:

I think there's a strange interaction with the tweak pack's weapon proficiency option. When I selected the BG1+weapon style option, the the '2H damage bonus' didn't apply and the .5 apr bonus from 2h weapon style didn't apply either.

Went away immediately once I stopped using the tweak pack's weapon proficiency option and used Skill's and Abilities own proficiency overhaul.

Not really a serious concern, but it perplexed me for a long time until I fiddled with things enough.

Well duh, the bg1 style weapons don't use the weapon styles at all. And I don't think the mods option allow you to put points into the weapon style any longer. So maybe the Skills and Abilities needs to check if the tweaks mod is installed yeah..

On 3/27/2022 at 7:10 PM, morpheus562 said:

I'm going to make some updates tonight on how prof points will be distributed along with ensuring npcs gain the new Conditioning prof. Are there any other changes/updates people want to see made? Any new features they would like to see added?

I was just looking at the Wizard Slayer component and thinking it would be great if you separate out the Detect Illusions mechanic from the other elements. That way it might be able to be used with other mods that change this kit (like Artisan's Wizard Slayer).

9 hours ago, Nameless_Knight said:

I was just looking at the Wizard Slayer component and thinking it would be great if you separate out the Detect Illusions mechanic from the other elements. That way it might be able to be used with other mods that change this kit (like Artisan's Wizard Slayer).

I'm normally for doing things like that, but there are so many different mods that alter wizard slayer and I would need to account for all of them in order to update the kit description correctly. It is simply much easier to wrap it into my vision of the kit and not split it out.

15 hours ago, morpheus562 said:

I'm normally for doing things like that, but there are so many different mods that alter wizard slayer and I would need to account for all of them in order to update the kit description correctly. It is simply much easier to wrap it into my vision of the kit and not split it out.

Fair enough.

Edit: In that case I would also encourage you to develop this concept of the wizard slayer if you ever find the time. I think it makes for a rather ingenious compound of two typically under-utilised game features - detect illusions and the wizard slayer class itself. It also complements group mechanics, allowing one to separate out more skills from the thief and thereby reduce dependence on the latter. It works well with the UI. It works for RP reasons. AFAIK, no other wizard slayer mod includes the detect illusions feature either.

If you do decide to work on it further, I would suggest updating the readme to clarify a few points:

1) Is the detect illusion ability added as per the thief UI or as an innate ability? (I presume the former since it involves EEeX)
2) Is the cumulative chance of spell failure % applied by hits made by ranged attacks? 

3) You may also want to add a general note about potential compatibility with other kits.

I would also suggest considering adding some innate abilities, rather along the lines of Artisan's wizard slayer or the wizard slayer rebalancing mod by AlexT. This would complement the rather more passive detect illusions skill with actions for a more active role in combat.

I think this would make for another compelling reason to consider the S&A mod in general.

Edited by Nameless_Knight
2 hours ago, Nameless_Knight said:

1) Is the detect illusion ability added as per the thief UI or as an innate ability? (I presume the former since it involves EEeX)

Yes, this is added as part of the UI.

2) Is the cumulative chance of spell failure % applied by hits made by ranged attacks? 

Yes

3) You may also want to add a general note about potential compatibility with other kits.

It's pretty common knowledge not to mod two kit overhauls on top of one another. Only time, my opinion, there should be a compatability call-out is if they DO work with one another.

I would also suggest considering adding some innate abilities, rather along the lines of Artisan's wizard slayer or the wizard slayer rebalancing mod by AlexT. This would complement the rather more passive detect illusions skill with actions for a more active role in combat.

I think this would make for another compelling reason to consider the S&A mod in general.

I disagree. I'm already doing a number of things no other Wizard Slayer kit overhaul does which provides compelling enough reason to choose this version over any other.

2 hours ago, morpheus562 said:

New component for next release: Physical Attacks Break Time Stop. If a creature is attacked during a Time Stop, they will break free and become immune to the effects of the Time Stop for the next round. This should reduce some player cheese of Time Stop + 10 APR attacks.

An interesting idea but i'm a little wary because it essentially makes timestop a pure caster tool while the larger world of endgame difficulty mods has balanced around making timestops or at least immunity to timestops available to certain melee fighters. 

Hi Morpheus, I was looking at your mod for a new install, and I had some questions/suggestions. 

- You have a component that allows multi classes to reach higher proficiency levels. Would a component that allows the other warrior classes, rangers and paladins, to do the same be interesting? 

- Would it be possible to split up the consolidated weapon proficiencies from the new ones, for those that only want a bit less narrow weapon selection? I'm a bit in doubt as to where I'd put the thrown weapon style and archery weapon style, they seem like fine additions to the regular styles without changing the game too much. 

- The proficiency group 'exotic swords' sounds a bit off to me. Every other name is a description of the weapon or their function, but these are described as unusual or not from here. Perhaps 'Single edged blades/swords' or even 'curved swords' (although I don't think ninjato's are curved?) would fit better?

1 minute ago, Satrhan said:

You have a component that allows multi classes to reach higher proficiency levels. Would a component that allows the other warrior classes, rangers and paladins, to do the same be interesting? 

Sorry, but I have no interest in this. Fighters should be the only class able to advance in weapon styles and it is further reinforced in later editions of DnD. Archer (ranger) is the only exception.

4 minutes ago, Satrhan said:

Would it be possible to split up the consolidated weapon proficiencies from the new ones, for those that only want a bit less narrow weapon selection? I'm a bit in doubt as to where I'd put the thrown weapon style and archery weapon style, they seem like fine additions to the regular styles without changing the game too much. 

There is Tweaks Anthology for combining the weapon groups (multiple options), and @subtledoctor just released a standalone mod for proficiencies. I give multiple options regarding number of pips assigned at level up and offering different versions of the profs themselves just gets needlessly more complicated.

7 minutes ago, Satrhan said:

The proficiency group 'exotic swords' sounds a bit off to me. Every other name is a description of the weapon or their function, but these are described as unusual or not from here. Perhaps 'Single edged blades/swords' or even 'curved swords' (although I don't think ninjato's are curved?) would fit better?

This is in alignment to the weapon group defined in 3.5e.

Hello, this error occurs when installing the @311 component.

Determining and assigning proficiencies for: MOBHAAL.CRE
ERROR: illegal 8-byte read from offset -1 of 1928-byte file MOFAM01.CRE
ERROR: [MOFAM01.CRE] -> [override/MOFAM01.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("MOFAM01.CRE: read out of bounds"))
Stopping installation because of error.
Stopping installation because of error.

ERREUR pendant l'installation de [Revision du Systeme de Competence - Ajout de nouvelles competences et de nouveaux styles de combat -> Progression normale des competences], retour a l'etat anterieur
Will uninstall 10893 files for [SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES/SKILLS-AND-ABILITIES.TP2] component 311.

Here is the changelog for this file

Mods affecting MOFAM01.CRE:
00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~TACTICS-REMIX/TACTICS-REMIX.TP2~ 1 5 // Le Gnome Guerrier / Illusionniste des Quais, de Kensai Ryuv0.4.1-alpha
00001:  ~CDTWEAKS/SETUP-CDTWEAKS.TP2~ 2 2620 // Make Certain Creatures Immune to Backstab/Sneak Attack [Luke]v16
00002:  ~MIH_TWEAKS/SETUP-MIH_TWEAKS.TP2~ 1 0 // Dégâts alternatifs sur les grosses créaturesv2
00003:  ~MIH_TWEAKS/SETUP-MIH_TWEAKS.TP2~ 1 6 // Give Monsters Bonus HPv2
00004:  ~METWEAKS/METWEAKS.TP2~ 1 3600 // Implementer un autre type d'animation de mort par eclatement.

And the differents versions of the file
MOFAM01.zip

Looks like it's this bug: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/35950-tactics-remix/?do=findComment&comment=325846

The cdtweaks backstab immunity does things low-level, so no safeties. MOFAM01 happens to have an effects offset of 0 in the creature file, which doesn't matter initially because there aren't any effects. Then the Tweaks component inserts an effect, at offset zero, which completely garbles the file; the signature that should be at offset zero isn't there any more, so it's not even recognizable as a CRE file. (I looked at those files you posted; #00001 looked fine, #00002 didn't even open in NI)

By the time MIH gets to it, the file is already hopelessly corrupted.

I'm pretty sure that newer versions of Tactics Remix patch the creature so it won't trip that issue.